• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Rendering Poser 12

Hornet3d

Wise
On the plus side of Hivewire closing and joining Rendo is that many of their products MAY join the Poser content downloads. We already have Dusk and Dawn. Maybe Dusk and Dawn 2 in Poser 12?:please:

One great plus if they went down that route is that the Poser developers could concentrate on improving how Posers actually works rather than spend time on figure development. I think they have done well with Poser 12 by really improving the support of cycles in Superfly and also opening up the possibility of GPU rendering to a wider audience along with a number of other improvements.

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
One great plus if they went down that route is that the Poser developers could concentrate on improving how Posers actually works rather than spend time on figure development. I think they have done well with Poser 12 by really improving the support of cycles in Superfly and also opening up the possibility of GPU rendering to a wider audience along with a number of other improvements.
GPU renders are super fast now. I'm on the beta team for Poser 12 and I can tell you that the OptiX option, if you have an RTX based NVIDIA card, is lightning fast. Faster than allot of my tests comparing render times between DS iRAY and Poser 12 OptiX rendering. So many improvements! I'm still hinting to the code team for a few more improvements but not quite there yet!

Attachments

• Poser 12 OptiX render option.png
    Poser 12 OptiX render option.png
    47 KB · Views: 242

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
Yea, pretty cool speed enhancements for those with RTX cards. IIRC they are working on a solution for non RTX cards but there is no word on when that will happen!

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
When you get the cash flow from all these scripts you making get an RTX card. You'll see what I mean! LOL

Y-Phil

New-Bee
GPU renders are super fast now. I'm on the beta team for Poser 12 and I can tell you that the OptiX option, if you have an RTX based NVIDIA card, is lightning fast. Faster than allot of my tests comparing render times between DS iRAY and Poser 12 OptiX rendering. So many improvements! I'm still hinting to the code team for a few more improvements but not quite there yet!

Don't forget that it may be even faster if "Adaptive Sampling w/threshold" is checked.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I render with an old GTX 980 Ti, and it's fast enough, I can't complain.
My 1 yr. old laptop has a GTX card, though it's a GTX 1660 ti, which is running on the same Touring setup as the RTX cards. I specifically didn't get the RTX card it was, by default, showing on the store page, because folks at Renderosity had posted there were issues with the RTX cards not working with P11, but the newer GTX cards are Touring also, so I had to wait for that to be updated in Poser before I could use my GPU when rendering.

That said, my renders are a lot quicker with my CPU as well, mostly because my other 8 yr. old laptop was a Quad Core, and this one is a Hex Core with more RAM, so it's overall setup is a lot newer and better, and I think it ALL has to do with getting my renders done much quicker than with my old laptop.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Well, I hope they do for Poser 12's OptiX option what they did for the GTX 1660 ti (and newer) GPU cards ALSO running on Touring with Poser 11. It took a while, but they got it to recognize ALL Touring based GPUs. Otherwise, I'll never be able to use the OptiX option when rendering.

Sunfire

One Busy Little Bee
QAV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Even if you don't have an RTX based NVIDIA card, Poser 12 is still faster than P11, QAVing in P11 is torture in comparison.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Sunfire said:

Even if you don't have an RTX based NVIDIA card, Poser 12 is still faster than P11, QAVing in P11 is torture in comparison.
That's good to know. I would just like to be able to have the OptiX option available at some point.

Sunfire

One Busy Little Bee
QAV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I wouldn't mind having a card capable of OptiX. Not sure they'd even fit in my Dell.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
RTX cards are still price-prohibitive where I live (twice the US price), not to mention they sold out in 30 seconds, and were never restocked. It's a different reality in the 5th world.

Y-Phil

New-Bee
My 1 yr. old laptop has a GTX card, though it's a GTX 1660 ti, which is running on the same Touring setup as the RTX cards. I specifically didn't get the RTX card it was, by default, showing on the store page, because folks at Renderosity had posted there were issues with the RTX cards not working with P11, but the newer GTX cards are Touring also, so I had to wait for that to be updated in Poser before I could use my GPU when rendering.

That said, my renders are a lot quicker with my CPU as well, mostly because my other 8 yr. old laptop was a Quad Core, and this one is a Hex Core with more RAM, so it's overall setup is a lot newer and better, and I think it ALL has to do with getting my renders done much quicker than with my old laptop.

I confirm: Poser 11 can use recent RTX card. The problem with the GTX1660 is that nvidia has never provided the right library for this card.
That being said, I have test Poser 12 on my 2nd computer: a box with a GTX1660, and Poser 12 can use it, but no OtpiX option.
You should give it a try, as it's free for 21 days.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Yes, I thought that the GTX 1660 ti would be fine, just not able to use the OptiX option. We shall see what the future holds. ;)

Miss B

CV-BEE
I wouldn't mind having a card capable of OptiX. Not sure they'd even fit in my Dell.
Do you have a Dell laptop or desktop? This is an Alienware laptop, but I bought it at Dell, and it can handle an RTX card, as that's how it was initially setup on the store page. If you have a Dell G Series (Dell's own gaming laptop), then I'm not sure, as I didn't look into that one when I was looking for a new laptop last year.

Sunfire

One Busy Little Bee
QAV-BEE
Contributing Artist
It's a desktop, one of the XPS serise, but it's older, got it a few years back. Few like as in 2 or 3.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Ohhh, that was you Alisa? I was wondering because my "alerts" all had a question mark instead of an avatar.

Thanks, as I'm sure folks will want to continue this discussion, and I had to go out, and just got back.