• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

The Anchorage, Part 3

DanaTA

Distinguished
Yes, junior and senior years at high school were the best years I had in school, out of all the years 1-12. Then, partied for almost a year after graduation. I was still 17 and nobody wanted to hire me. I used to say I'd party for a year after graduation...it turned out to be mostly true.

Dana

DanaTA

Distinguished
I was the second youngest person in my class. Which surprised me a little. I knew that guy since 4th or 5th grade, too. And years later I found he was playing with one of my cousins. I was the photographer at a wedding and they provided the music. Small world, as they say.

Dana

Terre

Renowned
By the time I started school the way they handled ages here in New Mexico would have had you starting a year later than you did. There is a cutoff that I think is in August.

Mythocentric

Extraordinary
Apropos of nothing I thought I’d add to my previous post because in writing it I realised that that summer break also represented my transition from dedicated Mod to ‘Gordon Bennett! What’s this that’s turned up now?’ It also represented my very first Pink Floyd gig which was followed by twenty-odd Pink Floyd gigs culminating in their final appearance at Earl’s Court. So! Here we have a budding young Mod with an artistic bent on a break at Great Yarmouth in the summer of ’68. A popular spot at the time, especially with the ladies, because it was far safer than Brighton, that’s for sure! Anyhow. There we were. Sun, sea, sand and s….(bet you thought I was going to say sex there, didn’t you?) Well I was but modesty (not to mention cowardice) forbids. One day we decided to visit the outdoor roller-skating rink which was very popular at the time. Admittedly, mainly amongst us blokes because there was always the chance of some young lady taking a spill and revealing her underwear, skirts being of the “Is that a pelmet she’s wearing” fashion then! Now, setting the scene, here was I, backcombed hair ala Steve Marriott, flares, Italian jacket in velvet (green, of a shade commonly known as seasick!) tootling around on wheels, trying to look debonair and grooving to the music being a great Small Faces and Who fan, of course, when I became aware that the DJ (Yep! A real honest-to-goodness DJ) was playing something most peculiar. A weird little ditty about ‘little purple fishes’ and stuff. What’s more, this Mod had to admit he quite liked it! A simple query revealed it to be Tales of Brave Ulysses by an outfit called Cream, so later that day saw me combing the local record shops, to emerge with a copy of Disraeli Gears (a title which appealed to the Surrealist in me). But wait! There’s more! On the way out of the shop I spotting an A3 sized flyer advertising a gig by The Pink Floyd that very night, so…..

Aftermath:

The next few weeks saw some interesting changes in this young chap’s outlook. The flares and velvet jacket disappeared in favour of a black Victorian frock coat, the genuine article which I found whilst crawling about beneath the stage of a school hall we used to rehearse and generally loon about in. I had it cleaned and was delighted to find it fitted me near perfectly! Oh heaven! It even had a real silk lining (dark blue) Drool! In came slim black trousers to match plus a pair of black riding boots bought one morning on the Portobello Road. Note to the unwary: The last items were something of a mistake, I must confess. If you’ve ever tried walking any distance in riding boots (and manage to maintain your cool) you will know that it’s bloody impossible, not to mention painful! Back to the black Spanish lace-up Beatle boots. Ah! Blessed relief.

Also about this time I bought my second guitar (and first bass) in the sweet shape of a Hofner Violin Bass. £58 brand new and purchased based solely on the fact that McCartney played one. (Just for comparison £58 was quite a lot in those days and cost me most of my allowance not to mention the resulting poverty until next months dosh turned up, but if I wanted one now I would have to sell my granddaughters!) This was caused by the guys in the band deciding that three six-string guitars in one band was a bit overkill and I lost. As in, Paul and Stuart were both bigger than me and I have an aversion to pain! Much hilarity resulted when I turned up at RCA with it for the first time, mainly from the classical music lot, like, “Where’s yer bow then?” To “Blimey, you must have long arms to reach the top frets when you’ve got that stuck under your chin!” But that is a story for another time.

Mythocentric

Extraordinary
I've just received an email from The Canals Trust of which I am a member. Canals in the UK represent and are maintained as hundreds of (rather long and narrow) miles of natural habitats for wildlife, mainly birds, except for a few places where local authorities have decided they'd rather have the money and built 'executive' homes which nobody can afford to buy. Anyway. The email asked, "Do you know you have been feeding the ducks wrong your whole life?" WHAT? MOI? I'm just an ordinary member! Nobody said I was responsible for feeding the buggers when I joined up! I mean to say, flaming Nora! There must be thousands of the little quackers and there just ain't that much stall bread in the world! For Gawd's sake! They'll be blaming me for the trolls under the bridges next! :eek:

So. What strange emails have you received and how did you respond? :)

DanaTA

Distinguished
Not so strange. And I'm sure they didn't mean you in particular, but rather the general public. It turns out that feeding ducks, and geese, and probably swans, causes a disease called angel-wing. I think that's what I read. Their feathers spread apart and make it difficult to take flight. there may be another problem involved, too. I don't know for sure, but I don't think it happens to birds in general.

Strange emails? I've gotten some telling me about feminine products I need to try! o_O

Dana

DanaTA

Distinguished
Define good. I have to go out and see if the snow blower will work. Haven't used it in a year. This snow is not slushy so it is a good candidate for the snow blower. Looks like a few inches, but kind of fluffy this time. I have an appointment to get an oil and filter change today.

Dana

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Angel wing is a deformity found in ducks, geese, swans, and other waterfowl which causes the last join in one or both wings to twist outward, preventing the birds from being able to fly. Most wildlife and waterfowl experts believe the cause is a nutritional deficiency in vitamins and minerals combined with a high level of carbohydrates and sugars while young birds are developing. The wings develop too quickly for proper bone support.

Bandages, physical therapy, and proper nutrition can correct the condition in young birds if caught early enough. But it's incurable once the birds become adults. Without the ability to fly from danger or predators, the disorder becomes pretty much fatal.

White bread is not a healthy food for birds, nor is pizza crust or bagels. People food such as seedless grapes cut in half, shredded kale (or swiss chard or romaine lettuce), or grains (wheat, barley, oats) are healthier options, as is inexpensive waterfowl feed or duck pellets from feed stores.

Mythocentric

Extraordinary
Mornings everyone!

Grooving along to the Allmann Brothers and watching the rain fall. Yep! It's back! The rain falls, the gutters flow, drains gurgle, brollies turn inside out and out on the Promenade the fish are setting ambushes for any cat or dog which dares to stray in that direction. All is right with the world again! Well, it would be if I could make my mind up about this image I'm working on. I suspect I'll just hit the render button and hope I haven't missed too many bugaboos. It's been a long day!

Mythocentric

Extraordinary
Actually Terre, it's quite a simple one this time about loneliness. A girl looking out of a window at a world she can't reach. The problem was I wanted her to lean against a wall and, given that I was using dynamic clothing (I tried four different outfits!) I couldn't stop them clashing in strange ways. I solved it eventually by using a conforming outfit (rare for me!) and I was just going to start the render when I realised that there wasn't actually anything outside for her to look at. Yep! I'd totally forgot the background. Ha! Brain cells! Who needs 'em? Doh! I usually post over at dA but here also in the 'I Just Wanted To Post An Image' thread, probably tomorrow now, and in my 'Mytho's View' collection here in Media. OK! Time for a coffee break and a quick drool before I go back to staring vacantly into space.

Terre

Renowned
Simple is what an image about loneliness needs to be if you are to capture the emotion properly. As for the clothing.... Yes, that's why I think people should have both kinds on hand an be comfortable using both. I've watch my husband do this for enough years to know that sometimes one just works out better than the other in a situation. I'll go poke into your thread and see what's there. :)

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Not knowing what problems you encountered with the dynamic clothing, something that might (or might not) have helped would be to position Dawn away from the wall and in the final few frames, slide her to almost leaning on the wall. Then once the simulation was complete, move her the rest of the way to the wall.

But of course, conforming clothing works too :wink:

It's a lovely image btw.

Actually Terre, it's quite a simple one this time about loneliness. A girl looking out of a window at a world she can't reach. The problem was I wanted her to lean against a wall and, given that I was using dynamic clothing (I tried four different outfits!) I couldn't stop them clashing in strange ways. I solved it eventually by using a conforming outfit (rare for me!) and I was just going to start the render when I realised that there wasn't actually anything outside for her to look at. Yep! I'd totally forgot the background. Ha! Brain cells! Who needs 'em? Doh! I usually post over at dA but here also in the 'I Just Wanted To Post An Image' thread, probably tomorrow now, and in my 'Mytho's View' collection here in Media. OK! Time for a coffee break and a quick drool before I go back to staring vacantly into space.