• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

I Just Wanted to Post an Image Thread

Hornet3d

Wise
Very nice, Hornet. But, you have a normal or bump map on her torso that has an error in the Gamma Correction settings causing that grey pall over her shoulders. All non color maps should have a GC setting of 1.00 - that's bump, displacement, normal, specular maps.

Thanks, I had missed that and it has been corrected by running the script to set all accordingly, I remember doing it when I created the figure but that was some time ago and I forgot to run it this time. I had noticed the difference but I put is down to the fact that the ear rings have a blue emissive hence the slight blue patch on her neck, shows you should not make assumptions. I am still playing mainly with the eyes as changes with the cornea affect the eye and iris shaders and to some degree the pupil, making it a difficult balancing act. On the other hand I like the eyes a lot more so it is going in the right direction.

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
Thanks, I had missed that and it has been corrected by running the script to set all accordingly, I remember doing it when I created the figure but that was some time ago and I forgot to run it this time. I had noticed the difference but I put is down to the fact that the ear rings have a blue emissive hence the slight blue patch on her neck, shows you should not make assumptions. I am still playing mainly with the eyes as changes with the cornea affect the eye and iris shaders and to some degree the pupil, making it a difficult balancing act. On the other hand I like the eyes a lot more so it is going in the right direction.

I remember it because it drove me crazy so many times with clothing...arms a different color from the chest, etc. And every time you make a change to those maps, it reverts to GC 2.2. Grrrr.

Hornet3d

Wise
I remember it because it drove me crazy so many times with clothing...arms a different color from the chest, etc. And every time you make a change to those maps, it reverts to GC 2.2. Grrrr.

I understand your annoyance, when creating my character I was endlessly tweaking the maps and kept have the problem return. I got to the point that I would always run the script before I saved everything. Not played with much recently so I have got out of the habit now I started playing with superfly I need to get into the habit again. Shame I cannot get autosave to work in a consistent manner,

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Wow. Is that Dawn? She looks undawnlike for those that can tell a base figure just by looking at it. I can't though I'm sure some people can. I'm loving that expression.

Good eye! Indeed, this is Project Evolution, not Dawn. It's a whole new figure based on a mixture of JCM-heavy bending with facial bone rigging. The idea is the there is supposedly no other way to make a figure pose well with only weight maps, so PE is loaded with tons of JCMs, which on their turn, may scare CAs away. That's because JCMs are great for posing quality, but nightmarish for making conforming clothing to fit the figure. DAZ has tried this back in the days of Millennium 3 figures (V3, M3, A3, etc), but it didn't go very far. So in Mil4 figures, DAZ has removed all JCMs and we are still talking about V4 to this date. It will be interesting to see if history will repeat itself or not.

Uhhh, because her JCMs are so sloppy and numerous! Conforming rigging is not easy, nor fast with this figure. I won't be doing anything to support her because of it.

I don't know if the JCMs are sloppy, but they are numerous alright, and Poser is not ready to handle this amount with the tools we have nowadays. Having to convert each morph before and after editing makes it especially annoying and more prone to errors. And not having an option to mirror JCMs to the other side has been painful when PE has SO MANY JCMs - sometimes multiples in the same joint axis that kick in depending on the bending angle. It's very confusing and easy to loose track of what JCM you are dealing with at each step.

I have rigged everything, but I still couldn't get all JCMs to agree with each other depending on the pose. That's why I wanted to see somebody else trying this, to see if it's just me being incompetent.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
This is why I think I'll stick with dynamic clothing, and learn to conform on something for Dawn instead.

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
This is why I think I'll stick with dynamic clothing, and learn to conform on something for Dawn instead.

Definitely the wise approach.

Even dynamic clothing presents a problem on Project E, however. Those body handles (there are 60+ body handles) interfere with a cloth sim unless you specifically exclude them from the sim. And, since the handles are not named uniquely, I don't know how the casual user will know what is a body handle and what is a body actor.

Hiding the handles is not sufficient for a sim - they must be excluded or the sim hangs on those handles. A long sleeved dress, for instance hangs up on the ulna handle causing the forearm of the sleeve to stand straight up.

Honestly, I find that Project E is unnecessarily complicated and very difficult to use - too much so for the everyday Poser user.

Hornet3d

Wise
Definitely the wise approach.

Even dynamic clothing presents a problem on Project E, however. Those body handles (there are 60+ body handles) interfere with a cloth sim unless you specifically exclude them from the sim. And, since the handles are not named uniquely, I don't know how the casual user will know what is a body handle and what is a body actor.

Hiding the handles is not sufficient for a sim - they must be excluded or the sim hangs on those handles. A long sleeved dress, for instance hangs up on the ulna handle causing the forearm of the sleeve to stand straight up.

Honestly, I find that Project E is unnecessarily complicated and very difficult to use - too much so for the everyday Poser user.

I know that in the beginning the creator was making something for their own use that they were then going to make available to anyone who wanted to use it. This being the case perhaps we should not be looking at PE as another V4 or Dawn but as an enthusiasts figure not expected to be used by the average Poser users. I am just thinking aloud mind.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Which makes sense. But then you have those who are still looking for a V4 replacement.

While some of us Poser users here at HiveWire have enjoyed Dawn since 2013 :snoopydance:

I'v only used V4 less than a handful of times since Dawn's release. Only because I had a number of pieces with V4 in various stages of completion at the time. I've not started a new piece with V4 in years.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Interesting as I had a couple of successful sims of the freebie dress FVerbaas had included. Of course, the pose I used was one of PE's included poses, and it wasn't an extreme pose, so I didn't have any problems when I hid all the face and body handles. Something to think about I guess.

Hornet3d

Wise
Which makes sense. But then you have those who are still looking for a V4 replacement.

While some of us Poser users here at HiveWire have enjoyed Dawn since 2013 :snoopydance:

I'v only used V4 less than a handful of times since Dawn's release. Only because I had a number of pieces with V4 in various stages of completion at the time. I've not started a new piece with V4 in years.

I am in a similar camp, I have been using Dawn extensively since the launch of SE and the only time I use V4 is when a use a character I created some years ago maintain a storyline. Any new characters are based on Dawn or Dusk. In the last year I have also stopped converting V4 clothes for Dawn as I now have enough in the Dawn wardrobe to kitbash a selection of outfits and that ability continues to grow.

Me195

Extraordinary
Speaking of PE
Pelf.jpg

PE kicking butt2.jpg

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees

I think my biggest problem is that I am spoiled by DawnSE (and since DawnSR2). Rigging for her is a dream. Oh that Dusk was as easy and fun! Dusk isn't hard, he's just more frustrating than Dawn in some of his bends.

Mythocentric

Extraordinary
Nice Me195. PE is a sweet figure to work with but unfortunately, there are a number of people here lately with their own agenda's too willing to snipe and discredit without even giving her a chance. Ken1171 deserves due plaudits for his efforts because he at least is willing to ignore the nay-sayers and give it his best and I wish him every success. Sad to say, but this is the way the Hive forums are beginning to slide of late. The proof of that should be clear to those of you honest enough to go back and read the last couple of pages with an open mind. For myself, it reminds me far too much of the way the whole Dawn versus V4 fiasco kicked off and which has caused so much trouble in the community as a whole. No doubt, like those responsible for that little debacle, those of equal guilt here will fall over themselves with a look of wide-eyed innocence and deny it all but the honest truth is that their own fears and over-inflated sense of self won't allow them to let others make their own minds up. In all honesty, I've been more than a little disturbed about the negative politics which have crept into the Hive in recent months and thought about leaving before now but I cannot stand by without at least trying to put a stop to it. This will be my last post at the Hive so I would like to extend my very best regards to Lisa, Chris and the team and wish you every success. Regards also to those of you who have put their integrity before politics and tried to maintain the Hive according to the precepts in which it was conceived and, hopefully, be allowed to return in the very near future! With respect!

quietrob

Extraordinary
Let me echo Miss B's comments. You will be conspicuous by your absence. Don't let something negative stop you from doing something positive. When you go, you will be missed.

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
Well, no one can say I haven't tried or have an agenda.

This is a conforming set I attempted to rig for PE. The 2nd conformer actually. Both miserable failures.

So, if trying to create freebies for this figure is an agenda you don't like, I simply can't help that your feelings are hurt.

JeansandTShirt.jpg

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
And, on top of that I convinced Andy to come out of Poser retirement to do a python script to exclude all the body handles with a single click for Project E users.

Proof of my testing his script for him:

V4 maiden dress converted to PE in my modeler and then simmed on Evolution utilizing Andy's script. The script was zipped for distribution this morning.

MaidenDress.jpg

Miss B

CV-BEE
Is Andy going to be making the script available? That would certainly be a welcome addition. :)

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
Is Andy going to be making the script available? That would certainly be a welcome addition. :)

Yes, he is. I'm not sure if it will be for sale or a freebie. I think he is waiting to hear back from Ero to gauge his reaction to the script and make a decision after.

That may have happened today. I was out running errands and have not had a chance to speak with Andy since early morning and he's asleep now since it's very late in England at the moment, i.e., 1AM.