• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

WIP Work In Progress On Eli

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
What an amazing video...so wonderful to watch.

Great ideas for some poses if we get a baby eli also! Watching it made me think a mud encrusted elephant would be wonderful also.

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I came across this amazing video this morning- I so can't wait to get to play with the Eli's! :)
Getting to see wild elephants up close in Botswana while on horseback is still one of my most treasured memories.

Every Spring a Herd of Elephants Walks Through this Hotel's Lobby

Laurie, that is absolutely amazing. They are very intelligent animals, with very long memories, and a lot of personality. And yes, they can be very, very unpredictable.

I would be worried about the amount of trust they have in humans, simply because not all humans will return that respect, and some would be dangerous to that herd, and the baby.

But... if the main source of humans that the herd is used to, are those in the lodge - if you really study the footage you can see that when the herd comes through, they give the herd right-of-way and stay clear - if those are the main exposure to humans that the herd has, then I can understand why they would be that trusting. Just like any other creature, they learn where they are safe, and where they are not safe...

It's still an amazing video though. They are stunning animals!

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
We were very cautious/kept our distance when we came across a wild herd with a young one in the Delta in Botswana- they all huddled around the baby and sniffed the air with their trunks. That area was more forested and the sound they made when they charged out of there was amazing! This was one of the majestic bulls we encountered on another ride.

Elly.jpg

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Thanks Pen! I take that back- we ran into this guy on a evening mokoro "ride"- a native african type of canoe- unfortunately we couldn't take good cameras along on most of the rides- for one, that year I went, the Delta was seriously flooded- we rode in about 3 feet of water most days. Add a fassst gallop and.... talk about wet:) This will give you an idea:)

LLPSeretse.jpg

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
OMG...well that's one trip I couldn't do as I don't know how to ride a horse. That would have been hard work...and wet and cold!

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
LOL no really it was totally exhilarating!!! And it was never cold. Cooled down at night a little which was perfect for sleeping. Here's a short vid I found on YouTube that is a good summary of what it was like there at Macatoo. One does need to be fit enough and competent/comfortable with doing fast gallops- is about 6 hours a day. Riders are tested before they can go out- definitely not for the faint of heart:) You do need to be ready to gallop away from a charging elephant or ready to bail if a lion gets too interested in you:) The horse I am on in the pic is one who had survived a previous lion attack...

I would def have to "leg up" to do it again - my "long" rides these days are only a couple of hours. Too busy making stuff for HiveWire:)

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Glad to hear it wasn't cold...just wondering after watching the video were there crocs or alligators in the water? Or leeches...

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
YUCK! None of those sounds like fun Pen, so I'm hoping there weren't any. ~cringe~

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Probably not in North or Central Africa, but down near the southern tip, that's pretty close to the South Pole, so I would assume they get cold weather down there during our summer months.