• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Windows 10 Upgrade - Beware!

quietrob

Extraordinary
I think you can see not everyone is happy with the automated updates. Full disclosure. I had no problems with Windows 10 until the forced upgrade and it changing my password. But how many times does password change have to happen before you lose confidence? I type in my old password. It's an old friend, hard to guess, hard to break....and suddenly NO! Do not change the channel. Your television belongs to us. We control the horizontal...

Not fun.

But my Hivewire email is normally fun and zero spam!
I am on my way to check my email now! thx @Rokket

Stezza

Dances with Bees
My Win10 is linked to my Outlook acccount and I use a pin to log into windows on boot.. have done from the start when it first came out and have never had a problem.. running Build 17025 at the moment.

quietrob

Extraordinary
How does a pin differ from a password? Isn't it the same thing?

To be honest, even a password isn't needed. It's a home computer, there is just the two of us and I'm IT for both my computer and hers. I only keep it because I want to add just a tiny bit of security but now it's just a bother.

Rokket

Dances with Bees
I only use my password to keep my son off mine. He's at the age where he loves the games that come with it, and I know he will be poking around where he doesn't belong if I let him. I don't use a password on my laptop when I am away from home. It's of no use.

And no, there is nothing on here that I am hiding. I just don't want him screwing something up by opening something he doesn't know how to use, like Poser...

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
How does a pin differ from a password? Isn't it the same thing?

A PIN number is simply an easier way to deal with passwords, because it only requires 4 digits. Passwords require at least 6-8 characters minimum, so PIN numbers are easier to remember. It's not the same as a password, but instead it is an alternative way to login. Win10 also offers picture drawing and face recognition methods as well. You can choose which method you want, and can also disable user authentication when coming back from sleep or hibernation state, so you ONLY need to login if you shutdown or reboot.

I only use my password to keep my son off mine.

In that case you can create a guest account for your son, where he cannot change system settings. You can actually decide what he can or cannot do in that account, and even control what time and for how long he can use it with parenting control.

Hornet3d

Wise
I have a password manager that generates complex passwords so most the time I do not now what they are the manager just logs me in and out, lets me know if I am using a password that is weak or is time to be changed. Sorry but I trust the manager far more than I would MS with my passwords.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Unfortunately, we cannot use password managers with Windows logons. At least not as far as I know.

Hornet3d

Wise
Unfortunately, we cannot use password managers with Windows logons. At least not as far as I know.

Come to think of it that would be right, it is the one password it could not auto input, although it could be used to hold the information in secure notes.

Stezza

Dances with Bees
yep... same wheelbarrow different wheel..

use whatever your competent with is the easiest way.

for me it's better the devil I know :devil"

AlphinaNovaStar

Energetic
I like the pin as it is easier to login. Also I need to update my actual password that is not dumb or stupid and harder to guess. Also at the same time easy for me to guess or remember. I forget passwords too easily. That is why I either use the same password for an account or abuse and reuse the forgot password feature too much.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I prefer PIN as well. There is also the new "Windows Hello", which relies on a camera to recognize the user automatically without having to type anything. It apparently requires some special kind of camera, though. Not sure what, but they claim the camera from my Surface Pro 3 is not compatible with it.

AlphinaNovaStar

Energetic
I prefer PIN as well. There is also the new "Windows Hello", which relies on a camera to recognize the user automatically without having to type anything. It apparently requires some special kind of camera, though. Not sure what, but they claim the camera from my Surface Pro 3 is not compatible with it.
I am having a feeling my computer's camera is insufficient also.

Rokket

Dances with Bees
In that case you can create a guest account for your son, where he cannot change system settings. You can actually decide what he can or cannot do in that account, and even control what time and for how long he can use it with parenting control.

Or I can just password protect it and keep him off of it. He has a tablet and a laptop of his own. He just likes mine because I have a 17" screen...

quietrob

Extraordinary
Heh! Oh yeah. Bigger is better when it comes to screens. I looked it up and indeed a simple webcam won't do. Pity. It sounds like a great idea if it can keep up with changes in lighting or if I decide to grow a moustache. It would be just like Microsoft to want control of my facial hair. I do wonder if it can survive an upgrade if someone screws up. Again.

I also had some issues after the Redstone 3 (1709) update was installed. A couple of programs I use a lot started to misbehave for no apparent reason, and the web browser performance went south. After several weeks of frustration, I managed to fix the issues by a mix of hacks and calling tech support.

But besides that, I think Win10 is still the best OS after WinXP and Win7. I wouldn't dream of going back to the security issues from Win7 or XP anytime soon. The only annoying thing is the mix of new and old configuration panels that are still present in the latest version, where sometimes the same configuration is available in 2 places (old and new panels). Microsoft also seems to be dumbing down the configuration panels to make it easier for newbie users, but taking away control from the advanced users. Some things I used to be able to control have been taken away from the Win10 settings, or made more obscure to find it.

One thing is to make the interface more user-friendly, and another is to dumb it down with attempts to automate things that should be done manually. It comes down to hit-or-miss "auto-detection" attempts that have plagued Windows for ages. It's great when it works, but if it doesn't, there is no way around it. It seems to me that the more Microsoft tries to automate things, the less control we have over the OS.

The most annoying part of it is UAC, which treats me like an idiot who don't know what I am doing as means to "protect" me from harm. I am interrupted and questioned whenever I want to do something as trivial as to create, or even rename a folder. And since Redstone 2, I can no longer run my own batch files, because those are now blocked even to administrator level users, and there is no easy way around it. That might sound great on paper to protect newbies, but it's a nightmare for veteran users. Microsoft claims to have "simplified" Control Panel, but in reality it's now broken into a multitude of panels, where finding things became a chore. Even though the old interface is still there, things can get confusing when you dig into it, with a mix of new and old panels, along with missing settings.

The way Win10 is going is to dumb it down to a child-level. It's a similar feeling when I call tech support and we get the condescending tone, being treated like a child. This is where that infamous joke from tech support came from - have you tried leaving the building, and then coming back in? At some point Microsoft is failing to understand that we are not all idiots.

So those are my pros and cons for Win10. Great stability and better security, but sometimes taken to paranoid levels that hinder advanced users.

They don't want folks using the old batch files; they want us to switch to PowerShell instead. And yes, it drives me bonkers trying to do something with Control Panel when half of those are redirecting to the junk heap ... And don't get me started on Cortana...

Rokket

Dances with Bees
Cortana is disabled on my machine. Especially since it spends a good majority of its time not connected to the web.

quietrob

Extraordinary
I have a single registry hack that allows me to take ownership of any file on any hard drive connected to my computer. It was made during the time of Windows 7 but still works just fine with windows 10. I do have another registry hack that allows me to see hidden files after I once infected by malware on my old system. It's really no longer needed as I am paranoid about visiting websites that my anti-virus warns me isn't safe.