• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Runtime DNA merges with DAZ 3D

tparo

Engaged
QAV-BEE
A lot of things have been stated in a lot of forums most of it speculation, I understand that SM don't want to tie their program to Daz but you seemed to be saying that Daz should give up the tech so SM could use it - maybe I misinterpreted your intention.

eclark1894

Visionary
A lot of things have been stated in a lot of forums most of it speculation, I understand that SM don't want to tie their program to Daz but you seemed to be saying that Daz should give up the tech so SM could use it - maybe I misinterpreted your intention.
I think you did, and the post he was referencing was made by Steve Cooper, then Product Manager for SM. I'm pretty sure he had an inside track as to what SM was thinking at the time.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Wouldn't it be cool if a third party company created fantastic figures that were fully functional in both DS and Poser!

/slaps head.

Silly me. Didn't that happen in 2013?

Seriously though. Much as I love Poser, I've never been happy with the figures that ship with Poser. I feel SM figures are a wee bit too textbook, while DAZ figures are more than a wee bit too Barbie Doll.

eclark1894

Visionary
Why do you think I'm here. and to be honest, i actually suggested a DAZ version and a Poser version when Genesis first came out. I was told it couldn't be done. That's why they had to come up with DSON, I thought.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Seriously though. Much as I love Poser, I've never been happy with the figures that ship with Poser. I feel SM figures are a wee bit too textbook, while DAZ figures are more than a wee bit too Barbie Doll.
My feelings exactly. I have never been interested in any of the Poser figures, male or female. Even their included animals don't look (and I hate to use the term but need too) realistic.

LadyRaine

Admirable
My feelings exactly. I have never been interested in any of the Poser figures, male or female. Even their included animals don't look (and I hate to use the term but need too) realistic.

thats so true and I don't think really any of them have changed since p5 animals I'm talking about

eclark1894

Visionary
When Poser first started out the figures were done by a third party, Zygote. That's right the same company that DAZ spun off from. That said, Poser has had a few minor hits as far as figures go. Namely the G2 figures and Miki. And i still like Roxie, myself.

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
When Poser first started out the figures were done by a third party, Zygote. That's right the same company that DAZ spun off from. That said, Poser has had a few minor hits as far as figures go. Namely the G2 figures and Miki. And i still like Roxie, myself.

I like Roxie as well. And Miki4. And Tyler. All good figures.

quietrob

Extraordinary
Actually the problem is that Daz won't work with them for that purpose. SM has said that they won't have their program linked to proprietary tech and Genesis is proprietary. SM said years ago that if Genesis is made open source they will make Poser compatible with it.

This was something I didn't know either. So a nod of the head and a mea culpa to Smith Micro. I do realize that it's a business and often business is considered war. Still, I can't help but feeling the USER base is caught in the middle. Mostly the Poser user base who is as loyal as any Iphone user that I've seen. Pity. Those new Genesis 3 Figures are rather incredible. A question to anyone who has Poser 11 or Poser 11 Pro. How do the new figures, clothing, props and materials compare to what DAZ is offering? How would Dawn stack up against Vicky 7? I'm not a cat a skunk party. I have Dawn SE and to compare even more, The Hivewire Horse (I think he's called Harry) is better than the DAZ Horse 2 from my perspective.

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
I like the idea of Roxie but many of the renders I've seen of her she her bends are a bit off and a my big niggle about allot of the figures are hands/wrists. This is actually an area of the Hivewire human figures that needs a little TLC as well. DAZ has made some great strides with Genesis 3 but I find my purchases there are mostly lighting and mostly stuff that enhance DAZ Studio as I love the Hive and it's figures so I continue to want to push what I know and how to do it even better. I have SO many ideas, it's like my cupeth runeth over but we shall see how it comes to fruition!

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
This was something I didn't know either. So a nod of the head and a mea culpa to Smith Micro. I do realize that it's a business and often business is considered war. Still, I can't help but feeling the USER base is caught in the middle. Mostly the Poser user base who is as loyal as any Iphone user that I've seen. Pity. Those new Genesis 3 Figures are rather incredible. A question to anyone who has Poser 11 or Poser 11 Pro. How do the new figures, clothing, props and materials compare to what DAZ is offering? How would Dawn stack up against Vicky 7? I'm not a cat a skunk party. I have Dawn SE and to compare even more, The Hivewire Horse (I think he's called Harry) is better than the DAZ Horse 2 from my perspective.

I think that's personal opinion, and nothing more. What figure you choose to use/like is VERY personal.

My personal opinion is that the new Genesis has a permanent expression that is very unattractive and has thunder thighs from hell. I find her very unattractive. And the Genesis3 male just looks like gumby.......maleable putty with no distinctive features at all.

But, that's opinion. And about as valuable as the opinion of folks who haven't used Roxie/Rex/Miki and yet still comment on them.

eclark1894

Visionary
There's an old saying about opinions and certain body parts that everyone has. So to quote the late Patrick Swayze from Roadhouse, opinions vary. So how does Dawn stack up against Vicky 7? I dunno. Vicky 7 looks great in all her promo renders. So does Dawn. But really it's kind of like saying who's prettier Kylie Jenner or Gigi Hadid? Keeping in mind that both of them are highly made up, and other models who are just as pretty and just as made up might actually be men. Beauty really is subjective.

phdubrov

Noteworthy
Contributing Artist
... I can't help but feeling the USER base is caught in the middle. Mostly the Poser user base who is as loyal as any Iphone user that I've seen. Pity. Those new Genesis 3 Figures are rather incredible. A question to anyone who has Poser 11 or Poser 11 Pro. How do the new figures, clothing, props and materials compare to what DAZ is offering? How would Dawn stack up against Vicky 7?
Still don't get why there is common idea that Poser users do not use DS. Or DAZ content. Or that one program should do everything.

And still don't get what's so great/special about G3/V7 line. (yes, have all standart morphs, shapeshifter, muscle, HD... all usual stack.) V4/G2 line still better (more versalite) for portrait works, Dawn line is equal for ten feet or more. IMHO.

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
I disagree that Dawn isn't good for portraits.

DawnSE.jpg

phdubrov

Noteworthy
Contributing Artist
It's exactly ten-feet (half-height), so no disagree here :) V4/G2 still has some best skins, and more face morphs. And I want all this for Dawn :)

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
It's exactly ten-feet (half-height), so no disagree here :) V4/G2 still has some best skins, and more face morphs. And I want all this for Dawn :)

I agree that the are some amazing V4 skins out there, some of them just ended up moved over to this store in fact. Of course part of why v4 has such great content is because she's been supported for so long. Even after Daz moved on to newer versions of vicki, the fact that V4 worked in Poser so well, meant people kept supporting her. I think this is where Dawn's potential comes in. Because she works in both programs, and is tied to neither people who like each program have reason to create for her. Also both the Daz and the Poser figures keep having new, totally different figures come out that need new content. Dawn on the other hand has had several iterations to improve her, but content you got for the original Dawn will work fine on Dawn SE.

I'm glad that currently a lot of Hivewire's work is going into animals right now, because great animals are needed. That being said when they do get around to updating the human figures, I don't see them not making them backwards compatible with existing content, which for me is a huge incentive to work with these figures.