• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

I Just Wanted to Post an Image Thread

Mustakettu85

Motivated
I don't know much about ZB, but could you just export G3F and Aiko 3 to ZB, use A3 as a template and sculpt over G3F?
Yeah, it should work. I'm a Blender/Silo user, though :) zBrush UI is a nightmare for me.
It's funny; the transfer utility works so well when transferring most morphs, but that huge head of the default A3 shape really throws it off when it needs to recompute the difference between that and the Realistic morph :))

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Yeah, it should work. I'm a Blender/Silo user, though :) zBrush UI is a nightmare for me.
It's funny; the transfer utility works so well when transferring most morphs, but that huge head of the default A3 shape really throws it off when it needs to recompute the difference between that and the Realistic morph :))
Is there a tutorial that shows how to transfer morphs using the transfer utility? I've never had a lot of success with it.

A few nights ago, I watched this Disney Pixar animation called Soul. That movie inspired me to do this render.

Since I was doing lighting experiments, I thought I only use 1 spot light to create this split light image, however, I added one more spot light and pointed it to the wall. I wanted some detail to show thru from the wall, completing the overall look of the composition.

Here is the monochrome version. I actually render it in monochrome (saturation slider to 0) I added a slight blue tint on the foreground and a faint yellow tint on the background. in Photoshop.

Joe Blow (Mono)

This image has been resized to fit in the page. Click to enlarge.

robert952

Brilliant
I wanted a color version as well. I added a pair of glasses in this render.
Great concept. Super composition. This looks like well designed album art from a photo in a jazz lounge. I like the color version better.

But, I am not sure about the refraction/reflection of the eye in the (model's) right lens. It is good from a render standpoint that the engine handled the tracing and such very realistic. But also kind of creepy and disjointed looking. The diagonal line up the trumpet and lit face lines leads the viewer's eye straight to the lens. The flow stops at that point.

I think the colorized version without glasses eliminates the (at least for me) distraction from the overall image. The eye will then flow around the head and back to the trumpet.

Excellent artwork. Thanks for sharing.

P.S. I think Soul is a great movie with excellent story value.

Dreamer

Dream Weaver Designs
So I finally decided to have a play with G8.1 to see what I thought.
Custom dialed character, Lancy skin with some tweaking.
The face rig will take a bit of getting use to but can see it being useful.
MoonSilver2.jpg

Mustakettu85

Motivated
Is there a tutorial that shows how to transfer morphs using the transfer utility? I've never had a lot of success with it.
There used to be; it's been ages since I referred to one, though, so unfortunately no links handy. You need your target figure to have a shape mimicking the old figure (yeah, a clone), you set the working shapes, and then it's a matter of tweaking parameters. Sometimes you need to edit source geometry as well, for instance, removing the eyelash geometry so that the projection algo doesn't get thrown off around the eyeballs. The old Valzheimer "use the transfer utility to make the geometry of the target figure into a conformer, conform to the source in its default shape, dial in the morph so that the conformer follows it, export the conformer obj with the morph frozen and load it onto the target figure" method also works. A certain level of manual cleanup is often necessary, of course. Knowing how to use weight maps to split morphs also helps.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I would also like to see some documentation about what effect the Transfer Utility parameters have on projections, when to use them, and what would be the best values depending on the kind of transfer. So far I have been "guestimating" the values, but I would rather know which to use and for what purpose.

Mustakettu85

Motivated
I would also like to see some documentation about what effect the Transfer Utility parameters have on projections, when to use them, and what would be the best values depending on the kind of transfer. So far I have been "guestimating" the values, but I would rather know which to use and for what purpose.
Once on the DAZ forums we were gently (as we thought) making fun of how lacking the DS documentation is, and Rob Wh. appeared to be disappointed by our attitude and said stuff to the point of either he's doing development or he's writing docs full-time. Looks like DAZ do not have a complete team with dedicated professionals.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Once on the DAZ forums we were gently (as we thought) making fun of how lacking the DS documentation is, and Rob Wh. appeared to be disappointed by our attitude and said stuff to the point of either he's doing development or he's writing docs full-time. Looks like DAZ do not have a complete team with dedicated professionals.

I understand that, since they are giving DS away for free, they don't want to invest on it. But it's not like they couldn't afford to. It seems to me they just chose not to many years ago. Last documentation I saw was for DS3, so this is not something new. It's a choice they made.

I understand that, since they are giving DS away for free, they don't want to invest on it. But it's not like they couldn't afford to. It seems to me they just chose not to many years ago. Last documentation I saw was for DS3, so this is not something new. It's a choice they made.
I'm sure Daz will come up with some type of documentation soon™

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
There used to be; it's been ages since I referred to one, though, so unfortunately no links handy. You need your target figure to have a shape mimicking the old figure (yeah, a clone), you set the working shapes, and then it's a matter of tweaking parameters. Sometimes you need to edit source geometry as well, for instance, removing the eyelash geometry so that the projection algo doesn't get thrown off around the eyeballs. The old Valzheimer "use the transfer utility to make the geometry of the target figure into a conformer, conform to the source in its default shape, dial in the morph so that the conformer follows it, export the conformer obj with the morph frozen and load it onto the target figure" method also works. A certain level of manual cleanup is often necessary, of course. Knowing how to use weight maps to split morphs also helps.
Thanks I will have a look and see what I can find. If I'm reading what you wrote correctly. I should be able to create a clone from Dawn 1 for Dawn 2 and then transfer morphs as well as clothing which I was already planning on doing if there isn't one when Dawn 2 is released. Can you use a clone that is already there? For example if I wanted to transfer Genesis 3 morphs to Genesis 8? Just an example as I own the utility to do this already.
I feel for Rob. He has a very difficult role in some respects and doesn't get the support he should from DAZ to do what is necessary iin my opinion. I too would like more documentation though.

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
Back at Hogwarts, Harry discovers a mysterious room on the 7th floor. It seems to be enormous, and filled with forgotten items. And someone has been living there.

When he brings Professor Snape to see, the place has been tidied up and there is no sign of an occupant left.

Then, before any investigation regarding the intruder can be mounted, the Basilisk is released into the school. Professor Burbage is petrified (having seen it through Harry's magical peephole in the Explorers' clubroom), and Harry calls it back into the chamber where the Elves have deposited a meal for it. A meal heavily dosed with a sleeping potion.

They do try to interview the creature, but it isn't particularly chatty. And soon succumbs to sleep. The Chamber is re-sealed and Professor Sprout has mandrakes available for a restoration drag for Charity.

The Basilisk's Banquet, in 2011,
2011.jpg

And in 2020.
2020.jpg