• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

I Just Wanted to Post an Image Thread

Rokket

Dances with Bees
The Superfly render settings have two columns; progressive refinement is at the top of the right column. Now look above that, just outside. You'll see a faint (greyed out) "Intel core i7..." or some such. It often shows that as a default; Urania doesn't have a core i7, but that's what you see when rendering CPU, which is the default rendering mode.
If your machine has a render-capable GPU, that line will be clear black text and active, so that can select either the processor or the GPU. I don't have a pic offhand; TinkerBell has a Titan Z and would show the option active, but she's offline for now.
Render capable GPUs would be nVidia GeForce series video cards from about GTX750 and later. Superfly can't currently use Radeon card

Ah, okay. I have an NVidia GeForce card, but it's too old.

seachnasaigh

Energetic
@Miss B : BB's EnvSphere is a full sphere. That's the way I have to render the sky panoramas, a full sphere (no way to set Vue to render just the upper half). So, I have the full sphere renders, but it would be far less file size if I were to use a bit of nodework and add a sea surface (or grassy ground, or urban asphalt) lower half. The sky images which are usually used with BB's sphere simply have the pixels smeared downward to fill the lower half; I don't want to do that.
If you are using a ground plane, you could double the sky image map's V scale and set it to mirror V.

tl;dr : Yes, they can be used with with BB's envSphere, but you need to V mirror them bottom/bottom.

I can certainly make JPGs of the entire spherical renders, but that would be another set of JPGs, with some considerable file size. I'll try a few and see what file sizes result. My guess is that the ground/sea lower half will not add as much file size as the atmospheric upper half. If the file size hit isn't too bad, I'd go with the full spherical panos, and just use V scale to apply the upper half to skydomes (as opposed to full sphere props).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

@Rokket : Yeah, most of my stuff has Quadros, which are fine workhorses, but not suited for rendering. If I were putting together another workstation, I would no longer recommend a Quadro; the new GeForce series can do what my old Quadros do, plus add the gaming and GPU rendering ability. What you'd want is as many "pipelines" (rendering cores) as possible, high clockspeed, the absolute most memory you can get, and the best cooling system (liquid cooling>three fans>one fan).

Pipeline count is generally higher in higher numbered cards. Clockspeed can vary noticeably within a given base model; e.g., one 1080 model may have 1556MHz, while a liquid cooled 1080 has 1746MHz. They also vary in amount of onboard VRAM.

But if (stressing *^~if~^*) the next Poser Pro can read Radeon GPUs, the best choice would probably be one of the new Radeon cards; they have massive pipeline counts, more onboard VRAM than any nVidia card, plus they can exploit a 2TB SSD. That would absolutely remove the current scene complexity limit which cripples GPU rendering.

Last edited:

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
@Miss B : BB's EnvSphere is a full sphere. That's the way I have to render the sky panoramas, a full sphere (no way to set Vue to render just the upper half). So, I have the full sphere renders, but it would be far less file size if I were to use a bit of nodework and add a sea surface (or grassy ground, or urban asphalt) lower half. The sky images which are usually used with BB's sphere simply have the pixels smeared downward to fill the lower half; I don't want to do that.
If you are using a ground plane, you could double the sky image map's V scale and set it to mirror V.

tl;dr : Yes, they can be used with with BB's envSphere, but you need to V mirror them bottom/bottom.

I can certainly make JPGs of the entire spherical renders, but that would be another set of JPGs, with some considerable file size. I'll try a few and see what file sizes result. My guess is that the ground/sea lower half will not add as much file size as the atmospheric upper half. If the file size hit isn't too bad, I'd go with the full spherical panos, and just use V scale to apply the upper half to skydomes (as opposed to full sphere props).
OK, that makes sense, but now I'm thinking . . . BB's set also has just the dome. Maybe I'll be able to use that instead of the full sphere, and then set a ground texture for the old Ground plane I'm used to using in P9. If that'll work, then I certainly wouldn't need the full spherical panos.

seachnasaigh

Energetic
Superfly can do ghosts better and easier than Firefly, but it *can* be done in Firefly. This is Aiko 3 Faeryl in Poser Pro 2014, rendered in Firefly:
Pro2014 Firefly refractive ghost - Faeryl A3.jpg Pro2014 Firefly refractive ghost material - Faeryl A3.png

Making a raster object ("tube"?) in P11Pro Superfly (Aiko 3 Sylfie):
Sylfie Superfly raster.png

quietrob

Extraordinary
Ah, okay. I have an NVidia GeForce card, but it's too old.
At least it's Nvidia. I have a Raedon and that means no hope. I do wonder which (CPU vs GPU) is faster. Which one yields better quality and more colors. My old defunct laptop with it's whopping 2gig of operational ram had a kickass video card. The colors were vibrant and could change the look of a render. I burned through two of those 600 dollar video cards before my laptop yielded to the Poser ghost that eats my computers and hard drives.

For everyone. What exactly is a tube? I've actually seen them on sale. To me, they seem like singular png files. Now @seachnasaigh says it's a raster object. The Google definition of a raster object doesn't really help.

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
The Superfly render settings have two columns; progressive refinement is at the top of the right column. Now look above that, just outside. You'll see a faint (greyed out) "Intel core i7..." or some such. It often shows that as a default; Urania doesn't have a core i7, but that's what you see when rendering CPU, which is the default rendering mode.
If your machine has a render-capable GPU, that line will be clear black text and active, so that can select either the processor or the GPU. I don't have a pic offhand; TinkerBell has a Titan Z and would show the option active, but she's offline for now.
Render capable GPUs would be nVidia GeForce series video cards from about GTX750 and later. Superfly can't currently use Radeon cards.

My reason for making them is to use them with the Lothlorien enviro playset, but they will work for any spherically mapped skydome, in any render engine, including 3Dlight and iRay. You can download the P11 construct sampler and just use the sky JPGs. They are 4096x1024. The new ones will be 8192x2048.
You won't be able to buy them, but you'll be able to get them for free. :)
Every sky in the P11 construct sampler will be in the new pack (but larger), along with several new ones. I count thirty on the list.

We need a "Sorry about your suck" emoticon.
How strange. I downloaded this already. Silly me! lol

seachnasaigh

Energetic
At least it's Nvidia. I have a Raedon and that means no hope. I do wonder which (CPU vs GPU) is faster. Which one yields better quality and more colors. My old defunct laptop with it's whopping 2gig of operational ram had a kickass video card. The colors were vibrant and could change the look of a render. I burned through two of those 600 dollar video cards before my laptop yielded to the Poser ghost that eats my computers and hard drives.

For everyone. What exactly is a tube? I've actually seen them on sale. To me, they seem like singular png files. Now @seachnasaigh says it's a raster object. The Google definition of a raster object doesn't really help.

GPU will be faster if it succeeds; the problem is that with complex scenes, or using certain effects (volumetrics), or rendering in queue, GPU rendering is subject to fail.

Well, no, I'm *not* saying .tub = raster object; rather I'm *asking/wondering* if that is the term others recognize. I've seen forum posts in ye olde Photobucket graphics forum (now defunct) referring to what I see as an object on transparent background as a "tube", so I thought that might convey the concept. The armored dolly image is a PNG object on a transparent background.

According to what I have read, the distinction of a raster is that it can be an object (in the photo manipulation sense) on a transparent background; so it is a particular type of render.

Hornet3d

Wise
Lonely Alone HW.jpg

I'd rather miss someone out on this highway.
Than someone who's sittin' just three feet away.
And I'd rather be fightin' some old memories,
than to wonder if you ever really love me.

I don't know what I'll do, I don't know where I'll go.
There's a lot I'm not sure of but
one thing I know. If I have to be lonely,
I'd rather be lonely alone. If I have to be lonely, I'd
rather be lonely alone.

Words from 'Lonely Alone'
by Reba McEntire

Hornet3d

Wise
THE CIRCLE IS UNBROKEN - REFLECTION. This was intended to be the original 'The Queen Of Elfland' until it wasn't. Anyhow, I came across it this morning and decided to finish it!

View attachment 28835

Meralden for V4 and Dynamic Anais Dress by Tipol, Celtic Delight Jewelry by Fabiana, Electra Hair by SAV, Heart of the Matter by Lisa B.

I like it, glad you decided to finish it.

Hornet3d

Wise
If it makes you feel any better, I've been sweating in the humid heat,:oops: because I can't use air conditioning along with all of the computers; I can only run fans placed so as to move air past the rack, up the stairwell, then out of the workstation room windows. I *did* order two "ejector" fans to do that more effectively.
Pink Paradise is still running, and only 32.47% done. It's the toughest-to-render atmosphere I know of.

The guys at the gun store joke that I'm going to be assimilated into the Borg.

bundles of cable at the back of the rack:

Each workstation and blade has a cable going into the switch...

I don't think I could afford the cables, let alone the computers and running costs.

Hornet3d

Wise
Quickie from me. This is Diva, not used her as of yet. Took her into ZBrush and created a fairy from her. Did a bunch of morphing. Slimmed down the hands and feminized the feet allot more and face. Added back in breasts and slimmed down the waist line and slimmed down the lower legs and thighs too. Arms and wrists are redone a bit. Had to dig to find my fav dragonfly wings and just converted them to iRAY. This is my upcoming Tina skin which is currently in beta testing right now.... Once I get Tina and Tommy in the store I think I'll try to finish up Bruno and Bruna and then get to work on my male and female fairy set. I might even make my own wings and see how I do with that!

Off to my day job. See ya later....

View attachment 28967

Wow love that, both the character and the render, the render certainly has punch.

seachnasaigh

Energetic
I don't think I could afford the cables, let alone the computers and running costs.
Bummer.:oops:

@Rokket : Look at the white popup menu - that is what the render device options look like if Poser sees a render-capable GPU:
TinkerBell showing CPU+GPU rendering options.png

Workstation TinkerBell actually only has one video card, but a Titan Z is essentially two Titan X chips on a single card. Don't buy a Titan Z for GPU rendering; the onboard VRAM is split between the two chips, so my 12GB card has only 6GB as a memory limit (i.e., 6GB per chip). I got this card cheap as a refurb.

But if you had three GTX760 cards, for example, it would show options for each GTX760 individually, and an option for all video cards. If you want to use two of the three GPUs, set that in the nVidia control panel for the Poser/FFrender application.

Rokket

Dances with Bees
Thanks cousin! Yeah, I don't see anything like that. It's all greyed out, so I am assuming my nVidia isn't compatible. Dinosaur...

seachnasaigh

Energetic
P11Pro, Superfly: how to render a wireframe
wireframe raster - Superfly 860x1200.jpg Superfly green wireframe material.PNG

You could simply plug the wireframe node into the root's surface socket, but that would show internal parts and backfacing polys. This shader shows only the outermost camera-facing surface, and it also has added nodework to make the wireframe cast light.

I'll be putting these shaders (plus Pauline FF refractive ghost, Pauline flame spirit, and Pauline as Cortana) into a zip package as time permits.

quietrob

Extraordinary
P11Pro, Superfly: how to render a wireframe
View attachment 29146 View attachment 29147

You could simply plug the wireframe node into the root's surface socket, but that would show internal parts and backfacing polys. This shader shows only the outermost camera-facing surface, and it also has added nodework to make the wireframe cast light.

I'll be putting these shaders (plus Pauline FF refractive ghost, Pauline flame spirit, and Pauline as Cortana) into a zip package as time permits.
That is amazing. I was looking up just how to do this and there it is. Thanks @seachnasaigh . Cool Beans! Cool Beans! Pinging for knowledge.

Question : Can the wireframe effect be done in Firefly as well?