• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

"Spin to Win" Render Challenge! - CLOSED!

LisaB

HW3D Vice President & Queen Bee
Staff member
Co-Founder
Is it within the spirit of the requirements to use products currently in development and intended for future sale, or should it use ONLY a combination of currently-available products, or could it use currently-available products plus Poser magnets...?

It should be products that are currently available to all. This is a dial spin challenge to produce unique characters. If you have to use magnets to make something fit, that's one thing, but the character creation part should not use magnets.

LisaB

Staff member
Co-Founder
Not a bad idea. One of the CVs had mentioned having separate render challenges, one for humans, and one for animals. I just didn't think running two challenges at the same time would be a good idea.

Having a separate render challenge for the HW animals at some point after the HW humans render challenge has ended, and the winners chosen, is a good way to satisfy those who would prefer to work with the HW animals instead. Thanks for mentioning this as an alternative.
Okay, then lets clarify the Rules and Guidelines to say "human/humanoid" figures. We can do a separate animal Render Challenge next which will be lots of fun considering how much we have to mix and match!

LisaB

Staff member
Co-Founder
How about a partially repainted skin for a character? (Like adding details that weren't in the purchased skin.)
Yes, you can combine this with your dial spins to create something new and unique.

Stezza

Dances with Bees
you may need to clarify in the rules that a HW3d morph product needs to be obtained from the store to be eligible.

just that I read it totally different to what's being explained. o_O :cautious:

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Hmmm good point Stezza, as there are morphs packs by other vendors at other stores, such as Renderosity. I'll check with Lisa about that, but I don't think the morph packs necessarily have to be HiveWire morph packs. It's just the characters have to be HiveWire characters.

LisaB

Staff member
Co-Founder
Have we to list what we use to do it?
That's up to the CVs to decide but it would be nice to share what you used.

you may need to clarify in the rules that a HW3d morph product needs to be obtained from the store to be eligible.

just that I read it totally different to what's being explained. o_O :cautious:

Any morph product that you have purchased from any store can be used in combination with other dials in the figure.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Oh, you beat me to it Lisa. I was JUST going to ask you about what Stezza mentioned.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Have we to list what we use to do it?
I agree with Lisa on this. We didn't decide to make that a necessity, but it would be nice to list what you've used, as that may give some folks ideas for what they can use, whether for the Render Challenge, or just for the fun of it.

Stezza

Dances with Bees

Any morph product that you have purchased from any store can be used in combination with other dials in the figure.

but it doesn't state that in the rules..

Create the faces you've always wanted to by spinning morph dials to create a unique character, or characters, and use it/them in a render for a chance to win!

If you create a morph you have to spin it to get it... but it doesn't say I have to purchase anything to get that morph. Like my dog morphs.. I created them then spun them up to get the shape.. but not eligible because I didn't buy them from anywhere which it doesn't state in the rules...

Just seem to be confusing especially when you read the rules but then all these amendments are posted later without clarification on the first post..

I might sound picky but what I read and what's allowed seems to be two different things..

Rules & Guidelines:
  • At least one HiveWire family member, such as Dawn, Dusk, Luna, or any other HiveWire figure you wish to use.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Just seem to be confusing especially when you read the rules but then all these amendments are posted later without clarification on the first post..

I might sound picky but what I read and what's allowed seems to be two different things.
It may feel as if you're being picky, but this is the first time we've done this sort of Render Challenge, and the first time we've had folks asking for more clarification. If nothing else, I'm learning a lot that will be helpful for future Render Challenges the CV's present to the HiveWire Community.

You've participated in practically all of the Render Challenges we've had the past few years Stezza, and this is the first time anyone has needed clarification, and we're going to learn from it, that's for sure.

That all said, I apologize to everyone for causing any confusion, and hopefully this won't happen again. I'm taking LOTS of notes. ;)

LisaB

Staff member
Co-Founder
but it doesn't state that in the rules..

Create the faces you've always wanted to by spinning morph dials to create a unique character, or characters, and use it/them in a render for a chance to win!

If you create a morph you have to spin it to get it... but it doesn't say I have to purchase anything to get that morph. Like my dog morphs.. I created them then spun them up to get the shape.. but not eligible because I didn't buy them from anywhere which it doesn't state in the rules...

I might sound picky but what I read and what's allowed seems to be two different things..

Rules & Guidelines:
  • At least one HiveWire family member, such as Dawn, Dusk, Luna, or any other HiveWire figure you wish to use.

Good points. I'm sure Miss B can clarify the rules and guidelines as we amend things.

Stezza

Dances with Bees

that's part A done

now for part B

I'm now not allowed ( reading the amended rules posted later ) to create my own morph on say Dawn and then spin that up to create an entry.. I have to purchase a product from anywhere to be eligible.. but it doesn't say that in the rules.

can you see how confused I am.. . :flower02:

Miss B

CV-BEE
I'm now not allowed ( reading the amended rules posted later ) to create my own morph on say Dawn and then spin that up to create an entry.. I have to purchase a product from anywhere to be eligible.. but it doesn't say that in the rules.

can you see how confused I am.. . :flower02:
Yes Stezza I can, but you're unique in that you can create any morphs you want from within Carrara, as it also does modeling, which is something Poser and DAZ Studio users don't have access to. Also, most folks who don't have, or know how to use, separate modeling software, are then at a disadvantage, and can only rely on morph packs others have created.

I didn't think about your ability to use Carrara to create morphs for your characters, because generally speaking, the majority of members of the HiveWire community would have to rely on such morph packs. I myself have been modeling with Blender for many years, but creating character morphs is something I've never done, so I would have to rely on morph packs if I were going to participate in this Render Challenge.

LisaB

Staff member
Co-Founder
too many restrictions will also lessen participation... just a thought..

all good.. ;)

I don't see the current clarifications as restrictive at all considering the sheer volume of available morphs.

PLUS it's a render Challenge. Stretch, grow, work outside your comfort zone and possibly discover something new! Could be fun!

Stezza

Dances with Bees
so because I use Carrara I have to spend money on stuff I don't need to enter.... ok

PLUS it's a render Challenge. Stretch, grow, work outside your comfort zone and possibly discover something new! Could be fun!

as a hobbyist I thought I already did that, I just can't use them in this challenge.. but anyways.. to each their own I guess.

maybe best to add another rule for DS and Poser users only. :devil"

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I saw this render challenge as an opportunity for people to experiment and see what could be created using morphs that everyone had access to.

It might be cool to have another challenge later where people could experiment with creating morphs using a modeling application such as Carrara, ZBrush, Blender, Silo, or whatever other modeling application they have access to.