• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

The Anchorage, Part 3

Hornet3d

Wise
We had a great February here in the UK with temperatures much warmer than is the norm and very little rainfall which was great for me as I could do all the work on the back garden a lot earlier in the year than I had expected. The first week of March has brought far more showers and the wind direction has changed making it a lot colder and closer to the norm for this time of year. Still the garden needs the rain and I only have a few small jobs left to do and I can dodge the showers to finish those.

Terre

Renowned
Bright sunny day at the moment. High is supposed to be 64 today. Yesterdays winds kicked up enough dust that I have a light sinus headache this morning. Otherwise it looks like today is going to be rather nice.

DanaTA

Distinguished
I'm in NY, so the temps are very much the same. The snow's usually heavier West and North of us, so you've probably gotten more each time than we have.

Oh, I have a niece who lives in upstate NY. Corinth. They've had a lot of snow up there. Usually, western Massachusetts gets more snow than us, not that we don't get much. But Worcester and the Berkshires are at a higher elevation, so they do get more.

Dana

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Ahhh yes, I'm downstate in NYC, so there's a big difference in the amount of snow we usually get than those upstate.

Miss B

CV-BEE
The option to change to Daylight Saving Time all year was mentioned here on the news one night last week, but where that'll go, who knows. I'd prefer to not have to change the time twice a year, but I wonder why they don't just make it Daylight Standard Time instead. The days are going to be longer during the summer months no matter which we have, so why are they picking Daylight Saving Time?

That said, however, I don't understand why they don't have the same timezone within a whole state. IIRC, Arizona's like that too. I have family in Tucson, who don't change their clocks, but I think there are parts of the state that do. Very weird.

Terre

Renowned
New Mexico has the whole state on the same time but it looks like the politicians are going to be arguing over day/standard time. I vote for standard.

DanaTA

Distinguished
New Mexico has the whole state on the same time but it looks like the politicians are going to be arguing over day/standard time. I vote for standard.

I would rather they freeze the time where it is. This way, it won't be getting dark before 4:30 pm anymore in the winter.

Dana

DanaTA

Distinguished
Power is back up here. Wind damage.

Glad your power is back! I hate power outages! Scary in a few ways. If there's been a lot of heavy rain, the sump pump won't be working and the basement might get flooded. I have a finished basement, and we eat supper and watch TV down there. Also, the security system doesn't work. There's supposed to be a backup battery in the main unit, but lately, it dies after about 15 minutes of power outage. Plus, the heat won't come on without power for the thermostat to trigger the furnace and ignite the gas flame. The hot water won't be hot...we have a tankless hot water heater, natural gas but it needs power to ignite it. We can cook on the stovetop, but the oven needs power. I have a grill lighter to ignite the stovetop burners. I'd like to get a whole house emergency generator. They run on natural gas (or propane) and kick in just about instantly, and supply enough amperage to keep my whole house going. No food going bad or anything. But they're expensive, about $3,000 or more, not even counting the installation fees.

Dana

Terre

Renowned
If you could afford it that would be good. Our heater is convection so it's thermocouple provides the charge it needs to light up. I doubt that would be sufficient for your house.

DanaTA

Distinguished
The longest the power has gone out is about three or four hours. That's not bad. We have a good refrigerator, a Samsung with the dual motors. So there's no air flow between the freezer compartment and the refrigerator compartment. When the power is out, though, I just don't open either door. Stuff keeps for a long time in there. Haven't had anything go bad on us yet.

Dana

Miss B

CV-BEE
Yes, I can remember maaaany years ago when we had a major blackout here in NY it was out for close to 12 hours, and it was during the summer, but my mom's refrigerator also had 2 separate doors, and since she was out of the house for the majority of that time, had no issues with the food in the freezer or refrigerator.

DanaTA

Distinguished
I remember one blackout during the summer in the 60s. One or more fighter jets passed over the city at high speed, then the blackout happened immediately. A lot of people freaked out over that. We though Russia attacked us. I was in the Boy Scouts at the time and was at our troop master's house, with his son. We never got a satisfactory explanation of that incident. I think most of the Eastern seaboard was out. It was big.

Dana

Miss B

CV-BEE
Well, that may have been it, as there was another bad blackout, but it happened around 5:30pm when I was getting ready to leave work, and it was already dark out so not during the summer. It also was in the 60s, but mid- to late 60s, because I didn't start working there until 1964. For that one, I didn't get home until around 2:30-3:00am.

The one which happened during the day, which is the one I think you're referring to, was a few years before.

DanaTA

Distinguished
I think it was late in the afternoon, it was around suppertime, I think. It was a long time ago. I'm not exactly sure. I do remember that there was a lot of talk about it the next day and week. We thought there was an attack of some kind because we heard a very loud boom. That was probably the jets breaking the sound barrier, though.

Dana

Miss B

CV-BEE
Yes, that's the one where I spent half the night in the office!! Our work hours were 9:30am to 5:30pm, and I was just heading for the closet to get my coat, when the lights went out. The strange thing is, I could look out my boss' window and see lights on across the river in NJ, so we couldn't figure out what was going on.

I think, at the time, they stated it was the failure of a supplier in upstate NY, though from what the article you linked to states, it was up near Ontario, Canada. Then again, Canada is right across the Niagara Falls from NY's northern border.