• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

WIP MEC4D - Creations for Dawn 2 and Dusk 2 , work in progress

MEC4D

Zbrushing through the topology
Contributing Artist
My Hubby: Honey what you making tonight?
Me: Bunny suit for the Baby Ela
My Hubby: Did you lost your mind? for a baby !! ??
Me: :cautious:?!?

:laugh: Next one will be a Little Piggy , having fun ..
Zbrush preview

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-05-02 031642.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-05-02 031642.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 120
  • Screenshot 2021-05-02 031753.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-05-02 031753.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 122
  • Screenshot 2021-05-02 032546.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-05-02 032546.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 127
  • Screenshot 2021-05-02 034738.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-05-02 034738.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 126
  • Screenshot 2021-05-02 034803.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-05-02 034803.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 128

MEC4D

Contributing Artist
Here's the Little Piggy :inlove:

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-05-02 052427.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-05-02 052427.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 112
  • Screenshot 2021-05-02 052359.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-05-02 052359.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 129
  • Screenshot 2021-05-02 052457.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-05-02 052457.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 114
  • Screenshot 2021-05-02 052519.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-05-02 052519.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 136
  • Screenshot 2021-05-02 052650.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-05-02 052650.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 108
  • Screenshot 2021-05-02 052709.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-05-02 052709.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 113

MEC4D

Contributing Artist
So cute! Baby Luna is one of the few 3D babies who is actually cute and not scary (won't mention others, but yikes!). Love seeing added cute factor :)
Yes Alisa, the base figure is very proportional to actual baby with proper baby anatomy to work with , I think the new textures will make the base looks better too as the old skin textures needs truly an update since it is photo based old style , too much light and shadows baked in, too many discolorations for a baby skin . New shaders and settings will bring the best of it to light.

MEC4D

Contributing Artist
Don't want to be rude Dana because not your fault , but that is not my vision of a healthy 4 months baby ( talking about the skin too much pigment discolorations make it looks sick ), the sleeper you made is cute. Babies have the most beautiful skin of anything that is life .
You can see the difference once it is done and rendered , and then we can talk.

Desertsilver

Busy Bee
I am thinking of Baby Luna new face , not easy task, 3D babies tend to look always evil especially if you want realistic baby. It is going to be a challenge. I have now little time before starting preparing stuff for D2FM again so not want to waste time and try new stuff.
Why IS that? Is it something to do with shrinking down the adult proportions?
Is it because the babies eyes are so much larger in proportion to the head that it messes up the rigging? Just curious

Desertsilver

Busy Bee
I am working today on new proper textures , you gonna see huge difference when rendering , I am not going to wait for BL2 as it may take too long, I am working 4 months now on all stuff so going to release the new kids for BL1 ASAP, they need also some variety of extra clothing to go with.
Any chance you might sell a skin resource for the D2 figures? ( crosses fingers)

DanaTA

Distinguished
Don't want to be rude Dana because not your fault , but that is not my vision of a healthy 4 months baby ( talking about the skin too much pigment discolorations make it looks sick ), the sleeper you made is cute. Babies have the most beautiful skin of anything that is life .
You can see the difference once it is done and rendered , and then we can talk.
I just used the Iray shader converter to get the skin to look good in Iray.

I didn't create the sleeper, just the Christmas texture for it. Glitteratti3D made the sleeper.

Dana

MEC4D

Contributing Artist
Why IS that? Is it something to do with shrinking down the adult proportions?
Is it because the babies eyes are so much larger in proportion to the head that it messes up the rigging? Just curious
Babies don't have big eyes at all, it is the shorter face illusion and smooth bone structures . How smoother the brow bone how bigger and brighter the eyes appearance .. more lights entering the eye area.

It is about the skull just above the eyes line , that what make most 3D baby looks scary, baby don't have developed this part of skull well , Luna have it just little prominent too making her more boyish look than actual girl but at that age there should be no visible difference in genders based on bones, baby eyes area is not developed yet and not are the eyes or eyelids , eyeballs are around 16-17 mm , then later can grow to max 27mm in diameter by adult but average is around 21-22mm , the eyes growing rapidly from born until 2-3 years old, then it stop and grow again at 12-16 then stop and grown slowly until 20 years of age reaching their final size.

Babies are the most fat kids of all mammals , they need to store the fat as they use a lot of energy in developing after they are born , so eating and sleeping and growing .

The baby face is split on 4 exactly the same parts just below the eyebrows line down the chin , no matter the toddler or newborn he proportions are the same , 4 parts after eyebrows line , once the final teeth grown , the face elongate and proportions change, bones moving around again , as it never stop from a baby o and adult bones moving , out face is not set in stones .. 80 years skull of a person that lost all natural teeth will collapse back to the form it was born .. just different scales of course but everything going back to the beginning..

the only parts that never stop growing are nose and ears .. bad engineering I guess , someone forgot to put the off switch on those lol

I am sculpting as always my stuff with an anatomy book on my side as a helper. I studied human forms but recreating 3D humans is not the same as drawing it or painting it. I think babies are most difficult as you need to see through the fat

The too prominent or too deep brow bone create shadow , if it too prominent it will create kinda shadow looking like a zorro mask what will make it looks more masculine ( preference for adult male characters ) , normally for Young kids and females it should casting just 2 separate shadows as aviator sunglasses form when you put light above the head .. When you look at the render you can see the difference , however Luna's face is not bad , just little gangster. Born to be wild ! The newborn face shape of Luna is perfect.

Regarding the body it is all perfect .. nothing to add or remove ..

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-05-02 234538.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-05-02 234538.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 92
  • Screenshot 2021-05-03 003254.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-05-03 003254.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 86
  • Screenshot 2021-05-03 053021.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-05-03 053021.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:

MEC4D

Contributing Artist
Luis did a very beautiful shape called Rose? I think. No skin, but a lovely shape.

Your knowledge and skill are so instructive! I wish I could sit over your shoulder and just watch.
Well when everything is done , maybe in free time I can give some workflow session life on youtube so we can all interact on the subject.
I saw couple of beautiful shapes for Luna face as well .
What I try here is making the major bases anatomically correct to human form to the fine details beyond what is already done what is very good job by Chris , just refining it deeper .. to reach the next level that base figures usually don't offer for a reason . What reason ? so artists like us can create own stuff and make it unique . The base figures are perfect ! and it gonna be only better from now on .

Last edited:

MEC4D

Contributing Artist
Any chance you might sell a skin resource for the D2 figures? ( crosses fingers)
I am no more doing regular photo skins , it is not necessary anymore , I create stuff in layers now , it is different approach , there are still samples from skin but everything flat without shadows and light .. not so pleasant for the eye at its own .. I work in layers on the same time so hard to edit after anything .. it is more the modern approach than our old school way . Unless you are interested in this kind of setup + shader and some instruction to it .

MEC4D

Contributing Artist
I just used the Iray shader converter to get the skin to look good in Iray.

I didn't create the sleeper, just the Christmas texture for it. Glitteratti3D made the sleeper.

Dana
It did not converted well , skin too dry, no sss , it could be set still very beautiful but need serious edit in the shader tree and edit some of the maps , I know because I tried , it not give good result , skins for Iray need to be well prepared any discoloration or baked light will make it looking not as good same for Poser .. things moving fast, stuff from yesterday is ancient already .. we reaching slowly the ultimate perfection , as I always said, no the skin make the human but its form , photo skins with baked light and shadows are thing of the past and should be forbidden already If we want to move forward .

DanaTA

Distinguished
I haven't been in Studio for a long time. Haven't done any 3D work for a long time. That shader "tree" is scary. But, it doesn't matter. I will leave character skins to talented people like you! I just know that it looked a lot better than the 3DL texture when done in Iray.

Dana

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
photo skins with baked light and shadows are thing of the past and should be forbidden already If we want to move forward .

I believe 99% of all Poser/DS figure textures were created from edited/blended photos, which have inherited undesired shadows. Many image editors nowadays can remove lighting from photos, but that also tends to bleach the colors considerably. So what is the alternative? Can this be done procedurally?