• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

I Just Wanted to Post an Image Thread

Me195

Extraordinary
I certainly didn't intend my post as a criticism of either the figure or the creator. I've only seen renders of the figure, and I don't care enough for what I've seen to invest in the figure ... however well made it may be. Not when the HiveWire 3D line of figures are nowhere near end of life and are still being supported by their creators. Which was and is not the case with V4.

I absolutely don't expect anyone else to feel the same, and have no problem if others want to use or support new figures. But ... as with most of us, my money is limited, and at this point, I can no longer toss money away frivolously as I did when I first stumbled onto DAZ.

I did visit Smith Micro several months ago when I was told about Project E, and I spent time reading through the comments. I came away from that rather frustrated and ... annoyed. I just don't understand some of the people who raved over yet another figure in development that they have never even touched ... when those same people dismissed Dawn as a flawed figure ... without ever touching her either. I'm sure the frustration and annoyance I still feel made it into my post.

Dawn had her own set of problems ... which had nothing to do with the figure and everything to do with a handful of people who put in tremendous effort in sabotaging HiveWire3D and Dawn on every forum ... all without ever touching Dawn either. I haven't seen those people going after any other figure in development since ... with the same viciousness they went after Dawn.

What attracted me sight unseen to Dawn was Chris. Not only did he have experience with developing successful (and commercially successful) figures, but also with starting, building, and running a rather successful company. I was more than willing to "put up" with a figure that would not match V4 in the number of morphs and clothing/accessories on release, because I trusted Dawn wouldn't be dropped by its creator and that morphs and clothing and what not would come along. As I learned of the other people who were involved with HiveWire 3D, I became even more convinced that HiveWire 3D wasn't going to let me down.

Over the years, several figures have been in development ... generally by a single person. Which is not to say a figure requires a company and staff like DAZ or HiveWire 3D. There are some really cool figures out there like Nursoda's and Tate's, and I wish I had the money to pick up every single one. But they wouldn't be go to figures for me. And that's my criteria when I'm told about a new figure that's in development. Can it be my go to figure and can I trust the developer will continue to support the figure. Of less concern to me is whether content providers will support the figure because odds are ... most won't.

I definitely do consider you to be a prominent member of the 3D community, but I didn't see any criticism in any of your posts. In fact I've only seen constructive criticism here for PE here in general. I can definitely understand your frustration at SM forums. People bad mouthing Dawn without ever even trying her is a quick way to get under my skin too. I tend to be long winded in my comments so I'll wrap it up by saying that I hope my comments haven't made you or anybody else feel like I was singling anyone out or bad mouthing anyone's comments. That wasn't my intention.

Stezza

Dances with Bees
I haven't been reading the comments.... just posting an image every now and then... :peace:

walker.jpg

'In memory of a mate I never met'

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
I haven't done much work today at all. Early this morning I had to break up a dog fight and my hand got bitten in the process. The bone in my hand at the ring finger is broken and quite painful. Not to mention my hand is a very pretty shade of blue.

But I did run another test for Andy this morning. Render here:
MaidenDress125.jpg

Hornet3d

Wise
I haven't done much work today at all. Early this morning I had to break up a dog fight and my hand got bitten in the process. The bone in my hand at the ring finger is broken and quite painful. Not to mention my hand is a very pretty shade of blue.

View attachment 34414

That's looking good.

Sorry to hear about your hand, I hope you mend soon without too much pain and inconvenience.

Me195

Extraordinary
Set during WWII it's when the aliens handed over plans and a foo fighter to the SS.. One of the last photos that didn't get destroyed...

Title - Foo Fighter
rendered in Carrara

Nice work. You get uber points for creativity and presentation.

I haven't been reading the comments.... just posting an image every now and then... :peace:

View attachment 34411

It took me a lot longer than I am willing to admit to realize that wasn't just a picture of a walker. Well done.

View attachment 34414

That is a terrible place to break your hand. Not that there is really any good place to break your hand, but that one is extra bad. I hope it heals very quickly.

The render does look good though.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
That it is. He's just waiting to hear back from Erogenesis to release it now. Today's test was just for "prettying up the script" with user prompts.
Glad to hear it. Here's hoping he doesn't have to wait too long.

Oh and sorry to hear about your hand. Take it easy and let it heal thoroughly.

quietrob

Extraordinary
I definitely do consider you to be a prominent member of the 3D community, but I didn't see any criticism in any of your posts. In fact I've only seen constructive criticism here for PE here in general. I can definitely understand your frustration at SM forums. People bad mouthing Dawn without ever even trying her is a quick way to get under my skin too. I tend to be long winded in my comments so I'll wrap it up by saying that I hope my comments haven't made you or anybody else feel like I was singling anyone out or bad mouthing anyone's comments. That wasn't my intention.

Mmm, I wouldn't say that all the criticism was constructive. Without reposting the comments, some felt like attacks. I thought best to stay out of it because a lot of it is rather confusing. I think things have calmed down and heated comments have cooled. (@Mythocentric come home! ) Plus I know I don't have anywhere near the skill and knowledge to create a Dawn, Star, Maise, or Andy (The name for PE? Isn't that name taken by the poser Skeleton?) I do like collecting different figures. Dr. Peterbilt, Gramps, Sadie all have a nice place besides my runtime. Perhaps because I'm not as into stark realism as most are. I mean the Genesis Figures are quite incredible when it comes to realism and this is coming from a Poser user. Also, I'm not quite as tight when it comes to bends. Real people don't bend in extreme ways. In fact, it's quite the opposite. The older we get, the less we <ouch> bend.

I could use some clarity on the matter. Is Project Evolution (PE) it's own standalone figure like Haru from Chocolate? Will she need her own wardrobe? How about a male counterpart? Is she Sasha?

I'm so confused!?!!

quietrob

Extraordinary

View attachment 34411

This is actually quite poignant. I know it's a quick render unless you used models of the woods so if I may, I think it would've benefited from godrays and shadow because though quite simple, it's thoughtful. We can't rate images not posted in Media but if I could, I'd give it 5 stars just for the idea.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
No Rob, here on the forum you can only "like" the post the render is in, and as far as I'm concerned, that's just as good.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Oh no. I didn't feel singled out. It's just I realized my post could be construed as critical. I wanted to be sure it was clear why I would or would not consider a figure suitable for my needs.

I don't think anyone ... other than possibly McGyver :wink: is as long winded and rambling as I can be!

Rokket

Dances with Bees
Oh no. I didn't feel singled out. It's just I realized my post could be construed as critical. I wanted to be sure it was clear why I would or would not consider a figure suitable for my needs.

I don't think anyone ... other than possibly McGyver :wink: is as long winded and rambling as I can be!

I didn't find your posts critical, only personal... to you. Your choice, your feelings, your decisions. I think there are just some very thin skinned individuals out there who need to lighten up. I guess it's over and I am glad about that. I came here looking for a place I can relax and it's been that up until things got a little crazy.

And yes, McGuyver is the only guy I know who can, in two paragraphs, have 97 different trains of thought... :D

Rowan54

Dragon Queen
Contributing Artist
Also, I'm not quite as tight when it comes to bends. Real people don't bend in extreme ways. In fact, it's quite the opposite. The older we get, the less we <ouch> bend.

Any of the figures, including V4, bend better than I do, and better than I ever have, even when I was young and taking dance. Which is why I always have been so puzzled about that particular criticism of her (or any other figure). It always seemed rather unrealistic to expect a normal sized figure to move like a circus contortionist. Every contortionist I've ever seen (live or on film) tend to be very thin to the point of emaciation, which is part of how they tie themselves up in knots. I have yet to see any human figure come default with a contortionist's build. (Granted, I haven't seen all the figures out there, but still, among th0se that I have.)

Me195

Extraordinary
Mmm, I wouldn't say that all the criticism was constructive. Without reposting the comments, some felt like attacks. I thought best to stay out of it because a lot of it is rather confusing. I think things have calmed down and heated comments have cooled. (@Mythocentric come home! ) Plus I know I don't have anywhere near the skill and knowledge to create a Dawn, Star, Maise, or Andy (The name for PE? Isn't that name taken by the poser Skeleton?) I do like collecting different figures. Dr. Peterbilt, Gramps, Sadie all have a nice place besides my runtime. Perhaps because I'm not as into stark realism as most are. I mean the Genesis Figures are quite incredible when it comes to realism and this is coming from a Poser user. Also, I'm not quite as tight when it comes to bends. Real people don't bend in extreme ways. In fact, it's quite the opposite. The older we get, the less we <ouch> bend.

I could use some clarity on the matter. Is Project Evolution (PE) it's own standalone figure like Haru from Chocolate? Will she need her own wardrobe? How about a male counterpart? Is she Sasha?

I'm so confused!?!!

In my opinion a negative opinion about something is not necessarily an attack. If someone tries something and does not like it and states their reasoning that is their opinion. I may completely disagree with that opinion, but that may be because my way of thinking and life experiences might be very different from theirs. I might view it as an attack if a person were to say something that was completely untrue, or if the person had never actually tried whatever subject may be about yet are still making assertions about that subject with no actual reasoning. I take every opinion with a grain of salt, but I will always listen to them all. Again that all is just how I view things. I will always suggest taking my opinions with a grain of salt too.

To clarify Project Evolution is a standalone figure. It can be confusing because she can wear her own wardrobe, but there is also a mannequin system to help you convert V4's clothing to PE. It's meant to give you a jumpstart on PE's wardrobe. For example in my first two renders the clothing PE is wearing is Elven Leathers for V4 and Martial Arts suit for V4. I should also mention that the version of PE that is out is an early edition. There is still a lot that is going to be add and refined over time. I hope at least some of my rambling has been helpful. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

phdubrov

Noteworthy
Contributing Artist
Yes.
Yes.
No. Maybe in the future.
No. Sasha is one more approach to weightmap V4. Different author.

Hornet3d

Wise
In my opinion a negative opinion about something is not necessarily an attack. If someone tries something and does not like it and states their reasoning that is their opinion. I may completely disagree with that opinion, but that may be because my way of thinking and life experiences might be very different from theirs. I might view it as an attack if a person were to say something that was completely untrue, or if the person had never actually tried whatever subject may be about yet are still making assertions about that subject with no actual reasoning. I take every opinion with a grain of salt, but I will always listen to them all. Again that all is just how I view things. I will always suggest taking my opinions with a grain of salt too.

To clarify Project Evolution is a standalone figure. It can be confusing because she can wear her own wardrobe, but there is also a mannequin system to help you convert V4's clothing to PE. It's meant to give you a jumpstart on PE's wardrobe. For example in my first two renders the clothing PE is wearing is Elven Leathers for V4 and Martial Arts suit for V4. I should also mention that the version of PE that is out is an early edition. There is still a lot that is going to be add and refined over time. I hope at least some of my rambling has been helpful. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

I know that PE had a long evolution as I followed it early on, not surprising when it is the work for one man. It is also true if you waited until a figure ready for launch it would never be released. I used to create technical training courses and I always left time after I had first run the course for changes as the very act of running the course gives you a different perspective. The same is true of any figure, once released to the masses someone will either push the boundaries or try and use it in a manner not foreseen updates will always be required. For that to happen good feedback, both negative and positive, is required. Snipping or terms like 'I don't like this' are not helpful but 'I am having trouble doing this' or 'I find this a problem because', can only help make a better figure, no matter how good it was at the start.

On the whole I think this thread has been fairly positive, critical yes, but if you see a problem and then create or assist in a fix I think that should be applauded not condemned. For all that I am sad that others have felt the need to walk away, maybe they see an hidden agenda I cannot see, maybe they are looking from a different viewpoint which is not only valid but healthy.

Thanks you for adding your thoughts and experiences, I am not in a position to use PE at the moment due to both time and financial restrictions/ other demands but that does not mean I am not interested or find enjoyment in others art, as I have with your PE renders.