• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Getting used to new habits for Coronavirus....

Hornet3d

Wise
So I am finally at a point I feel I can make some tentative steps in progressing the garden. I now have the basic shell of the planters built now they will need cleaning up and sanding down before painting. Once that is done the inserts need to be stapled in place before filling them with earth.

Planters HW.JPG

Just to confirm the idea Unreal had heard in that plants grow even if you are not watching them the first buds have appeared on one of the climbing plants by the arch.

Climber HWJPG.jpg

and the Creeping Jenny looks as though it has established itself and is beginning to send out runners.

Creeping Jenny HW.JPG

Hornet3d

Wise
What's the train tracks for?

It is now an abandoned line but was part of the live steam layout, this was the same area some five years ago.

Live Steam HW.jpg

The layout used to run around the garden with a loop either end. Sadly the line became an end to end layout when the summerhouse was erected (I decided spending quiet moments with my wife was a higher priority than running trains) which resulted it being only rarely used. This photo was taken in the live steam area and I still have all the engines and the rolling stock shown here. Most of the buildings still exist with some still dotted around the garden although some have been reduced to panels over the last few winters but could be re-erected with some care.

The line was originally electric with very much a German / Austrian as the engines were from LGB, where LGB stands for Lehmann Gross Bahn rather than any other group or association of society. Buildings were from Pola, most of which were sold to fund the move to live steam.

ReichenbacH HW.JPG

I do still own the first engine I ever purchased along with another given to me as a gift for one of my birthdays. This has particular sentimental value as my wife and I were lucky enough to have a tour of the LGB factory in Germany and saw this model being built.

The Old Mill Station HW.JPG

It was sad to see it all go but then the layout existed for around fifteen years in one form or another. I have plans to create a new layout in the front garden, a much simpler one but that has got as far as my idea of writing a book illustrated with my Poser renders.

Stezza

Dances with Bees
It is now an abandoned line but was part of the live steam layout, this was the same area some five years ago.

View attachment 71005

The layout used to run around the garden with a loop either end. Sadly the line became an end to end layout when the summerhouse was erected (I decided spending quiet moments with my wife was a higher priority than running trains) which resulted it being only rarely used. This photo was taken in the live steam area and I still have all the engines and the rolling stock shown here. Most of the buildings still exist with some still dotted around the garden although some have been reduced to panels over the last few winters but could be re-erected with some care.

The line was originally electric with very much a German / Austrian as the engines were from LGB, where LGB stands for Lehmann Gross Bahn rather than any other group or association of society. Buildings were from Pola, most of which were sold to fund the move to live steam.

View attachment 71006

I do still own the first engine I ever purchased along with another given to me as a gift for one of my birthdays. This has particular sentimental value as my wife and I were lucky enough to have a tour of the LGB factory in Germany and saw this model being built.

View attachment 71007

It was sad to see it all go but then the layout existed for around fifteen years in one form or another. I have plans to create a new layout in the front garden, a much simpler one but that has got as far as my idea of writing a book illustrated with my Poser renders.

before anyone asks... no :cool:

but gees it would be fun...

unreal

Noteworthy

View attachment 71005

View attachment 71006

View attachment 71007

I'm afraid I have to point out that you have exceeded your cool allowance for this thread. You are advised to wind that back a bit and replace those trains with something in the "HO scale" range. The 3d figures will have to go as well and substituted with black magic marker stick figures on cardboard cutouts. The tour of the LGB factory in Germany will be changed to "saw a youtube show about a guy who likes trains". Thank you for your understanding, but a thread can only handle just so much cool stuff. The garden was already flirting dangerous with that limit (in much the much way a hammer flirts with a nail).

Hornet3d

Wise
I'm afraid I have to point out that you have exceeded your cool allowance for this thread. You are advised to wind that back a bit and replace those trains with something in the "HO scale" range. The 3d figures will have to go as well and substituted with black magic marker stick figures on cardboard cutouts. The tour of the LGB factory in Germany will be changed to "saw a youtube show about a guy who likes trains". Thank you for your understanding, but a thread can only handle just so much cool stuff. The garden was already flirting dangerous with that limit (in much the much way a hammer flirts with a nail).

I would love to oblige but I cannot change history but I should make it clear the 3D figures all left the layout as they could not come to terms with change to a narrow gauge set up more suited to a British outlook. In fact it was probably more in keeping with a preserved Welsh narrow gauge line of which there are quite a few, or at least there were before Covid hit. Many I suspect will be struggling to survive as so many were already struggling with fiances before covid.

Actually, risking going overboard in big way here is my most memorable aspect of the LGB tour was when the owners took the whole group out for a meal and I was lucky enough the sit next to one of the brothers that founded the company. He was in his eighties at the time and a real character. He still went to work every day and when I asked if he had any regrets in life he smiled and said he never found enough time to play trains.

There is however a said end to the story as the company was handed down to the younger generation and after 100 year in business it was soon in trouble. The end result was the manufacturing was moved out of Germany and all those people who had stayed behind on a Friday afternoon so we could see LGB engines being built were out of a job. I know Wolfgang would have taken that personally it was an horrific situation. It was during this uncertain period (see it happens to other products not just Poser) that I moved to live steam from LGB.

eclark1894

Visionary
I apologize for being slightly off topic, but this is a chance to educate myself. Do Europeans or any other country's people ever "walk the tracks"? On the off chance you may not know that term, if you've ever seen the movie "Stand By Me", there's a scene where the boys are seen walking along the railroad tracks to get somewhere. I haven't seen the movie in a while myself, but I think they were looking for a dead body. I bring this up because you see this in American movies quite a bit, people walking along railroad tracks. It's even been done in old tv westerns, and I remember another film called "Boys N the Hood". I can't think of one foreign film I've ever seen where that happens. So, at this moment that I ask, I'm wondering if that's just an exclusive American cultural thing or if people do it worldwide?

Hornet3d

Wise
I apologize for being slightly off topic, but this is a chance to educate myself. Do Europeans or any other country's people ever "walk the tracks"? On the off chance you may not know that term, if you've ever seen the movie "Stand By Me", there's a scene where the boys are seen walking along the railroad tracks to get somewhere. I haven't seen the movie in a while myself, but I think they were looking for a dead body. I bring this up because you see this in American movies quite a bit, people walking along railroad tracks. It's even been done in old tv westerns, and I remember another film called "Boys N the Hood". I can't think of one foreign film I've ever seen where that happens. So, at this moment that I ask, I'm wondering if that's just an exclusive American cultural thing or if people do it worldwide?

I imagine it is something some people do in the UK but it is a practice that is frowned upon in the UK and in most cases is illegal. Working tracks are usually fenced off and any incursions are normally investigated by the British Transport Police. In most cases these days I imagine most breaches are either children playing on the line of adults looking to nick large chunks of the copper wire used for power distribution and signalling.

On the other hand there is immense interest in walking old and abandoned lines and many have been converted in to cycle tracks.

eclark1894

Visionary
I imagine it is something some people do in the UK but it is a practice that is frowned upon in the UK and in most cases is illegal. Working tracks are usually fenced off and any incursions are normally investigated by the British Transport Police. In most cases these days I imagine most breaches are either children playing on the line of adults looking to nick large chunks of the copper wire used for power distribution and signalling.

On the other hand there is immense interest in walking old and abandoned lines and many have been converted in to cycle tracks.
I'm surprised it's illegal in the UK. I don't think I've ever heard of the police investigating people walking along a railroad track unless it was obvious they were doing something wrong like trying to dig out the spikes. Btw, I never dug out any spikes, but in school we learned that when the first railroads were laid in the US. They used a Golden spike to finish laying the tracks. So I thought I'd go out on the tracks and see if I could find any of these gold spikes that were just laying there. And yes, I know the golden spike was most likely not actual gold, and located in Promontory Point, Utah, but hey, I was like eight.
:D

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
My grandmother used to walk across a railroad bridge because it was a shortcut. But the few times I had to go with her scared me absolutely to death. I wasn't even school age at the time, and 19 inch gaps between ties is a pretty big gap to a wee one, especially when it's a freaking bridge.

It is also illegal to walk on or beside train tracks in the US. All train tracks in the US are private property. It is considered trespassing unless you are crossing tracks at a railroad crossing or have permission from the railroad. Trespassing on railroad property is usually a misdemeanor, with penalties ranging from $100 to $1,000, and some jail time, depending on the state.

unreal

Noteworthy
I'd have been scared stiff on that bridge too Satira.
When I was a kid, we used to "walk the tracks" in Nebraska. It was very "stand by me" rural (well, Lincoln). We never walked any bridge but a very short one, and it was something we could safely dive from. We were stupid, but not insane :)

We never got close to a moving train "it'll suck you in!". Nor did we put pennies on the tracks to crush them flat "you'll derail the train!"

Stupid. But not insane. You know... kids :)

eclark1894

Visionary
When I was a kid, we used to "walk the tracks" in Nebraska. It was very "stand by me" rural (well, Lincoln). We never walked any bridge but a very short one, and it was something we could safely dive from. We were stupid, but not insane :)

We never got close to a moving train "it'll suck you in!". Nor did we put pennies on the tracks to crush them flat "you'll derail the train!"

Stupid. But not insane. You know... kids :)
IIRC, there's a scene in "Stand By Me" where the boys are crossing a bridge and a train is coming. That actually happened to me, only it was a trestle bridge. Once we started across, we had to keep going. There was no where to step off and let the train pass you by. And there was another time when we were walking the tracks looking for plums and wild berries to pick and eat. A train started coming around a bend behind us. We had to mad dash towards the nearest crossing because along the side of the tracks were briar bushes. No one wanted to jump off into that. :)

Hornet3d

Wise
So another bad night as it look as though the virus from a week ago has triggered my IBS.

Covid news in the UK is that the over fifties are to be invited to a booster jab so with an eye test, retinopathy scan and flu jab already booked in the next week or so there is another one on the way.

Better news though is we have our first flowers on the new archway climbers.

Arch Flower HW.JPG

Hornet3d

Wise
Planters are now smoothed, painted and had the inserts fixed so they are now just waiting for soil and planting. Railway track needs to be lifted but the old station platform has bee removed as that is the location for two smoke bushes when delivered.

Finished Planters HW.JPG

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Covid news in the UK is that the over fifties are to be invited to a booster jab so with an eye test, retinopathy scan and flu jab already booked in the next week or so there is another one on the way.
Good luck with the vaccines, eye test and scan.

Terre

Renowned
Seconded. I'm not quite old enough for them to be suggesting a booster for me here. Booster is not mandatory for anyone yet.