• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

RELEASED Perfect Pelvis for Dawn

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
One of the very first things that bothered me on Dawn back when she was released was the way her crotch geometry couldn't keep the shape when the legs were posed. There are some side-effects from this, such as pants and shorts being crushed when the thighs are posed, and the crotch shape is just unrealistic. As a general rule, I have accepted that this couldn't be fixed because we can't change Dawn's rigging after she was released.

The problem is, I use thigh twists in nearly all of my renders. I end up cringing my teeth with the resulting crotch shape - every time. Clothing can't keep a good shape like that. Twisting the thigh either inwards or outwards gets a very bad shape, and the clothing tends to follow it to be able to stay conformed. Ugh!

This week, as I was making the "Elven" render with Dawn, the crotch shape got so bad that the clothing ended up crushed. I had to correct it with the smoothing brush, both in Dawn and the clothing. It ended up like this, smoothed out:

I thought to myself - there MUST be something I can do about this. It has been too long! As I went to sleep later that day, I dreamed about correcting this with JCMs on top of Dawn's own JCMs. Yeah! Why not? I have tried that first thing the next day. Take a look on some of the results. This first image has twist-in on the left thigh, and Side-Side + Twist on the right one. Both are JCM corrected on the right:

JCMCorrections1.jpg

The problem I was having with the "Elven' render pose was twisting both thighs inwards. That has been JCM corrected as well. Below is default Dawn on the left, and the JCM corrected shape on the right with both thighs twisted inwards + Side-Side inwards:

JCMCorrections2.jpg

Here's a random pose where the crotch gets compressed out of shape. On the right is the JCM corrected Dawn, where the shape is preserved no matter how the legs are posed. I think this is how it should look like.

JCMCorrections3.jpg

I know that piling JCMs on top of Dawn's own JCMs may sound like a bad idea, because it's like correcting the correction morphs, but that's the only thing I could do since the rigging and default JCMs cannot be changed. The good is that the crotch shape gets preserved (looks good!), and the bad is that these 2 sets of JCMs fight each other, resulting into possible clothing noise that might need to be cleaned up. That's why I don't like JCMs in the first place, but.... this looks promising!

As shown in the image above, you can Side-Side and Twist a leg all the way to the side, and the crotch shape is still preserved. That's what I always wanted from Dawn! I am only handling Side-Side and Twist with this set, since Bend hasn't been the issue for me until now.

I still have a lot of testing to do before I can say this is fully functional, but now I have this INJ + REM package in Poser that is easy to apply and remove at any time. For a DS version, things would be more complicated, because there is no way to inject or remove morphs from a figure. If you install this in DS, it will always be there, invisible (hidden) and automatic. That's the bad thing about DS - it always wants to do everything automatic, which removes our ability to control things.

For the Poser version, I plan on creating a Python script to add the JCMs to clothing (whatever is selected on the scene) with 1-click. Only the item affected by the legs should have the JCMs, so in theory it only needs to be added once per outfit. In DS, it's added automatically.

This project doesn't have a proper name yet. "Dawn Crotch Correction" doesn't sound very good, so I have to think of something else. The fact remains that this is addressing the crotch area specifically. For now, it's just "Dawn Correction Project", for lack of a better name.

Have to do more testings, but so far I am happy with the results. Once applied, it's all automatic. Just pose Dawn as usual, and get the better shapes. ^____^

Last edited:

LisaB

HW3D Vice President & Queen Bee
Staff member
Co-Founder
Sounds like a good plan, Ken. Thanks for sharing your challenge, your inspiration for a correction as well as the pluses and minuses of doing things this way.

Would you like the name of this thread edited to the new project name? "Dawn Correction Project"

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Thanks, Lisa. I am still seeking for a better name, but will use "Dawn Correction Project" for the time being. I am inclined to try "Dawn Proper Pelvis", or something less generic that may lead to confusion. I am open to suggestions. :)

Bonnie2001

Extraordinary
Nice work Ken. If you don't mind me making some suggestions for names:

Perfect Pelvis for Dawn.
Pelvis Plus for Dawn.
Corrected Pelvis for Dawn.

Willowisp

Adventurous
OMG YES! This is so amazing! Dawn's hip/crotch area has annoyed me from the very beginning. The hip pivot point is too low, so I have been using the adjustment that comes with 3DUniverse's 'Alexis' to move the pivot point up to where I think it should be. Problem is, that makes Dawn's crotch even worse, and all this has annoyed me so much that I have pretty much given up on using Dawn long ago. This crotch JCM looks promising, it probably won't work too well with the Alexis adjustment tho, but it is something at least!

I suggest you call it 'no more crotchety-crotch' :p

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
@Willowisp I have been testing this with different morphs, and it has worked fairly well with my more extreme Type-6 and Type-7 fantasy shapes, which I think push the envelope far enough. So far it's 6 JCMs counteracting the default Dawn JCMs, trying to preserve the crotch shape when the legs are posed. I think the final version will have 8 JCMs, to include Side-Side inwards and outwards. Inwards has been more challenging because I have to correct a shape that ends up inside the body, so I can't see what I am doing, but I am trying anyway.

With the default Dawn, clothing at the crotch gets crushed. On the other, extra JCM corrections may require some clean-up on clothing, because there are 2 layers of JCMs fighting each other. Things will become clearer as do more tests and adjustments. This is something quite overdue on my queue. I am doing this in parallel with Type-6 and Type-7. In my last render posted at the Dawn thread, I have used them all together with the correction JCMs, and gosh, it looks so much better. ^____^

carmen indorato

Extraordinary
One of the very first things that bothered me on Dawn back when she was released was the way her crotch geometry couldn't keep the shape when the legs were posed. There are some side-effects from this, such as pants and shorts being crushed when the thighs are posed, and the crotch shape is just unrealistic. As a general rule, I have accepted that this couldn't be fixed because we can't change Dawn's rigging after she was released.

The problem is, I use thigh twists in nearly all of my renders. I end up cringing my teeth with the resulting crotch shape - every time. Clothing can't keep a good shape like that. Twisting the thigh either inwards or outwards gets a very bad shape, and the clothing tends to follow it to be able to stay conformed. Ugh!

This week, as I was making the "Elven" render with Dawn, the crotch shape got so bad that the clothing ended up crushed. I had to correct it with the smoothing brush, both in Dawn and the clothing. It ended up like this, smoothed out:

I thought to myself - there MUST be something I can do about this. It has been too long! As I went to sleep later that day, I dreamed about correcting this with JCMs on top of Dawn's own JCMs. Yeah! Why not? I have tried that first thing the next day. Take a look on some of the results. This first image has twist-in on the left thigh, and Side-Side + Twist on the right one. Both are JCM corrected on the right:

View attachment 40501

The problem I was having with the "Elven' render pose was twisting both thighs inwards. That has been JCM corrected as well. Below is default Dawn on the left, and the JCM corrected shape on the right with both thighs twisted inwards + Side-Side inwards:

View attachment 40502

Here's a random pose where the crotch gets compressed out of shape. On the right is the JCM corrected Dawn, where the shape is preserved no matter how the legs are posed. I think this is how it should look like.

View attachment 40503

I know that piling JCMs on top of Dawn's own JCMs may sound like a bad idea, because it's like correcting the correction morphs, but that's the only thing I could do since the rigging and default JCMs cannot be changed. The good is that the crotch shape gets preserved (looks good!), and the bad is that these 2 sets of JCMs fight each other, resulting into possible clothing noise that might need to be cleaned up. That's why I don't like JCMs in the first place, but.... this looks promising!

As shown in the image above, you can Side-Side and Twist a leg all the way to the side, and the crotch shape is still preserved. That's what I always wanted from Dawn! I am only handling Side-Side and Twist with this set, since Bend hasn't been the issue for me until now.

I still have a lot of testing to do before I can say this is fully functional, but now I have this INJ + REM package in Poser that is easy to apply and remove at any time. For a DS version, things would be more complicated, because there is no way to inject or remove morphs from a figure. If you install this in DS, it will always be there, invisible (hidden) and automatic. That's the bad thing about DS - it always wants to do everything automatic, which removes our ability to control things.

For the Poser version, I plan on creating a Python script to add the JCMs to clothing (whatever is selected on the scene) with 1-click. Only the item affected by the legs should have the JCMs, so in theory it only needs to be added once per outfit. In DS, it's added automatically.

This project doesn't have a proper name yet. "Dawn Crotch Correction" doesn't sound very good, so I have to think of something else. The fact remains that this is addressing the crotch area specifically. For now, it's just "Dawn Correction Project", for lack of a better name.

Have to do more testings, but so far I am happy with the results. Once applied, it's all automatic. Just pose Dawn as usual, and get the better shapes. ^____^
Like the idea of this correction makes the groin look more realistic and the mesh look tighter . Wish too a basic realistic gen crease can be added with the correction (looks like it could be done now) to make Dawn look a bit more realistic. I realize it was originally created so that wasn't possible and that is a shame. Don't need anything major since not into all that detailed gyno type imagery, but a bit more anatomically correct on outside would be great. I have Dawn and a few extras but have never used her in my work for just that reason so would be great being able to work with her if this is possible.
I now this seems odd question but is Dawn a WM figure?

Last edited:

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
@carmen indorato Thanks! You can find several options for Dawn genitals at Renderotica. I think they have so many that I don't need to add more of the same in this area. :)

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
@carmen indorato Thanks! You can find several options for Dawn genitals at Renderotica. I think they have so many that I don't need to add more of the same in this area. :)
I doubt it would be accepted here in the HW store if you did. Of course I could be wrong, but that's just my thought on the subject.