• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Why doesn't Male clothign sell better?

Hornet3d

Wise
I wonder if there is a way to know in what proportion the split has happened, because Poser used to be the bigger market, and now DAZ claims they took the bigger slice, but I don't trust a thing they say. As far as they are concerned, the Poser market doesn't exist anymore, and they push that idea in their forums as if it were true. Maybe what they mean at corporate level is that they don't care if Poser exists or not, because they have their own software and don't depend on Poser like they used to in the past. That makes it easier for them to claim that Poser no longer exists. It will remain like that for as long as SMS continues to act as if DAZ were not their competitor.

I am not aware of any reliable way of measuring the split so I guess we will never know. There was a lot of argument on another forum some time ago when there was the claim made that one side had more users, now that is even more difficult to prove. With the market place there is some data on what is being purchased but for products common to both Poser and DS there is little way of knowing which program it will be used in or indeed, it could be used in both. Then there are users of both programs who rarely buy anything, if at all. The only fact that appears to be drawn from this is that the split, in the main, is bad for the community.

eclark1894

Visionary
I think DAZ gets it's numbers from the number of downloads of Studio. That always struck me as a bit disingenuous though because if you do like Genesis and want to play with it, you HAVE to download Studio. Doesn't mean you've switched. I have a copy of DS, and I think pretty much everyone knows I'm a confirmed Poser user.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
The only fact that appears to be drawn from this is that the split, in the main, is bad for the community.

Haha people called me crazy when I first said that many years ago, claiming it was all in my imagination. Now it's easier to see it when sales have already gone down, but way back then, people refused to see the effects such a split would have in the market. But one thing is for sure - male clothing was already more scarce even before the split.

I think DAZ gets it's numbers from the number of downloads of Studio. That always struck me as a bit disingenuous though because if you do like Genesis and want to play with it, you HAVE to download Studio. Doesn't mean you've switched.

Indeed. Not to mention how many have downloaded but never installed the program. Or how many have installed it, but didn't understand how it works, or just wanted to see what it was and never used it again? Number of downloads proves nothing.

Hornet3d

Wise
The thing with any split is that stuff on the margin of profitability tend to get hit the hardest so if male clothing was already scarce the split would likely have a bigger impact on male clothing than female.

Hornet3d

Wise
I think DAZ gets it's numbers from the number of downloads of Studio. That always struck me as a bit disingenuous though because if you do like Genesis and want to play with it, you HAVE to download Studio. Doesn't mean you've switched. I have a copy of DS, and I think pretty much everyone knows I'm a confirmed Poser user.

Well if there are a lot like me then the figures are skewed, I downloaded it and even tried running it but it would not install on my system. I may have been able to get it to work but firstly I had Poser anyway and secondly I was a little unsure what other problems there could be if I could not even install it. Nothing against Daz, I would have had the same concerns on any software that would not install.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I haven't been able to make the DS CMS work in my computer since version 4.7. I just can't use metadata anymore.

Terre

Renowned
@Hornet3d : My husband discovered many years ago that the reason he couldn't get D/S to run on his computer was a DLL conflict with a legacy program he needs. You might have had a similar situation.

Hornet3d

Wise
@Hornet3d : My husband discovered many years ago that the reason he couldn't get D/S to run on his computer was a DLL conflict with a legacy program he needs. You might have had a similar situation.

Thanks for the tip, you're right knowing what I use that could be the case.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I couldn't get my old DS 2 to install on this Win7 Pro laptop for some reason, but my DS 3 Advanced and DS 4.0 Pro installed just fine. By that point I didn't really need the DS 2, so wasn't a big deal.

As far as the CMS, I never used it because the majority of my content was Poser compatible, so just accessed it from my Runtime, except for materials, because the old versions of DS couldn't access the Materials library, but then most vendors included .pz2 files for adding materials in the older versions of DS. Now, I believe, they've no longer been needed since DS 4.5.

quietrob

Extraordinary
I mainly use DS for conversions. I suppose if I grew up with DS I'd be a staunch defender of it. I mean, it's a really good program. I do think Poser is better but that's just my opinion. I've seen terrific renders by both. Those DAZ people are pretty darn smart. If they want my business, they'll start leaning a bit more my way. I hope someone is there that remembers the days when Poser Users as well as DAZ users used to drop in and shop there everyday. Who wants to leave coins on the barrel?

As far as Male clothing. I've been able to find both. So if the OP can be a bit more detailed about when he's looking for at any particular moment, me and the wonderful people here at the Hive can probably help you. After all, it's Christmas time and if I remember the names right, Gimbels did send some customers to Macy's and they did quite alright.

As far as clothing itself. Ken and I are like brothers in this. Most likely Hornet as well. I also agree with the simple fact that women shop more than men. It's not sexist. It's just the wonderful differences between the sexes. It's like shoes. I have four pair. Three pair I rarely wear. I like my sneakers.

Sweetheart (the wife) has more shoes than I can count.

I have one wallet. Sweetheart has purses and handbags to match occasions and is extra pleased when there is a matching wallet. Her clothing when we were dating bordered on the refined to the outrageous depending on the occasion. My job was to be clean, shaved and look pretty much like every other guy.

It's the same now. You might find some differences in armor or a sci-fi suit. But in almost everything else, women's clothing are more varied so there is a natural curve upward when it comes clothing here, at the hive or anywhere else. Vive La Difference!

eclark1894

Visionary
Being the OP, Rob, I'm not looking for anything in particular. Just asking people for their POV on why Male Clothing doesn't sell as well as female clothing. I mean, as for me, I can make pretty much anything I need for Dusk if I really need it. Everybody's not that lucky.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Mind you ... some of us women have wardrobes more like you men! I have a backpack and a small travel wallet. If I'm going somewhere and my backpack isn't acceptable, then it's not somewhere I want to go.

Comfort is far more important to me than being stylish.

While I primarily do renders with females, I have been known to do renders with only males or with both male and female. Being female, it's just easier for me to identify with my female characters.

Lyne

Distinguished
HW Honey Bear
Maybe it doesn't sell better BECAUSE THERE ISN'T ANY??? I mean relatively... I buy EVERYTHING I can FIND for Dusk.... but today, as I sort my zips to have a major installing session(s), my folder with zips for Dusk clothes is pathetic! :cry: Two of the zips are characters.... sigh sigh...sigh..

Hornet3d

Wise
Mind you ... some of us women have wardrobes more like you men! I have a backpack and a small travel wallet. If I'm going somewhere and my backpack isn't acceptable, then it's not somewhere I want to go.

Comfort is far more important to me than being stylish.

While I primarily do renders with females, I have been known to do renders with only males or with both male and female. Being female, it's just easier for me to identify with my female characters.

You are not alone, both my nieces have wardrobes more like the average male. If there are dresses in there I rarely seem them wearing them. One is not a surprise as she loves animals and is not so good with people so the occasions when she has to dress up is rare, the other, well she never grew out of being a tomboy really (no offense meant to anyone called Tom anywhere).

Hornet3d

Wise
I mainly use DS for conversions. I suppose if I grew up with DS I'd be a staunch defender of it. I mean, it's a really good program. I do think Poser is better but that's just my opinion. I've seen terrific renders by both. Those DAZ people are pretty darn smart. If they want my business, they'll start leaning a bit more my way. I hope someone is there that remembers the days when Poser Users as well as DAZ users used to drop in and shop there everyday. Who wants to leave coins on the barrel?

As far as Male clothing. I've been able to find both. So if the OP can be a bit more detailed about when he's looking for at any particular moment, me and the wonderful people here at the Hive can probably help you. After all, it's Christmas time and if I remember the names right, Gimbels did send some customers to Macy's and they did quite alright.

As far as clothing itself. Ken and I are like brothers in this. Most likely Hornet as well. I also agree with the simple fact that women shop more than men. It's not sexist. It's just the wonderful differences between the sexes. It's like shoes. I have four pair. Three pair I rarely wear. I like my sneakers.

Sweetheart (the wife) has more shoes than I can count.

I have one wallet. Sweetheart has purses and handbags to match occasions and is extra pleased when there is a matching wallet. Her clothing when we were dating bordered on the refined to the outrageous depending on the occasion. My job was to be clean, shaved and look pretty much like every other guy.

It's the same now. You might find some differences in armor or a sci-fi suit. But in almost everything else, women's clothing are more varied so there is a natural curve upward when it comes clothing here, at the hive or anywhere else. Vive La Difference!

As someone who was in his mid twenties before I owned a home computer I am amazed at what can be done with DS or Poser, in the same way I am stunned that most people carry something far more powerful in their pockets these days. There's no doubt in my mind the DS is a great program and so is Poser, they have more in common than separates them, I just wish Daz was a little more inclusive, but then I think that about a lot of corporations and a life in general.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Maybe it doesn't sell better BECAUSE THERE ISN'T ANY??? I mean relatively... I buy EVERYTHING I can FIND for Dusk.... but today, as I sort my zips to have a major installing session(s), my folder with zips for Dusk clothes is pathetic! :cry: Two of the zips are characters.... sigh sigh...sigh..

This makes me wonder - wouldn't that make my Dusk outfits sell even more? That's what I was counting on when I made them, in spite of people telling me they wouldn't sell anyway. You know, things should sell better when there is a known lack of them in the market, but this seems to be an exception. It's an odd thing - there seems to be a demand, but they don't sell. Can't say I haven't tried, though - no matter what people told me about it. I wanted to see this for myself, and now I did.

Hornet3d

Wise
This makes me wonder - wouldn't that make my Dusk outfits sell even more? That's what I was counting on when I made them, in spite of people telling me they wouldn't sell anyway. You know, things should sell better when there is a known lack of them in the market, but this seems to be an exception. It's an odd thing - there seems to be a demand, but they don't sell. Can't say I haven't tried, though - no matter what people told me about it. I wanted to see this for myself, and now I did.

Whether it sells I think depends on the wider availability of clothing than the efforts of one vendor, no matter how good, at least it is for me. I tend to have a trend in my renders so unless I can see there is enough outfits to continue a trend or story then I will not use the figure. Once there are enough I will buy but not the odd outfit but a series of outfits.

I struggle enough with Dawn but there are enough multi part outfits that I can mix and match and, added to what is also available I can keep a story going. That despite the fact that I only ever purchase from Hivewire as far as Dawn is concerned. I know there will never be the same number of outfits for Dusk but a few covering Victorian, modern day and future would be useful. As far as Dusk is concerned there is almost enough modern day in store for me to work with but not enough variety otherwise.

eclark1894

Visionary

Where ARE your Dusk outfits, Ken? I didn't know you even had any. Can't buy what you don't know about, which, incidentally, was the catalyst for me creating my directory.