• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

WIP HiveWire Wolf Has Begun!

Harimau

Eager
Hi Chris, here are some images that may help you with your Wolf (the images and captions are taken from the book, "Canids of the World Wolves, Wild Dogs, Foxes, Jackals"):

Different facial expressions in Wolf.jpg

Different facial expressions in Wolf: (1) threatened, afraid face, with wrinkled muzzle, ears pulled
back, eyes narrowed, and bared teeth; (2) aggressive, threat face, with erect ears, and open mouth; (3) yawning
face, usually signaling a tired Wolf; (4) alert or neutral face; (5) relaxed face; (6) howling face.

Variations in pelage color in Wolf.jpg

Variations in pelage color in Wolf (Canis lupus): Coat color varies more in the Wolf than in almost
any other wild species, with colors from white through cream, buff, tawny, reddish, and gray to black (melanistic).
Such variation occurs throughout its range, although gray predominates. The occurrence of colors other than
gray seems to increase in the higher altitudes. Several of the color phases may be found in a single litter.

wolf_pelt_colors_by_pookyhorse_d5ral14-fullview.jpg

Wolf Pelts showing a range of pelage colors (from a different source).

More Images of interest from the same book, "Canids of the World" showing relatives of Wolves that you may consider doing in future!

Variety of size and body shape in Canids.jpg

Variety of size and body shape in Canids: (1) Gray Wolf (Canis lupus); (2) Maned Wolf (Chrysocyon
brachyurus
); (3) African Wild Dog (Lycaon pictus); (4) Red Fox (Vulpes vulpes); (5) Gray Fox (Urocyon
cinereoargenteus); (6)
Bush Dog (Speothos venaticus); (7) Fennec Fox (Vulpes zerda).

Caniforma.jpg

Caniforma (Left to Right):
Canidae: Gray Wolf (Canis lupus signatus);
Ursidae: Brown Bear (Ursus arctos);
Phocidae: Gray Seal (Halichoerus grypus);
Odobenidae: Walrus (Odobenus rosmarus);
Otariidae: Steller Sea Lion (Eumetopias jubatus);
Ailuridae: Red Panda (Ailurus fulgens);
Mephitidae: Striped Skunk (Mephitis mephitis);
Procyonidae: Ring-tailed Coati (Nasua nasua);
Mustelidae: Least Weasel (Mustela nivalis)

AnimaGemini

Living in the clouds
Contributing Artist
Agree Miss B.
I always hope I see wolves in real here where I live. But till now no chance. I could take photos from many animals which lives here in the Vosges,but wolves are special shy. But keep trying to get a photo from them.
I know I am crazy :D. My husband use to say, one day you will die for sure because you pet something which you should not . :roflmao:

Rowan54

Dragon Queen
Contributing Artist
I saw wolves in my yard once. Two of them. One red furred, one gray furred. One of them was driving my flock of chickens towards where the other one was hiding. I ran out of the house with slippers on my feet, a notebook in one hand and a pen in the other while yelling like a berserker. Fortunately, the wolves ran for it.
The chickens lived to be eaten by something else. (Coyotes, fox, three sizes of owls, three sizes of hawks, the larger weasel we have, or something else on the list of critters I met because I had chickens. Our current next door neighbor had a face-to-face meeting with a mountain lion because she was locking her hens into her garage for the night and Mr. Very Large Kitty was waiting for her when she opened the door. Keeping chickens is hazardous out here.)

AnimaGemini

Living in the clouds
Contributing Artist
I saw wolves in my yard once. Two of them. One red furred, one gray furred. One of them was driving my flock of chickens towards where the other one was hiding. I ran out of the house with slippers on my feet, a notebook in one hand and a pen in the other while yelling like a berserker. Fortunately, the wolves ran for it.
The chickens lived to be eaten by something else. (Coyotes, fox, three sizes of owls, three sizes of hawks, the larger weasel we have, or something else on the list of critters I met because I had chickens. Our current next door neighbor had a face-to-face meeting with a mountain lion because she was locking her hens into her garage for the night and Mr. Very Large Kitty was waiting for her when she opened the door. Keeping chickens is hazardous out here.)

I envy you. I only see one time a Wolf from away in South Tirol where I had a Chalet .He keeps coming every night and watch the house .But he was way to far to take a pic. Here in the Vosges till now, none.But we have here a Fox family which since generations :D take the same road behind the houses in the forest, we have a little deer (which now grow up) which since months eat my neighbors plants (he oversee a huge hole in his fence, now he just let it like it is) ,little squirrels which live in our tree . And when the weather is nice on weekend, we use to hike in a area here where you can meet Mountain Goats ( don't know the exact English name) .This year I had luck and could come very close to one for photos. (Just 2-3 meters) :D

carmen indorato

Extraordinary
Hi Chris, here are some images that may help you with your Wolf (the images and captions are taken from the book, "Canids of the World Wolves, Wild Dogs, Foxes, Jackals"):

View attachment 50764
Different facial expressions in Wolf: (1) threatened, afraid face, with wrinkled muzzle, ears pulled
back, eyes narrowed, and bared teeth; (2) aggressive, threat face, with erect ears, and open mouth; (3) yawning
face, usually signaling a tired Wolf; (4) alert or neutral face; (5) relaxed face; (6) howling face.

View attachment 50765
Variations in pelage color in Wolf (Canis lupus): Coat color varies more in the Wolf than in almost
any other wild species, with colors from white through cream, buff, tawny, reddish, and gray to black (melanistic).
Such variation occurs throughout its range, although gray predominates. The occurrence of colors other than
gray seems to increase in the higher altitudes. Several of the color phases may be found in a single litter.

View attachment 50766
Wolf Pelts showing a range of pelage colors (from a different source).

More Images of interest from the same book, "Canids of the World" showing relatives of Wolves that you may consider doing in future!

View attachment 50767
Variety of size and body shape in Canids: (1) Gray Wolf (Canis lupus); (2) Maned Wolf (Chrysocyon
brachyurus
); (3) African Wild Dog (Lycaon pictus); (4) Red Fox (Vulpes vulpes); (5) Gray Fox (Urocyon
cinereoargenteus); (6)
Bush Dog (Speothos venaticus); (7) Fennec Fox (Vulpes zerda).

View attachment 50768

Caniforma (Left to Right):
Canidae: Gray Wolf (Canis lupus signatus);
Ursidae: Brown Bear (Ursus arctos);
Phocidae: Gray Seal (Halichoerus grypus);
Odobenidae: Walrus (Odobenus rosmarus);
Otariidae: Steller Sea Lion (Eumetopias jubatus);
Ailuridae: Red Panda (Ailurus fulgens);
Mephitidae: Striped Skunk (Mephitis mephitis);
Procyonidae: Ring-tailed Coati (Nasua nasua);
Mustelidae: Least Weasel (Mustela nivalis)
Wow! Did not realize the wolf was almost as big s a bear! And in the comparison collage to the man....is that normal sized western man or something else? seems more Indios (more native south sea islander or eskimo)and therefore smaller?

carmen indorato

Extraordinary
I was wondering I bought the War dog from DAZ when first released (looks like the dogs used by the orcs in LOTR) except it is just one more unsupported frutrating single color animal that drives me freaking crazy to not be able to alter for different render needs. It does not require a hair room knowledge and seems to have strand fur built in which is great for Poser inepts like me. I know Laurie will again out do herself creating fur real fur options fo it when the time comes but can she also create a fake fur option for it? Say limited strand options fo the ruff and shoulder hump and tail and throat and belly in limited areas to add the realism? It would make it more process friendly and better suited for short time lower rez rendering without looking smooth and flat?

HaiGan

Energetic
Contributing Artist
I'm sure someone already mentioned it, but I can't spot that post- the neck ruff is fur, so would it be possible to have a 'ruff-less' version allowing the ruff to then be created with LAMH/Poser hair, please?

Chris

HW3D President
Staff member
Co-Founder
I'm sure someone already mentioned it, but I can't spot that post- the neck ruff is fur, so would it be possible to have a 'ruff-less' version allowing the ruff to then be created with LAMH/Poser hair, please?

Yes, certainly. I do have plans to make a thinner wolf morph to compensate for the LAMH product that Laurie has plans for. Thanks for the reminder, I will need to get on that.