• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Windows 10 Upgrade - Beware!

Nod

Adventurous
I've never had a problem with it. I have it on my lappy, as well as my mega beast.

Nod

Adventurous
I laugh at these people who lined up for the latest iPhone X... derrr..

then I thought back to when Windows 98 was released in Australia at midnight at the stores and guess who was there... lol

I bet you didn't pay £1000 for Windows 98 though? :D

Stezza

Dances with Bees
nope... I can't remember how much it was.... $59 I think lol

my android xPeria z2 is still happily churning out photos and making calls so Apple won't be getting anything out of me I'm afraid. :cool:

quietrob

Extraordinary
@HaiGan I would think Windows 10 would've brought you extra customers.

@Stezza I too was just like you. Now after Windows 10 decided to change my password without my permission...Not so much

@spearcarrier I feel your pain. I really do. I just lost a hard drive and it has stuff from vendors that are no longer in business or were swallowed by the DAZ machines. Predatron and Sixus Media. I bought directly from their sites so they would get a bigger piece of the pie. When my drive went belly up, I was left high and dry. Other places like the original Poser Place is gone. So I know what it's like to lose years of content. After this last debacle, If I didn't need windows 10 to run the latest software, it would be out of the window. Unfortunately, I learned a long time ago, You can't fight the wind. Just ask the Mountain.

To those who still rage against the machines, I am with you. The Amazon's, the Walmarts...but not Starbucks. I love me some Starbucks Frappacinos! Yes, it's overpriced but it's so gooooood!

I'm giving everyone a like for feeling my pain and letting me know I'm not alone.

Hornet3d

Wise
@HaiGan I would think Windows 10 would've brought you extra customers.

@Stezza I too was just like you. Now after Windows 10 decided to change my password without my permission...Not so much

@spearcarrier I feel your pain. I really do. I just lost a hard drive and it has stuff from vendors that are no longer in business or were swallowed by the DAZ machines. Predatron and Sixus Media. I bought directly from their sites so they would get a bigger piece of the pie. When my drive went belly up, I was left high and dry. Other places like the original Poser Place is gone. So I know what it's like to lose years of content. After this last debacle, If I didn't need windows 10 to run the latest software, it would be out of the window. Unfortunately, I learned a long time ago, You can't fight the wind. Just ask the Mountain.

To those who still rage against the machines, I am with you. The Amazon's, the Walmarts...but not Starbucks. I love me some Starbucks Frappacinos! Yes, it's overpriced but it's so gooooood!

I'm giving everyone a like for feeling my pain and letting me know I'm not alone.

I think a lot of this is a case of the lesser of two evils which is often a personal choice. I did not trust the cloud for ages, I still don't fully but I use it as a backup rather than risk losing all of the content I have built up over the year's. If I had to use W10 it would be on a new machine so I stick with what I have rather than pay to put my content at risk. I don't like that Amazon pays so little tax but many large companies don't and I use them regularly rather than go to the high street an experience the dire customer service that appears to be the norm in the UK.

HaiGan

Energetic
Contributing Artist
HaiGan I would think Windows 10 would've brought you extra customers.

Well, yes, most of them struggling with the upgrade. The only customer support issues I had with people going right in with a new Win10 PC were generally things like 'how do I do X, it's not in the same place as it used to be'. Those upgrading were asking things like "How do I get it to talk to my old printer?" ("Sorry, you can't, the manufacturer didn't produce a new driver and the windows 7/8 driver or universal driver isn't working on this occasion either.") or "How do I install/run software X?" (They were usually coming to me when their more technically-minded relative/friend had already tried things like compatibility mode, and even if it could be persuaded to run the procedure was usually too complex for them to want to learn to use it), or they'd got stuck in the middle of an upgrade or update because they'd run out of disk space. My personal favourite was "Can you put Windows XP back on there for me?"

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I also had some issues after the Redstone 3 (1709) update was installed. A couple of programs I use a lot started to misbehave for no apparent reason, and the web browser performance went south. After several weeks of frustration, I managed to fix the issues by a mix of hacks and calling tech support.

But besides that, I think Win10 is still the best OS after WinXP and Win7. I wouldn't dream of going back to the security issues from Win7 or XP anytime soon. The only annoying thing is the mix of new and old configuration panels that are still present in the latest version, where sometimes the same configuration is available in 2 places (old and new panels). Microsoft also seems to be dumbing down the configuration panels to make it easier for newbie users, but taking away control from the advanced users. Some things I used to be able to control have been taken away from the Win10 settings, or made more obscure to find it.

One thing is to make the interface more user-friendly, and another is to dumb it down with attempts to automate things that should be done manually. It comes down to hit-or-miss "auto-detection" attempts that have plagued Windows for ages. It's great when it works, but if it doesn't, there is no way around it. It seems to me that the more Microsoft tries to automate things, the less control we have over the OS.

The most annoying part of it is UAC, which treats me like an idiot who don't know what I am doing as means to "protect" me from harm. I am interrupted and questioned whenever I want to do something as trivial as to create, or even rename a folder. And since Redstone 2, I can no longer run my own batch files, because those are now blocked even to administrator level users, and there is no easy way around it. That might sound great on paper to protect newbies, but it's a nightmare for veteran users. Microsoft claims to have "simplified" Control Panel, but in reality it's now broken into a multitude of panels, where finding things became a chore. Even though the old interface is still there, things can get confusing when you dig into it, with a mix of new and old panels, along with missing settings.

The way Win10 is going is to dumb it down to a child-level. It's a similar feeling when I call tech support and we get the condescending tone, being treated like a child. This is where that infamous joke from tech support came from - have you tried leaving the building, and then coming back in? At some point Microsoft is failing to understand that we are not all idiots.

So those are my pros and cons for Win10. Great stability and better security, but sometimes taken to paranoid levels that hinder advanced users.

Hornet3d

Wise
I also had some issues after the Redstone 3 (1709) update was installed. A couple of programs I use a lot started to misbehave for no apparent reason, and the web browser performance went south. After several weeks of frustration, I managed to fix the issues by a mix of hacks and calling tech support.

But besides that, I think Win10 is still the best OS after WinXP and Win7. I wouldn't dream of going back to the security issues from Win7 or XP anytime soon. The only annoying thing is the mix of new and old configuration panels that are still present in the latest version, where sometimes the same configuration is available in 2 places (old and new panels). Microsoft also seems to be dumbing down the configuration panels to make it easier for newbie users, but taking away control from the advanced users. Some things I used to be able to control have been taken away from the Win10 settings, or made more obscure to find it.

One thing is to make the interface more user-friendly, and another is to dumb it down with attempts to automate things that should be done manually. It comes down to hit-or-miss "auto-detection" attempts that have plagued Windows for ages. It's great when it works, but if it doesn't, there is no way around it. It seems to me that the more Microsoft tries to automate things, the less control we have over the OS.

The most annoying part of it is UAC, which treats me like an idiot who don't know what I am doing as means to "protect" me from harm. I am interrupted and questioned whenever I want to do something as trivial as to create, or even rename a folder. And since Redstone 2, I can no longer run my own batch files, because those are now blocked even to administrator level users, and there is no easy way around it. That might sound great on paper to protect newbies, but it's a nightmare for veteran users. Microsoft claims to have "simplified" Control Panel, but in reality it's now broken into a multitude of panels, where finding things became a chore. Even though the old interface is still there, things can get confusing when you dig into it, with a mix of new and old panels, along with missing settings.

The way Win10 is going is to dumb it down to a child-level. It's a similar feeling when I call tech support and we get the condescending tone, being treated like a child. This is where that infamous joke from tech support came from - have you tried leaving the building, and then coming back in? At some point Microsoft is failing to understand that we are not all idiots.

So those are my pros and cons for Win10. Great stability and better security, but sometimes taken to paranoid levels that hinder advanced users.

As someone who does not use W10 it is interesting to hear your concerns. I have no issues with dumbing down and hand holding as long as there is a way to take the ball and chain off when you want to wander farther and faster than the average user.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
When it comes to 3D rendering and performance issues, I think Win10 has an edge over Win7 because all the new device drivers have been optimized to the current version. When there is no Win10 driver, we can still use the Win7/8/Vista ones and for the most part, and they work fine. However, we cannot use Win10 drivers in older Windows versions. There is also DirectX12 and its performance-saving features - they only work in Win10. Some DirectX11 features also only work in Win10, and are automatically disabled in Win7/8/Vista. Half of the new features in iClone 7 fall into that category.

However, Win10 is not all wine and roses. Day 1 after the Redstone 3 update 1709, my PC simply had no sound. I have a dedicated SoundBlaster sound card, and Microsoft has decided it should be using a Realtek driver on it, which causes it to stop working. Of course, I can simply remove it and reinstall the proper driver, but soon after Win10 updates will replace it again without asking me. This is a classic example of when Microsoft is going too far with "automatic" tasks. It SHOULD ask me before doing something like that, but now it doesn't, because they think we are idiots who don't know what we are doing.

Don't get me wrong - automation is great - but only when done where it belongs.

Hornet3d

Wise
When it comes to 3D rendering and performance issues, I think Win10 has an edge over Win7 because all the new device drivers have been optimized to the current version. When there is no Win10 driver, we can still use the Win7/8/Vista ones and for the most part, and they work fine. However, we cannot use Win10 drivers in older Windows versions. There is also DirectX12 and its performance-saving features - they only work in Win10. Some DirectX11 features also only work in Win10, and are automatically disabled in Win7/8/Vista. Half of the new features in iClone 7 fall into that category.

However, Win10 is not all wine and roses. Day 1 after the Redstone 3 update 1709, my PC simply had no sound. I have a dedicated SoundBlaster sound card, and Microsoft has decided it should be using a Realtek driver on it, which causes it to stop working. Of course, I can simply remove it and reinstall the proper driver, but soon after Win10 updates will replace it again without asking me. This is a classic example of when Microsoft is going too far with "automatic" tasks. It SHOULD ask me before doing something like that, but now it doesn't, because they think we are idiots who don't know what we are doing.

Don't get me wrong - automation is great - but only when done where it belongs.

The biggest problem I get with Windows 10 from others is to do with drivers. I am not expecting MS to be perfect and the odd driver glitch is to be expected but there should be away to revert back without the update just reapplying the one with the glitch.

I understand some of the benefits of Windows 10 and I also see that someone in the 3D world who uses a computer to make money on the side, or a living, should be using the best. For me it is a hobby and when I find some free time I like to be able to render and not spend time fixing my PC for whatever reason. The reason my time is short is often because I am fixing other people's machines so I don't then want to fix my own just to get it to work as it was the day before.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Like it was with the other Windows versions, time will resolve these issues. Microsoft claims this is the last Windows version, in the sense that there will be no Windows 11. They will keep improving Win10 and also adding new features based on what people want the most. Instead of spending millions trying to come up with something new, they just ask people to suggest, and the most voted ideas get incorporated into Windows. Sounds like a good idea to me.

Hornet3d

Wise
Like it was with the other Windows versions, time will resolve these issues. Microsoft claims this is the last Windows version, in the sense that there will be no Windows 11. They will keep improving Win10 and also adding new features based on what people want the most. Instead of spending millions trying to come up with something new, they just ask people to suggest, and the most voted ideas get incorporated into Windows. Sounds like a good idea to me.

Seems a great idea to be as well and I know the forced updates are an issue with many. I know part of the aim is to improve security but there must be a better way.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I suspect the forced updates might be related to security patches (save people from known attacks), and also to reduce the tech support cost from people who haven't updated in a long time. After all, most updates are nothing but bug fixing. They leave new features to the big updates, 2-3 times a year if I remember this right.

Hornet3d

Wise
I suspect the forced updates might be related to security patches (save people from known attacks), and also to reduce the tech support cost from people who haven't updated in a long time. After all, most updates are nothing but bug fixing. They leave new features to the big updates, 2-3 times a year if I remember this right.

I understand the theory but hate the implementation.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Yeah, I am not a fan either, but I kind of understand the reasons behind it. At least I think I do. LOL

Hornet3d

Wise
Yeah, I am not a fan either, but I kind of understand the reasons behind it. At least I think I do. LOL

In fairness to MS, making life more difficult for the diligent and honest due to the lack and sometimes criminal acts of other seems the way of the world. Hence why I have to go looking for decent and accurate news while the outlets I used to rely on provide wall to wall dumbed down and very biased versions, or is that just the grumpy old man in me speaking.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I guess "fake news" have become the norm nowadays, thanks to endless funding from certain factions. News go where the money flows. It surprises me how could they could last this long lying blatantly as if we were all idiots. The mass media has become so biased they don't even hide it anymore. I still remember how Newsweek was selling their magazine with Hillary Clinton's face as the winner after the last election, clearly showing who they were catering for. I know it's common practice for publishers to print magazines for both leading candidates beforehand, but what matters is which one they pushed to the public before the final results were known. They were already doing that during the whole campaign, and they are still doing that now. That's the very definition of biased.

Rokket

Dances with Bees
@quietrob I hope you got your problem solved and got your old password back. I just did an update to my new laptop and had no problems, at least non apparent. Check your mail here buddy!