• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Official Announcement: DAZ terminates agreement to publish HiveWire 3D animals!

theschell

Brilliant
I've seen some previews of the modelling portion of Carrara... the UI and tools look quite similar to those in Hexagon... Is the rendering engine any good in it?

theschell

Brilliant
Thanks... your images look great! How is it for playing nice with DS/Poser figures, particularly those with ERC's?

Stezza

Dances with Bees
yep.. does early V & M and Genesis 1 and 2, there is a mod at Rendo for Genesis 3 to work.. Gen8 doesn't work... Poser figures work up to the whatever the latest type is which doesn't work. A lot of props released by Daz lately don't work like the Curiosity Rover for example.. Everything I've purchased from Hivewire works.. apart from a saddle issue on one item but we work around that.

And what takes hours to render in DS & Poser I can do in a matter of minutes in Carrara because I'm impatient that way lol...

Stezza

Dances with Bees
and you can model in Carrara as well...
my attempt at a Vultee Vengeance ;-)

Terre

Renowned
And what takes hours to render in DS & Poser I can do in a matter of minutes in Carrara because I'm impatient that way lol...
My husband is impatient that way to. If a render starts taking 1/2 hour or longer he looks for a way to make it quicker. This is part of the reason he's still using PP2014. Superfly takes way to long and there wasn't enough else to warrent purchasing PP11.

James R.

Busy Bee
Sounds to me like both of you freeze your tails off in the winter. One gets lake effect and the other has nothing to stop the wind.
BBBrrrrrr......

Yep. I'm pretty sure my tail is long gone because of the cold. ;) -35C in the middle of winter here isn't unusual, at least for a few weeks at a time...with a hard wind we can get down to below -50C. More typical would be -20C with the windchill factor making it -25C. Funny thing is, depending on what I'm doing, I don't really notice it. If I'm stuck standing in the icy -25C wind filling up my car with gas, I notice it and complain about it. But going for a walk by the river on a sunny -25C January day is beautiful.

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
LOL! Waves to all the fellow current and ex graphic designers:) I've been in the biz for about 40 years now and still run my own graphic design/illustration studio apart from doing my 3D thing. Went to Parsons for Communication Design and then worked at a design/ad studio in NYC for several years. Did all the old school mechanical work and then started on the original Macs with Illustrator 1.1 and Photoshop 2 back in 1988 when I was freelancing after moving to Colorado. Got a Mac IIsi with a whomping 40 MB hard drive lol back in 1991 and opened my own shop:) Yeah Adobe owns my soul at this point. (or at least my pocket book:)

LOL I remember the rubber cement "booger" dodgeball fights when the AD wasn't around:)

Daio

Adventurous
Contributing Artist
I feel the odd man out here, my background being in science rather than art or graphic design. But I do remember helping put together my high school year book and the little letters on a sticky sheet that you had to cut out with an exacto knife and then carefully line up.

AllenArt

Eager
I feel the odd man out here, my background being in science rather than art or graphic design. But I do remember helping put together my high school year book and the little letters on a sticky sheet that you had to cut out with an exacto knife and then carefully line up.

For whatever reason, I used to find something very zen about pasting those tiny little page numbers. At first I needed to concentrate so I wouldn't put them down crooked, but then after awhile, you could do it without thinking much about it. Pull up a little page number with the tip of the knife, paste, rinse, repeat. LOL. I could let my mind wander wherever it wanted :p That's not to say I wasn't really glad when Quark XPress came along and I could do all the pesky page numbering with master pages. Heh.

@CWRW - you have a couple of years on me. I started in about 90/91 with Photoshop 2.0 :p. I did have a Quadra 650 later on with an 80 meg hard drive...hehe. Loved that computer :)

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
LOL yeah I started in high school- we had a 2 year vocational program in design and then one in printing too so spent my last 2 years in HS mainly doing that. They had built an amazing GD wing complete with full darkroom, Compugraphic typesetters, several small offset printing presses and so on. Was a cool program- we did a lot of work for local businesses. Several friends of mine in the program went on to get jobs from it while still in HS and after. Vocational training programs are really underused/under rated these days I think.

Bonnie2001

Extraordinary
My husband is impatient that way to. If a render starts taking 1/2 hour or longer he looks for a way to make it quicker..

I couldn't wait half an hour either. 5-10 minutes in Octane is as long as I will wait. Better still, instant render in Marmoset Toolbag even though I have to import the Maps manually.

Riccardo

Adventurous
I'd drop Poser, DS and Hexagon if I could find a single software that does what all 3 of them together do as easily as they do it... but I haven't found that software yet. Can't get my head around Blender (not a numbers or shortcut key remembering type guy), Couldn't get my head into the tricks of 3DS Max, haven't tried Lightwave (can't afford it any more than I can afford any other high-cost product), and just haven't been able to wrap my brain (tiny and pea-sized as it is) around any of the other suites I've tinkered with. I'm self-taught, and when I was last in school Windows was a DOS-prompt program and Graphic Design had nothing to do with computers.
May I suggest another name? I know, one can dislike it, feel it is old, fear it will never be updated again and so on.
To me, though, Carrara is the software you are describing :)

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I am so envious! We didn't have anything like that in high school. Unless you consider shop kinda similar. Not that girls could take shop though. My elective choices the last semester of my senior year were ... home ec (/shudder) and typing (/shudder). That was it. Since I had to take two electives, that's what I took. And hated every minute of both classes.

Going into high school, I wanted to be an Oceanographer. Until I took biology (killing a frog devastated me) and realized I'd have to take chemistry. Oh the horror stories I heard about chemistry. I also had concerns about things like sharks and blood in the water. But this was the 60s, and things like that were never discussed in any career information. Being an only daughter, it also wasn't discussed at home, and with a male guidance counselor ... I was going to ask HIM about it?!?

So ... then maybe ... a teacher? But again, being female, my guidance counselor put absolutely no effort in encouraging me to go to college or in helping me find scholarships. While my year younger brother got all kinds of help and was able to attend a private and expensive college because of scholarships.

/WHINE!

Now ... besides Oceanography, I also loved art. But ... that wasn't something that was ever encouraged by anyone, and art wasn't really treated as anything but a filler in school. It didn't help either that I didn't want to go into commercial art, but wanted to do fine art. Oh, an apprenticeship would have been divine!

I absolutely believe vocational training programs ... as well as apprenticeships are essential. Most jobs/careers out there are better suited to students going through an vocational / apprenticeship program rather than a four (or more) year degree. We'd have far fewer students graduating with $30,000+ debt. How do you even start "adult" life when you already owe $30,000?!?

LOL yeah I started in high school- we had a 2 year vocational program in design and then one in printing too so spent my last 2 years in HS mainly doing that. They had built an amazing GD wing complete with full darkroom, Compugraphic typesetters, several small offset printing presses and so on. Was a cool program- we did a lot of work for local businesses. Several friends of mine in the program went on to get jobs from it while still in HS and after. Vocational training programs are really underused/under rated these days I think.

carmen indorato

Extraordinary
Not sure if appropriate asking this here but if I recall (and my recall of late mostLy sucks!) there was a mention earlier in this thread (and though painful reading the whole thing, I did read it) There was a mention of Sid Raven no longer being at DAZ. Is this true....they dumped her too after all RDNA went through to migrate their site there? Did they pay for that absorption or buy out or was it a "mutually beneficial" thing like so many described here?
ALao and maybe Chris you can answer this, contracts were mentioned here I. Think.....we're there no cancel or closing clauses in these contracts that keep people involved from doing this,kind of dirty business?
When I had my business over the years I tried including g cancelation clauses clearly marked and written in easy 3rd grade English what happened if the client or other party tried getting out of their side of the agreement, a contract that if they read and signed was legally morally and ethically binding (though admittedly many tried to get out from under when the sheitz hit the fan (judging from how many old clients after 20 plus years of promising "my check is in the mail!" technically still owe me money I know I will never collect).