• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

I Just Wanted to Post an Image Thread

Hornet3d

Wise
Taking bad advice.

Lone Drinker HW.jpg

Hornet3d

Wise
I noticed the Artifacts 2 Hornet used states there are .CR2s, so yes, but the original Artifacts set only lists .DUF files, though at the bottom there's the line under Notes that states there's 1 Poser Core Installer, so not sure. Oh and Planet Edesa mentions .CR2 files as well, so I would assume he's still supporting Poser.

The way that the products are presented does make the Poser situation confusing but I buy a lot of Petipet content and I have yet to find the any product that does not have a separate runtime for Poser. It is therefore just the case of doing a manual download, unzipping the folder and moving the runtime to your choice of location from there is works straight from the box.

Planet Edesa, Artifacts 1 and 2 all have Poser runtimes as do the Solaris range and Alpha Town and City. If anyone is interested in buying any product but wants to check before they do they can contact me by site mail, I am happy to confirm the Poser situation as long as I have the product. I have all but about a dozen items so I can confirm a very bug chunk.

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
On the way back from a visit to Professor Snape Harry walks into a confrontation between Ron Weasley and Ernie McMillian, over Ron's wandering rat and Ernie's Kneazle. The upshot is that Harry accompanies Ron part of the way up to Gryffindor tower.

After they part company someone hexes Harry in the hall. Harry gives chase. He loses the unidentified hexer and ends up in an unused bathroom -- which turns out to be haunted.
In 2011,
2011.jpg

And in 2020.
2020.jpg

It is nice. I also do post work on my renders. I don't think is a bad thing doing post work like some people think.
It is not a bad thing to do postwork.
ack in the days, before firefly/superfly/Iray, I would spend a lot of time postworking a render. Sometimes using layers upon layers, practically painting over the images. Poser and Daz Studio have matured enough to give you decent renders. Now I spend very little time on postwork. Most of the postwork I do now it for color, contrast, and minor corrections.

It is a point of pride when you do manage to get everything in render. but there's no shame in adjusting the curves or layers or exposure. People might as well sneer at needing to resize things.

And some things need to be done in layers and composited in post just to get all of the characters into the scene.
It is no shame indeed to do some adjusting. No matter how advance Poser and DS is, even with all the good lighting, tonemapping, and postrender processing within the program, most renders still lack the 'pop' and 'vibrance' Postwork can add that 'pop' that stands out.

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
And then you get situations like the illo above where the ghost was done in post. For the 2011 version I was able to do the ghost in-render with the old Pw Ghost shader. I was still working in DS3 back then. Those shaders were updated for DS4, because I was able to use it again for a different render some time around 2012. But it definitely doesn't work now.

So the ghost is a separate render, converted to B&W, on its own layer and screened back, with a layer style added.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
It's amazing how many people lurk at Rendo. It's thousands at any given time. At DeviantArt it gets to millions of people, though their new Eclipse interface has been scaring people away more recently. The more people in the site, the harder it gets to be seen in the crowd. I have just started posting renders at Rendo early last month, and this week they have featured one of them in their "Staff Pick of the Week". It's one that features Dawn, the "Universal Anime Head", and the new claws I've created for DawnSE. I was last featured at dA 16 years ago, so this is good for a change. Rendo is so large I was feeling rather small there, but looks like we can still be seen. ^___^

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Hey, I'm not a vendor, yet two of my renders were picked for the Staff Pick of the Week back in 2018 . . . both in the same week. :D

It IS a nice feeling. :)

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I am not a vendor either - or at least until Rendo resolves the store transfer issues. This is the very first time I have no store in over 17 years. It's a strange feeling, like something is missing.

At the Rendo forums, that's an alien environment to me, with a little bit of LaFemme, and the rest is Genesis, even in the Poser galleries. They rather stumble over a figure that doesn't work in Poser than giving Dawn a try. But I get it - they want shiny contents from the big vendors, and that's the price to pay. I won't comment on that - I don't know where I am stepping over there. It appears to be massively DAZ users, so the ice might be thin. :)

I think the Rendo staff hates me. I've had staff picks in the past, but the newer staff removed 3 of my images last year and banned me for 3 days. I guess they've changed their TOS recently. Anyhoo, I still get more reactions, views and comments at DA than any other places. I find Rendo is more poser centric, Daz (they broke their gallery atm). and DA is just 'chaotic with their new eclipse.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I think the Rendo staff hates me. I've had staff picks in the past, but the newer staff removed 3 of my images last year and banned me for 3 days. I guess they've changed their TOS recently. Anyhoo, I still get more reactions, views and comments at DA than any other places. I find Rendo is more poser centric, Daz (they broke their gallery atm). and DA is just 'chaotic with their new eclipse.

I think your renders are some of the best I have seen around (I don't say this often!). I assume you use DAZ/Genesis, right? My motto is that the tool doesn't make the artist. People who make good renders are not getting good results because they use this or that software - it's because of THEM. Tools don't make art - people do. I find it funny when people see a nice render, and the only thing they ask is "what did you use to make it?", which is like removing the artist from the results. That's a little insulting, but I get it, that's how people think - which explains the Poser vs DS war, like if that makes any difference. For those who brag about the tools, I made a render in both Poser and DS, and then asked people to tell me which one was which. They couldn't tell, so which is the better? I rest my case. But seriously, I would assume your renders would be featured all the time.

I was surprised for the low page hits on my gallery posts at Rendo. These same renders got hits by the hundreds at DA just on the first day, but struggle to get a dozen views at Rendo - even the one that got featured. Rendo has thousands of users logged in at any time, so I would assume they must be DS users in the majority, judging by the store contents. Page views do not mean people have to like the renders, but at least would want to see them. I only post at the Poser gallery, so I assume that's the reason for the low attendance. But then I went to the DS galleries, and the numbers are also low. I can only assume the Rendo galleries are not popular. People go there mostly to shop. Even with the Eclipse disaster, I still get more page views at DA. Who would ever guess that? What happened?

DogWalker.jpg

Dog Walker.

I've sold my 2 RTX2080Ti cards to my nephew and brother-in-law (their own xmas presents). I have a lowly GTX1060 Video card atm. I've ordered a RTX3090, but won't know when to receive it (EVGA estimates sometime in March). Meanwhile I just have to make due with the 1060. Normally, I wouldn't worry about resources with the two RTXs, but now I have to be stingy with what I can put into a render..... For this render (7 figures) I can't put in a Stonemason ish environment, so I put in a HDRi (yes, the entire background with building, streets in a HDRi map. That presented an issue with figure placement. I used a product call HDRi Toolkit available at Daz and was able to create matte plane to give the scene more depth and corrective shadows and occulation, as well as putting part of the objects in the map in front of figures (see electric pole in front of car and fire truck). Along with scripts like Scene Optimization, I was able to fit everything under 6 GB VRAM.
The main G8F figure is subd 3, the dog subd 2, the remaining G3, G8, and vehicles are subd 1. The main figures textures are 4K, all background figure textures are reduced to 1K.

Stezza

Dances with Bees
I started off with a cylinder in Carrara to model a wacky megaphone for LoRenzo and things went from wacky to weird real quick! :devil"