• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

SKYLAB CHAT

Terre

Renowned
One thing I'm finding difficult to get around...not impossible, just slightly difficult...Harry has these slender, stylized legs...but western rodeo horses are stocky and muscular. I could adjust Harry on my end, but if the user is applying the poses to the default Harry, there could be a significant difference, like accounting for how the saddle fits or the distance of Dusk's legs from the body. I'm beginning to see what Suro use to mention, about the build of certain horses...for the artwork to be authentic, it really does matter...but for pose creation, I'm sorta locked into a narrow path with the default. Same with facial expressions....if I go all out and create characters and facial expressions, then the user will have to have morph packs in order to apply them. Feels like a constraint that I'd like to break out of one of these days....oh well, just thinking out loud.
I think most of the rodeo horses are probably Quarter Horses. I was told as a child that the breed is 1/4th Thoroughbred and 3/4ths mustang in origin. That would give you a stockier horse than most riding horses.

Terre

Renowned
Hey, that's the answer....and I agree about the "cowgirl" outfits, she may as well wear nothing...haha. I could use CrossDresser and probably put something together for her....thanks Terre...this is a three-head project, but so far this has been very helpful :)
You're welcome. :)
Part of the reason that occurred to me is that when Jim buys clothing he almost always is getting it to convert to other figures. Especially his modded Posette.

Last edited:

skylab

Esteemed
I'm starting to think that way, shopping unisex so-to-speak. I know I have Dawn's jeans, but it wouldn't be very realistic to put her in a rodeo in a tank top...unless she especially likes the bruise, cut and injury risk.

And that explains the stockier appearance of the horses. Harry's default build is perfect for dressage, very elegant.

skylab

Esteemed
Well, that gets a lot of the preliminary stuff done. I may get a nap, so that I can begin working with fresher eyes. Thanks everyone for all your help....you saved me time, and a bit of research on my own. We'll see how our ladies' Turn 'n Burn project turns out...have a good evening, and I'll see you all later :)

Terre

Renowned
I'm starting to think that way, shopping unisex so-to-speak. I know I have Dawn's jeans, but it wouldn't be very realistic to put her in a rodeo in a tank top...unless she especially likes the bruise, cut and injury risk.

And that explains the stockier appearance of the horses. Harry's default build is perfect for dressage, very elegant.
Very elegant and not sturdy enough for work on the range. Working horses needed to be tough enough to gallop at full speed on uneven ground without breaking their legs.
In Western horse shows there is an event which is literally an obstacle course. I think it's called Western Trail or something like that. It's designed to test how surefooted the animal is among other things. ETA, found it: Trail (horse show) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Terre

Renowned
I'd forgotten the manner part but that does fit with my having been told as a child that an English style trained horse would freak out at some parts of the course.

Terre

Renowned
Oh, another thing that occurred to me. That bit about the jumps being only 18" isn't due to not being able to "get into the jump position". Cowboys who actually use horses out on the range can jump quite a bit higher than just one and a half feet. It's due to velocity. The gates used are walk, trot, and lope and I think the person writing that article misunderstood the last. It doesn't mean gallop, it means canter. There is no way a horse going at a full gallop could navigate the "put it's hooves precisely between the round logs without even tapping one to make it roll" section at that speed. It would tap one or more. The logs are too close together.

Terre

Renowned
Sky, if you get interested in extreme western horse poses then how about picking up a hanky from the ground at full gallop. I'm not kidding. That's a real thing. Cowboys have been doing that for over 150 years to show off their riding skills.
If you can find some of Frederic Remington's art he drew that at least once.
Found it. Right hand column, 7th pic. The Coeur d’Alene Art Auction

Last edited:

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Ohhhh, what is it they call the things they wear over their jeans that has the fringes . . . chaps? I think that's what I'm thinking of. They're leather if I'm not mistaken.

Terre

Renowned
Yes.
The trick rider costumes have fringes also on the outer seams of the pants and shirts as well.
Think of the pics of the mountain men and such with fringed shirts and make them fancy colors with snow white fringes.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
AHA!! Now that you mention the shirts, I can picture them. I grew up on the old western TV shows and movies.

Terre

Renowned
Gee, can you tell that my brain got stuck in "Let's remember things I saw during rodeos and horse shows back in the mid to late '70s during the NM State Fair" mode? LOL

Terre

Renowned
AHA!! Now that you mention the shirts, I can picture them. I grew up on the old western TV shows and movies.
Now make the fringe white and the shirt bright red or blue or gold, one lady had hot pink. The pants and chaps are the same with the hat also being the same color.

Terre

Renowned
That'll get you pretty close to the costumes that trick riders wear out here. :)
Time to go get some sleep. See you tomorrow.