• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Rendering Poser 12

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
It's a desktop, one of the XPS serise, but it's older, got it a few years back. Few like as in 2 or 3.
Ahhh, I like the Dell XPS computers. It's not that old, but the RTX cards I think just started coming out last year, so not sure about the fit into an XPS computer.

Maybe take a look at Dell and see if they offer it, though they may have newer XPS desktops now, so no telling. I suppose Dell Support would know if your model could handle the RTX card.

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
I wouldn't mind having a card capable of OptiX. Not sure they'd even fit in my Dell.

Yea, these "muscle cards" are longer and take up two slots in my machine. Back in the day I had sent off for a new video card and my rig was a medium case but on the small side so it was a no go. I remember being SO MAD about that! LOL

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
Oh and the RTX works fine in Poser 11 so obviously there must have been the appropriate update to the code when I jumped on board to use Poser full time!

Miss B

CV-BEE
Oh and the RTX works fine in Poser 11 so obviously there must have been the appropriate update to the code when I jumped on board to use Poser full time!
Yes, at first I had to wait to use my GPU until they updated. I think the update came through with one of the 11.3.x updates.

Hornet3d

Wise
The other plus in the area of renders in Poser 12 is the load presets which give you a good starting point with some of the additions in the new version, which I have Carey to think for guiding me in their direction.

parkdalegardener

Adventurous
Ahhh, I like the Dell XPS computers. It's not that old, but the RTX cards I think just started coming out last year, so not sure about the fit into an XPS computer.

Maybe take a look at Dell and see if they offer it, though they may have newer XPS desktops now, so no telling. I suppose Dell Support would know if your model could handle the RTX card.
My 4 year old mid-tower Dell XPS has sadly won't take an RTX card. No chance of the new XPS laptops having GTX or RTX graphics. Intel EVO processor with the graphics on die. As the TV commercials here for the XPS sing "she's a thing of beauty." Indeed but beyond my budget. It was cheaper to build a new 10 gen i7 to add in my RTX card than the new XPS.

Miss B

CV-BEE
I hadn't realized until yesterday the RTX cards were a different physical size than the GTX, so I won't be looking for one any time in the future. For now my newer GTX card is working just fine, thank you very much. ;)

Steve.M

Enthusiast
Yea, pretty cool speed enhancements for those with RTX cards. IIRC they are working on a solution for non RTX cards but there is no word on when that will happen!
They will be waiting for the blender devs to finish implementation in blender.

Currently in blender 2.9x, OptiX will work on non RTX cards (with compute 5 ability), but it is still experimental. I have tried it with a GTX1080, and is about 25% faster than Cuda, but does crash Nvidia drivers occasionally.

Doug Hunter

Busy Bee
Contributing Artist
Can anyone help (or know of a thread) with the difference between Poser 11 and 12 renders. Particularly with regard to normal and height maps with PhysicalSurface;

Here is a Poser 11 render;
Poser11 Render.png

And here is a render with the same settings in Poser 12;
Poser12 Render.png

MEC4D

Zbrushing through the topology
Contributing Artist
From Poser12 render I can see the normals are flipped Vertically , probably a bug , as you can't just flip Normals be default and be OK with that, it reversing the way light reflects in the scene ( upside down )

Doug Hunter

Busy Bee
Contributing Artist
From Poser12 render I can see the normals are flipped Vertically , probably a bug , as you can't just flip Normals be default and be OK with that, it reversing the way light reflects in the scene ( upside down )
Yes thanks,
I'll wait for the developers to fix the bug.

MEC4D

Contributing Artist
Doug , I just checked the PhysicalSurface and new Normal and Height map both FireFly and SuperFly rendering everything translated OK and in the proper direction , I am suspecting you experiencing lost in translation between materials from Poser11 to Poser12 , I assume you used Poser11 materials in Poser12 ? that is only one explanation , I can't find anything else

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
I've notified the Poser 12 team and linked them to this thread about the flipped Normals issue!

MEC4D

Contributing Artist
I've notified the Poser 12 team and linked them to this thread about the flipped Normals issue!
all is fine with P12 and Normals .. the material Doug used from Poser11 may translate it wrong in Poser12 ,
the Normals are UP as it should for Poser , I checked Tangent space etc..

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-05-22 113323.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-05-22 113323.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 131

Doug Hunter

Busy Bee
Contributing Artist
I can not get that result.

It's flipping the normals before I plug it in.
I even tried it with openGL and DirectX.

When I load any normal map into an image_map I get this;

NormalsImage.png

MEC4D

Contributing Artist
I can not get that result.

It's flipping the normals before I plug it in.
I even tried it with openGL and DirectX.

When I load any normal map into an image_map I get this;

View attachment 69416
That's very weird , this is another level , let me check if a custom Gamma value you selected do that maybe , what is the format of the Normal image ? jpeg or other ? and if you use the last build ?

Doug Hunter

Busy Bee
Contributing Artist
That's very weird , this is another level , let me check if a custom Gamma value you selected do that maybe , what is the format of the Normal image ? jpeg or other ? and if you use the last build ?
.png

Yes Poser 12 up-to-date