• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Nature's Wonders Sneak Peek Thread

Dreamer

Dream Weaver Designs
We seem to have two sorts here, a small greenish one and one almost as big as my thumb that is greyish black. Both very loud though there were not as many or as loud this year

Stezza

Dances with Bees
the cicadas where I live smash into the back screen door of our house trying to get in... the ones that are as big as a thumb are the small ones !!

:cautious::eek:

Sunfire

One Busy Little Bee
QAV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I hear cicadas every year sometimes louder than other years, but they're always out there a buzzing undercurrent to the rest of nature outside.

Stezza

Dances with Bees
where I live we have a huge abundance of wild parrots big and small.. the last two years however we have seen fewer and fewer birds but the cicadas have been loud and continuous..

the only one benefitting has been our large water dragon who sits on the tree stumps and plucks the cicadas out of the air with majestic ease..

but last week the corellas visited a town 15 minutes north of me... the cicadas have gone quiet!

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
A very interesting read Ken.
To be honest,... that Audubon article about Cicadas, plus one of the people on a podcast I listen to (Rational Security/Benjamin Wittes) going about Brood X inspired me to do the project.

---

For everybody who missed my Audubon Sale, I guess I'm going to be having another one since I'm Renderosity's Vendor of the Month. I asked that the sale be delayed a little since we just came off the Audubon one, so it will start at the beginning on June.

And speaking more about sales... my two newly released products, plus the five re-releases are finishing up their introductory sale.

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
A very nice Vendor of the Month article to announce it too, and I "finally" know where Notung came from. ;)

I've been wanting to ask you where you came up with that name, but kept forgetting. :D

There's much more to the story than Renderosity put in... As it said, I started off my TI-99/4a software career at Asgard Software. When it came time for me to start my own company, I decided to stay with those Nordic roots and chose "Notung" as my software company.

Notung comes from the Nordic myth, "Ring of the Nibelungs", in which the hero, Siegmund pulls a magic sword from a tree in his hour of need to fight off his enemies (sort of the Nordic version of Excalibur). At the end of the battle, Wotan (the God) strikes down Siegmund and shatters the sword.

Years later, Siegmund's son, Siegfried, reforges the sword and names it, "Notung", which roughly translates to "Needful" and becomes the next great hero. He slays a dragon with the sword, tastes its blood, and suddenly can comprehend birdsong. He also finds a magical golden ring in the dragon's hoard which brings him great power but is also cursed.

If all this sounds familiar, it is... Richard Wagner created a four-part Opera called "Der Ring des Nibelungen" which pretty much defines opera as we known it today (think lady in pigtails with a horned helmet and spear-- a valkyrie), and of course, there's J. R. Tolkien's "Hobbit" and "Lord of the Rings" that borrow significantly from the Nordic myth and Wagner's opera.

So there is it... Notung..."Needful" (or "Useful") Software

Last edited:

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Ken, I'm trying to load one of my poser files with the swan. Poser is looking for the sbrm3_swan.obj.

Do you have ANY idea, which product that swan obj was in? I have checked numerous product files, including Swans of the World (which is sbrm3_swan2.obj), but can't locate sbrm3_swan.obj.

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
I don't have a sbrm3_swan.obj in my runtime (only a sbrm3_swan2.obj) so I'm not sure... Swans of the World did undergo the "big" update in 2018 (as the sbrm3_swan2.obj file time stamp indicates) so my guess is that the sbrm3_swan2.ob must be from the original 2014 version which is obsolete. I don't think there were many major changes to the model in the 2018 update so you could try using the newer model's obj (copy and renamed it tosbrm3_swan.obj).