• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Nature's Wonders Sneak Peek Thread

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Here's what will be in the set:

Australia: Razor Grinder (cicada)
Asia: Large Brown Cicada
Europe: New Forest Cicada
West USA: Putnam's Cicada
East USA: Pharaoh 17-year Cicada (aka Brood X)
Central & South America: Giant Cicada (forewing length: 120mm!)

here's a peek at another one...

Attachments

• NW_Cicada_Promo1.jpg
    NW_Cicada_Promo1.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 172

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Since I'm working on the Cicada Manual too, I felt it was time to have a cover for it. That, of course, means a main promo render candidate... so here's candidate #1 (rendered in Firefly)... I'm relatively happy with it... it's colorful and the composition jumps.

NW_Cicada_Main.jpg

Last edited:

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Maybe I'll try another simpler, less wacky font-- but there was something about that font that said cicada to me

Playing around a simpler fonts... you're right, they work better... so I'll go more simple

Last edited:

DanaTA

Distinguished
I let spiders live. But when one crawls on my hand or something, I do kind of freak and fling it. Usually, this does no harm.

Dana

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I was JUST reading your post about this over at Renderosity. Unfortunately I have a doctor's appointment earlier that day, and not sure if I'll be back in time to attend. :(

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
Maybe reduce the width of the yellow outline on the title font? Assuming that the font is done in Photoshop or some such. Or maybe make it an inside stroke rather than an outside one? As it stands, there is clearly a bevel effect on the font, but not on the stroke and it makes the orange part look puffy. it's a bit distracting.

Stezza

Dances with Bees
I'll be doing a webinar on July 17th (1pm PST) called "Digital Nature" via Zoom. My 90 minute talk will include my background, art and life as a freelance artist plus focuses on my approaches to 3D digital bird-making, techniques and a crash course in composition and marketing.

Digital Nature : 3D Birdman Ken Gilliland | Digital Art Live

got an email from Digital Art Live ( dunno how ) about your webinar with my name and that I have bought some of your bundles @Ken Gilliland

just wondering how he would have got this info.