• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

WIP HiveWire Dragon Begins

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I would think any HW animal DAZ doesn't want in their arsenal will be sold here at HW. No one says they absolutely have to accept each and every animal Chris and Paul (and Laurie if she's doing the mapping/texturing) submit. That means they get a home here.

The HW Big Cat and HW Kitten, and any future animal DAZ wants, will be exclusive to DAZ. That doesn't mean they can't be here if DAZ doesn't want them. I'm not sure why folks are reading that into the exclusivity issue. As JOdel mentioned, DAZ has the right of first refusal.

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
Right. They get first refusal. But if they do refuse I can't see that they would have any say in wherever else the model is sold.

Miss B

CV-BEE
But so long as DAZ continues to sell Valandar's dragons (well, wyverns), and Predetron's dragons, and Dinoraul's dragons, as well as whatever others they may still have in their catalogue, I don't suppose the'll refuse Hivewire's.
I don't recall any of Valandar's and Predetron's dragons, but to me Dinoraul's are more prehistorical than fantasy related.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Right. They get first refusal. But if they do refuse I can't see that they would have any say in wherever else the model is sold.
Exactly. They only have the right to say it's NOT sold anywhere else if THEY are selling it. That's what the exclusivity issue is all about.

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
Well Valandar's are Wyverns. The most recent one came out within the last month or so. Predetron's is the Moorland Dragon (in a couple of resolutions) and it's comparatively old. Dinoraul's are prehistoric only as regards to their release date, but they are definitely dragons. He does have a number of Dinosaurs in the DAZ store as well, and they are just about as old as the dragons.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Ohhhhh duuuuuh, it was his dinosaurs I was thinking of. I consider them more (pre)historic animials than something someone would go to for a fantasy render unless, of course, the theme was for the prehistoric era.

Chris

HW3D President
Staff member
Co-Founder
Lisa and I have not pursued with DAZ whether our Dragon would count as an animal. I would suspect that the Dragon would fit under some sort of Fantasy category.

So, we'll have to get some clarity on that one.

But, I've very excited about our Dragon shape and additive morphs. The fact that it is all morphed from our Big Cat with Wings as conforming added on, is fantastic. You can see back thru this thread so many optional morphs that can be added in. And the same UVs as the Big Cat is what we're hoping to end up with.

This Dragon will continue and see the light of day, if Lisa and I have our way with it. Whether it is available thru DAZ or at HiveWire is the real question.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Ohhhh, I hadn't thought about it being categorized as a fantasy creature rather than an animal. You've got a good point there Chris.

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
Dinoraul's models are very handsome pieces of work. They're all for Poser, which is a good indication of how long they've been around. He does really nice trees and other plants as well. Those are all on Rendo.

Actually with the RDNA acquition DAZ picked up another couple of dragons as well. Ones with Poser dynamic wing membranes. Not sure how well that is working out. But the models are very beautiful.

eclark1894

Visionary
Lisa and I have not pursued with DAZ whether our Dragon would count as an animal. I would suspect that the Dragon would fit under some sort of Fantasy category.

So, we'll have to get some clarity on that one.

But, I've very excited about our Dragon shape and additive morphs. The fact that it is all morphed from our Big Cat with Wings as conforming added on, is fantastic. You can see back thru this thread so many optional morphs that can be added in. And the same UVs as the Big Cat is what we're hoping to end up with.

This Dragon will continue and see the light of day, if Lisa and I have our way with it. Whether it is available thru DAZ or at HiveWire is the real question.
Good, cause I really want to model a saddle for it.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Dinoraul's models are very handsome pieces of work. They're all for Poser, which is a good indication of how long they've been around. He does really nice trees and other plants as well. Those are all on Rendo
Yes, I think I picked up his English Elm set last year. He does do very nice work.

Actually with the RDNA acquition DAZ picked up another couple of dragons as well. Ones with Poser dynamic wing membranes. Not sure how well that is working out. But the models are very beautiful.
I don't recall those, but like everything else, dragons come in all sizes. :)

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
Both of the RDNA dragons I'm remembering were associated with Arki. There was Piccolo who was a miniature dragon and has been around for several years, and there is the Ocean Queen which is big enough to ride on. Arki did riding gear as well. That one came out in the last 4-5 years.

There may have been others, but i can't remember anything specific.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Ohhhh, Ocean Queen sounds familiar. Don't think I have it, but the name does sounds familiar.

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
I finally picked it up during the RDNA rollout when things were being offered on deep discount. Not sure I'll ever be able to use it due to the dynamic wings. I do have that script, but haven't tried it yet.

Faery_Light

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
I'm hoping the dragon stays here, if it goes to DAZ I won't be getting it or doing textures for it...sigh.

Miss B

CV-BEE
I think Chris responded to Kage Ryu about a similar issue with addon products he wants to do for the HW animals, and I'm pretty sure Chris said he can get to you whatever HW animal you're interested in doing an addon for, so I don't believe that's going to be a problem.

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
Yeah, it would be a pretty poor deal if developers couldn't get a developer copy to work on.

Faery_Light

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Don't get me wrong, I do buy stuff from DAZ and do textures, but not if it is to be only sold there.

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
Well we've got the issue of whether dragons are animals or fantasy creatures, to deal with too. If DAZ mainly wants real world animals and not fantasy creatures, the dragon may stay here (if it ever gets released). I'll admit to being very interested in the add-on dragon wings which would be usable with everything.

For that matter, if Chris ever does do Hivewire Centaurs, I rather think that they may stay here, since they would be based on Dawn and Dusk, and I can't imagine that DAZ would want to sell competition to their own centaurs based on Hivewire human figures (although you never know).

And possibly the same could be said for the Sphinx morph that Chris previewed in the big cat thread while that was in development.

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
I think what DAZ is mostly after is a new Cat, Dog, Big Cat with all the morphs and extra skins and poses they can get so they can work on Genesis and not worry about all the clamoring about folks wanting updates to the outdated critters they sell. I think the Hive Dragon will be fine and probably sold here exclusively ....