• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Windows 10 Upgrade - Beware!

quietrob

Extraordinary
The upgrade I did was as annoying as they always are. It took time away from the computer but I suppose it was necessary.

What wasn't necessary is that it wiped out my computer login password!

Yup. Wiped it clean. I was fighting to get back on my own system. Yes, I won or I wouldn't be here to tell the tale.

As to how I won. I have a microsoft account for things like "word" and other applications. When all was lost I entered THAT (microsoft account) password and it let me login to my computer. Luckily I keep all passwords elsewhere besides on my computer and had this one underlined. So in effect, Microsoft Windows 10 changed my password without telling me. This is not a good thing.

Sweetheart also updated her laptop. For some reason, it had no such problem. However, she doesn't have a microsoft account other than her system login.

Just a note. And a warning....

Hornet3d

Wise
The inability to be able to stop Windows updates is the major reason that I refuse to update to Windows 10. I do work on Windows 10 as I have helped numerous friends with issues not related to W10 itself and, while I have yet to warm to it I could work with it if I had to but the enforced update are an issue. I understand the argument that it means everyone gets the security updates but in some cases, as here, updates can do as much damage as a virus and it has happened to me in the past. Furthermore, I used to apply updates in Windows 7 but quite honestly, after the very underhand way they upgraded a number of my friends computers to Windows 10 via updates I no longer even do that.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Furthermore, I used to apply updates in Windows 7 but quite honestly, after the very underhand way they upgraded a number of my friends computers to Windows 10 via updates I no longer even do that.
Oh I remember fighting with those, but I never do automatic updates, so I just "hid" the ones I didn't want that were related to the Win10 update.

Szark

Awesome
I got Win 10 Pro on a new system and haven't had any issues with it. In fact I would say it is the most stable and secure MS OS I have ever used and I started at 3.1. :)

Hornet3d

Wise
I got Win 10 Pro on a new system and haven't had any issues with it. In fact I would say it is the most stable and secure MS OS I have ever used and I started at 3.1. :)

Not saying it is a bad OS and lots of people use it without problems, but for me the inability to pick and choose what updates and when to update is a step too far. It's a personal choice and my decision is very biased against trusting MS, for no other reason than their updates have bitten me too many times in the past.

mdbruffy

Enthusiast
I agree with everything posted here. Their updates have messed me up several times- and the way they've cut back on the system restore program so you can't get out of them doesn't help matters any.

Szark

Awesome
Not saying it is a bad OS and lots of people use it without problems, but for me the inability to pick and choose what updates and when to update is a step too far. It's a personal choice and my decision is very biased against trusting MS, for no other reason than their updates have bitten me too many times in the past.
Yeah I still don't like the forced updates but I run a tight ship and never had any major issues with updates. Yes they snoop more too but again I don't care, I just turn as much of it off as I can. All I am interested in is a good UI and stability without me having to jump through hoops to run my liked software.

Cliff Bowman

Adventurous
On a new system or a fresh install I have come to terms with Windows 10 and, with the various intrusions tweaked to minimum, mostly now prefer it to Windows 7.

I remember Windows 2 ish ;)

As an upgrade, Windows 10 is a ducking nightmare. It's about as stable as the average DC Comics villain when upgraded from Windows 7, in my experience at least.

System drive backups are your friend - so is your chosen flavour of remote control. So that when a Windows 10 upgrade hoses your video driver such that your monitor cannot display the screen you can easily remote in to fix the problem.

Cheers,

Cliff

McGyver

Energetic
Yeah, more or less, the same happened to my in-laws when they accidentally upgraded to Windows 10... I really, really, really haaaaaaaaaaate windows 10... Any time they have any difficulty with their computer it's because of stupid Windows 10.
Personally Microsoft should have billed it as "Windows 8.Sux X10000000" so as to avoid any high expectations.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Personally Microsoft should have billed it as "Windows 8.Sux X10000000" so as to avoid any high expectations.
:rofl: It's become a toss-up as to which company I hate the more . . . Microsoft or Google.

spearcarrier

Admirable
GRRR Windows 10!!!

To upgrade my 3d render put to it, so I can use mocap, I had to do tell the system I was doing an external install. So I downloaded the program to one of my big drives.

What the system DIDN'T tell me is that by doing it, it was going to wipe my entire drive *and* make the drive think it was only a few GB big.

Oh oh. It doesn't stop there.

I had no idea the damage had been done and installed.

The ****/!11@#$#@$!@#! thing installed Windows 10. It worked well.

It wiped my hard drive with my years and years and YEARS collection of 3D things - some things you can't find anymore.
Some things I had made.
The drive was too big to backup so only *some* things were backed up on another drive.

The drive was dropbox enabled. So through dropbox is reached through the cloud and wiped things on my main work computer too.

Some things I got back.
90% of things I can never get back.

I'm so d*** furious at Windows 10.

The biggest insult to the unjury is that it also wiped the mocap program I had spent $200 on... that I was having to upgrade to use. Can I remember the name of the program or do I have anything to try to get it back? No. No of course I don't.

Microsuck owes me. BIG.

Hornet3d

Wise
GRRR Windows 10!!!

To upgrade my 3d render put to it, so I can use mocap, I had to do tell the system I was doing an external install. So I downloaded the program to one of my big drives.

What the system DIDN'T tell me is that by doing it, it was going to wipe my entire drive *and* make the drive think it was only a few GB big.

Oh oh. It doesn't stop there.

I had no idea the damage had been done and installed.

The ****/!11@#$#@$!@#! thing installed Windows 10. It worked well.

It wiped my hard drive with my years and years and YEARS collection of 3D things - some things you can't find anymore.
Some things I had made.
The drive was too big to backup so only *some* things were backed up on another drive.

The drive was dropbox enabled. So through dropbox is reached through the cloud and wiped things on my main work computer too.

Some things I got back.
90% of things I can never get back.

I'm so d*** furious at Windows 10.

The biggest insult to the unjury is that it also wiped the mocap program I had spent $200 on... that I was having to upgrade to use. Can I remember the name of the program or do I have anything to try to get it back? No. No of course I don't.

Microsuck owes me. BIG.

I am really sorry to hear of all your troubles, it must be so frustrating to lose so much, let alone the cost of getting back a system anywhere near close to what you had. Sadly this is not the first total disaster I have heard of in relation to Windows 10 but then I am the sort of person most family and friends turn to with their computer problems so I see more than the average user. Having Windows 10 on a new system and porting data across from an existing may be OK, but then I still wouldn't trust the updates. If I have to have a second system running another OS incase an update I have no control over wipes my system there seems little point in downgrading from W7 to W10.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
You forgot to include Apple.
:rofl: It's become a toss-up as to which company I hate the more . . . Microsoft or Google.

And ... you probably should add Amazon to that list :wink: Between those four companies, they control the world. And probably know everything we think, do, and buy every minute of the day.

That said ... I'd far rather have a PC than an Apple. I also accept that my next PC will be a Windows 10 PC, and with the changes to Windows 10, I'm ok with that. I just don't want to go through the hassle of upgrading Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10.

We did start rolling out Windows 10 laptops at work, but because of a problem with a city/state application and the mousepad on those laptops, the switch to Windows 10 has been put on hold. But the developers who were switched to Windows 10, don't have any problems with it. Then too, they also use mice and they don't use that city/state application. Since the developers on Windows 10 have a Windows 7 type desktop display, I'd probably have survived having my Windows 7 Pro laptop replaced by a Windows 10 laptop.

I'd far rather use Microsoft Office than any other spreadsheet/document suite out there.

I'm happy with Gmail and storing my documents on Google Drive. In my opinion, there is no competition to Google Maps. Google Calendar is definitely my online calendar of choice (and I love how it integrates with my phone). I suppose I shouldn't overlook Google Photos either. And of course, my browser of choice is Google Chrome. I hate when I have to use any other browser ... especially IE ... which is a Microsoft fail in my opinion. As is Microsoft Outlook. Yet, I know people who wouldn't use anything else.

So, while I may not be a fan of everything that Microsoft and Google does, I'd rather not live without their products. (Well, other than IE and Outlook).

I also happen to think Bill Gates turned out rather well, and I rather admire what he has done/does outside the world of PCs. One may not like Microsoft, but that money has probably benefitted far more people in third world countries then it has inconvenienced us in the "richer" countries.

I may not like how Jeff Bezos runs Amazon, but Amazon has made my life so much easier. And it saves me a ton of money in gas and time. It's the best thing for people like me who hate going to stores ... and avoid crowds like the plague.

Miss B

CV-BEE
You forgot to include Apple.
And ... you probably should add Amazon to that list :wink: Between those four companies, they control the world. And probably know everything we think, do, and buy every minute of the day.
The only reason I didn't add Apple is, I've never really used a Mac, and am not into iPad, et al., so can't really say I hate them. Google and Microsoft I despise with a vengeance.

As far as Amazon goes, yes they've made things hard for a lot of companies, but like you, I purchase a lot of things on Amazon, though more books than anything else. When I was still taking a lot of classes that required expensive computer books, I would check them out at my local B&N (unfortunately now gone), but always purchased at Amazon because they were always cheaper, and since most of them were $35-$40 each, I never had to pay for shipping.

Stezza

Dances with Bees
wow, sad to hear so many bad stories on win10

I can honestly say I haven't had any problems at all with windows 10, I'm presently on the MS slow ring and have used 10 since before it's release to the public..

Just trying to think of any windows I've had problems with, none really, not even 3.0 or Me ... Vista was probably the most annoying for me out of all of them.. I even reinstalled 7 last month just to make sure but that only lasted an hour or so before I wiped it and went back to 10.

We don't have Amazon ( yet ) so don't know.. apparently it's opening soon downunder ..

But Windows 10 gets a thumbs up from me.

Miss B

CV-BEE
I would assume Win10 isn't all that bad on a brand new computer, but I've heard enough horror show stories from those who upgraded to stay away from it.

My favorite Widows version was XP Pro, BUT, it was only 32-bit, and when I got this laptop, which is 64-bit, it had Win7 Pro installed. It took me about 2 1/2 weeks to rework the way they had the Start Menu set up, as I was used to how my XP Pro laptop was set up, and wanted it to be as close as possible. It didn't take long afterwards for me to start to like Win7, and 5 years later, I don't want to start playing with Win10 on this computer.

BTW, my first version of Windows was 3.11 For Work Groups, which I installed on my first, DOS-based laptop years ago, and then I wrote a menu system for the laptop to boot to, so I could choose which apps I wanted to play in. My first Windows only version was Win95, then Win98SE, then XP Pro, and now 7 Pro. I've had enough of Windows to last the rest of my lifetime.

Stezza

Dances with Bees
I laugh at these people who lined up for the latest iPhone X... derrr..

then I thought back to when Windows 98 was released in Australia at midnight at the stores and guess who was there... lol

Miss B

CV-BEE
Oh you should've seen the lines around the B&N here when the last Harry Potter volume came out. I remember it was near the end of the year, so folks were buying them up for stocking stuffers. ;)