• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

SKYLAB CHAT

Good morning!

A little chibi that I did...Barnabas Collins from Dark Shadows. That's actually K4.

I finished rendering my Pranx image and uploaded it to my galleries so now I have to get back to my morning chores...packing lunches, taking care of the animals and watering my plants. Hope to be back on again later. Have a good day! barnabascollins.jpg

skylab

Esteemed
Sounds like you have a busy morning going...but at least you're not watering the lunches and packing the plants yet...so hang in there :)

Maja

Eager
Everybody is celebrating that Renderosity aquired Poser. But what does that mean in detail, just sale in the long run or further development of Poser by Renderosity? As far as I know Smith Micro already was working on P12?

skylab

Esteemed
Well, surprising as it may be, Renderosity owns Poser now...Smith Micro sold it to them. So that's why some are celebrating, and some are fighting, on the forums. Apparently those more knowledgeable than me have been feeling that Smith Micro's development team have not been doing such a good job...and that updates have been further messing up Poser 11...so people are saying that they are hoping that Renderosity will start over with Poser 12 in order to get it right. I would think that it would be awhile before we'll see Poser 12, if that be true.

I still have questions about it that have not been answered...such as, if we're using the Smith Micro download manager, and we're checking Smith Micro for eligibility, do we still have to deal with the activation issue if we're using a computer that is offline? or will they stop using that activation process that started with Poser Pro 2014 Game Dev? I have not been happy with that at all, but nobody seems to be addressing that yet.

:bee:

I'm happy that Poser has a home where it will get the love and attention it needs. DAZ started out as strictly content providers and then developed Studio to use that content and it makes I'm sure a fair amount of profit. Hoping Renderosity follows the same path. Competition is good!

skylab

Esteemed
I actually just found some useful information on the Rendo Poser forum, after they finally ended the fight about LaFemme (gee whiz, take it some place else)...I found this quote:

Q: Hi. I recently upgraded from the non-Pro 11. Where's the PoserFusion plugin download link? Is it now included in the support files from the Download Manager?

A: You should have received four separate serial numbers in your order for Poser Fusion (one serial number per supported 3D application). Simply enter one of the serial numbers in Download Manager and you will be able to download all four versions. To activate, install the plugin, and then when you are prompted to activate in the host application use the serial number that is applicable to the version you want to use.

Now that's some useful, practical information...out of pages and pages of not-so-useful input.

The link to the Renderosity Poser forum is here.

:coding:

skylab

Esteemed
I'm glad too that somebody is caring enough about Poser to want to give it a home...it will always be my favorite software, and I'd rather use an old version, than no version. So I am hopeful about future development. My concerns about the activation issue come from the recent loss of my Win10 hard drive in my kitchen...lost during relentless huge Windows updates...and one of my Poser Pro 11 licenses went down with the ship. So, I'm really needing to be able to work offline in order to protect my Poser Pro 11 licenses. With Smith-Micro's perpetual activation, it de-activates if you take a system offline entirely. I'm hoping that Rendo would consider dropping that practice, but so far, I'm not seeing it being addressed. I can't afford to replace Poser every time Microsoft does something stupid, see what I mean? I have older versions of Poser on a completely offline system, no internet at all, and it works beautifully, but I don't have the benefit of superfly, my favorite shaders, the Construct....so it would mess up some of my scene files trying to do everything like that.

:bee::beehive::bee:

Maja

Eager
Yes, Smith Micro download manager, and the activation/de-activation issue are serious points for users, but also for Rendo as the vendor. That's why I guess Rendo will take care of those points very soon. But I don't think that Rendo would become happy with Poser without any anti piracy stragety.

My point is that any software without further development will become useless sooner or later, due to major changes in opearting systems and hardware. On the other hand I would not want so see Poser becoming something similar to DAZ, what is just a content and additional software selling appetizer from my point of view. My prioritiy is creating content without the need to purchase expensive special tools. Well now, let's go on living, and see what time will bring.

For now I'm downloading the current programm and content files just to feal bit prepared, at least. Yes, that's kind of over cautious. ;)

skylab

Esteemed
I don't think it's over-cautious at all. I re-downloaded the whole thing overnight, while I was sleeping, since I couldn't get my activation question answered...and just tried installing it on the offline computer, and it is still barking for activation, as usual. So that's that. I hope that Rendo will have a different policy about that. And I agree that Studio, by itself, does not have the tools that naturally come as part of Poser, and by the time one purchases the plug-ins to allow for advanced features, it's possible to exceed the sale price of Poser...so for me, it's simple...I just stick with Poser because of my love for animation and creating original characters. I also am more comfortable with the lighting controls in Poser...and the large navigation controls. I struggle in Studio dealing with the tiny navigation tools, or any 3D software that has opted for that "minimalist" design.

You're right Maja...3D software has to constantly be running to catch up with operating system changes...and Microsoft is sometimes not a reliable driver of the bus.

And I sure want to see you be able to continue to create content...you do such a beautiful job with it...and you seem so comfortable using Poser, with no fear of the advanced features.

Terre

Renowned
Good morning. :)
Some kind of anti-piracy is certain to be used. Requiring perpetual online is something that doesn't work for many people. We'll see what happens.

skylab

Esteemed
Good morning Terre :)
Yeah, even Studio has activation, but it also has an offline option. Once it's activated, it's done, and doesn't need to keep calling back in order to function, and I can use it offline also, once the content is installed and verified. There's no limitation on the number of computers, so drive crashes or upgrading the operating system doesn't leave it useless. So there's got to be a way that it can be done.