• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Runtime DNA merges with DAZ 3D

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
Hmmm, well you're right DSON hasn't been updated in forever. I haven't tried anything with G3 for a while in Poser, but I did play around with them once, just using Advanced Library Manager 2's Daz Studio plugin, and I do remember that it really slowed Poser down, to the point that I thought it had frozen. Expect once I just decided to leave my computer and have lunch or something, and when I came back it actually had done one tiny little thing.

NapalmArsenal

Distinguished
Contributing Artist
I have tried Willdial's conversion kit and I was wondering if it's just me:

1. I can't seem to pick the expression head handles in Poser. I see them, but I can't pick them with the mouse, or find them on the body parts list.
2. PP11 freezes up when I try to pose the converted Gen3F. Sometimes the freeze-up happened when just moving the camera with just the bare figure on scene.

I have re-downloaded the DSON plugin just to make sure I have the last version, and it looks like it hasn't been updated in a long time. I wonder what could cause the converted figure to freeze Poser? The busy cursor shows up and Poser stops responding. All I can do is kill the task and try again.

Is it just me?
Sometimes Daz figures in Poser tend to act very heavy. I think there was something posted about this possibly on UTube or in the Daz forums when it first came out not sure though. You might check Rendo as it was offered there.

I haven't tried this.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Hmmm, well you're right DSON hasn't been updated in forever. I haven't tried anything with G3 for a while in Poser, but I did play around with them once, just using Advanced Library Manager 2's Daz Studio plugin, and I do remember that it really slowed Poser down, to the point that I thought it had frozen. Expect once I just decided to leave my computer and have lunch or something, and when I came back it actually had done one tiny little thing.

Oh, I didn't know Advanced Library Manager 2 also had a DS version!

It's not like Gen3F is slowing Poser down (on my PC). I can pose her normally and the scene performance seems normal. That is - until the "busy" cursor shows up and I Poser simply stops responding. I don't have an account at RO, so that's why I am asking here. Nobody tried Gen3F in Poser?

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I have reconverted the figure, and THIS time I've noticed something I didn't before. The little program Willdial has provided to enable Gen3F's ghost bones in Poser doesn't run correctly in Win10. It cannot locate it's own configuration file and fails the process. However, an error message shows it was looking for it's files on another location, so I just put the files there and tried again. Now it worked, and [so far] I am not having freeze-ups anymore.

I am now playing with EZSkin3, which claims to support G3F, but when I looked at it's presets, it doesn't. I have created a profile to support G3F and now I can apply materials that work in Poser. Things are looking better now, even though any clothing would have to be converted to TriAx before it can be used in Poser.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I am now playing with EZSkin3, which claims to support G3F, but when I looked at it's presets, it doesn't. I have created a profile to support G3F and now I can apply materials that work in Poser. Things are looking better now, even though any clothing would have to be converted to TriAx before it can be used in Poser.
No it doesn't. It didn't, by default, support Dawn, Dusk, Harry and Luna, but someone posted links to definitions for them he had created. I just don't recall now what site they're on.

Oh, and yes, you can create your own definitions, which I see you did. I'm interested in seeing what you come up with. :)

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I actually lost a few moments trying to figure out WHY the tool was claiming Dawn and Gen3F were UNsupported, when the download page lists BOTH as supported. It was only after I checked inside the provided profiles that I confirmed that none of these figures were included. It's not hard to create a profile, but I still don't understand what the number after the name-matching was. I assumed it could be something to identify what materials share the same textures, but the existing profiles disprove that theory.

I have looked for links for the missing profiles, but found none at the product page. My profile works, but I get an error message the 1st time I run it. Must be something related to those numbers since I don't know what they mean.

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
Oh, I didn't know Advanced Library Manager 2 also had a DS version!

It's not so much a DS version as a free plugin for Advanced Library Manager 2 that lets you load duf files directly in Poser. So for instance after letting it know where my default DS runtime is I get something like this:

However it doesn't run well with Genesis 3 stuff, although I did find that despite it being forever since DSON has been updated, Genesis 2 stuff runs just fine in PP11

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Oh yes, I use this addon in Poser to access my DS runtime with the DAZ plugin, just like in your image. But Gen3F uses double quaternion rigging, so DSON won't know how to handle it. It may load the figure, but it can't make it usable in Poser. You'd have to convert the contents to TriAx first, and save them back to the library. Only then they become usable in Poser. :)

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
But Gen3F uses double quaternion rigging, so DSON won't know how to handle it.

Ah good to know. I never really played around with the Gen3F figures themselves in Poser, just some of the clothing. I purchased that greek outfit as a test of what I could do with newer stuff in Poser, and then of course began testing various ways of converting to with other figures. Probably why I never encountered any rigging issues.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I know what you mean. I even knowing how to bring Gen3F into Poser, all the conversions and content duplication sound discouraging to me.

quietrob

Extraordinary
I have to admit one of the reasons for saving up until I can easily afford Poser Pro 11 is that it can use the Genesis 3 figures and most of all the G3 clothing. I'm quite envious when I see a new outfit and then I see at the bottom "For Victoria 7 and Genesis 3". I don't mind the duplication of runtimes as I back up my entire runtime probably once a month. The only thing I've lost is that on my older PZ3 files then PMD always seems to be corrupted and any morphs are lost. Except the breast morphs. For some strange reason, they always seem to work.

Now if I could just the older Dimension3D scripts to work. They haven't worked for me since Poser 7.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I think SMS has changed the Python version between Poser 7 and 9, so your scripts will need an upgrade. I am using lots of D3D scripts in Poser 9, 10 and 11, and they all work fine. Just make sure you upgrade them to the current version and things will work out. :)

quietrob

Extraordinary
Really? I thought I had the correct versions and it was some weird rights or permission issue stopping me from installing them to the scripts menu. It's so annoying to delete one thing at a time! I'll give it a try.

seachnasaigh

Energetic
Yes, Rob. P5-P8/Pro2010 use one version of Python, then Python went through an update. P9/Pro2012 and later use the newer Python. Many of the scripts have updated versions released, and sometimes they were offered for free; you might want to check your account history to see if you have any free updates available for download.

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
OMG! Does that mean you guys know the answer to the questions that has been plaguing me since I started scripting in Poser. What version of Python does it use? I'm guessing not 2.6, but is it 2.7? 3.0?

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
@Gadget Girl I have asked SMS about this several times, and they tend to avoid a straight answer. The reason being that Poser uses an internal Python version and they don't want us to install another version in our computers to avoid confusion. People would think Poser installs Python during its own installation, but no, it already comes with its own version built-in.

When I wanted to start scripting, I naturally installed the latest Python version, not knowing that it requires a specific version to be compatible. On one hand, this does cause confusion to the unsuspecting newbie, but on the other, I like to program on an IDE and not a text editor. Ironically, I even bought a couple of Python books, but none of them worked, even in the simplest examples, because Python apparently couldn't care less for backwards compatibility. I have books on many other programming languages, and the examples still work even after decades of updates, but apparently not with Python. They seem to change how things work in the next version, and that's why things stop working and need to be recompiled.

It was at that point that I gave up and went back to content creation. But at some point I want to try it again, since I have been a programmer for decades. :)

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Python is one language I never took any classes in. I should try it some time, though I doubt I'd ever produce any Poser Python scripts.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Most modern programming languages follow the international ECMA Script standard, like C, Java, C#, and ActionScript. However, Python is a very unusual language in that aspect - it has some pretty oddball ways of doing things that are reminiscent of the early days of programming languages. For starters, it's a quite minimalistic language, even MORE than C. That can lead to love or hate situations, where a single line of code can encapsulate a dozen different operations that can be quite hard to read. Python is also a language that seems to rely a lot on recursive loops to get things done, which is definitely not for everyone, and can easily lead to crashes and unpredictable results if not handled very carefully. In computer science, there are no lack of articles claiming that recursion should be treated as a last resort, and not common practice. Here again, Python doesn't seem to agree with that. Somehow, programming languages that don't follow modern standards make me nervous, because they are more prone to repeat mistakes from the past.