• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Why doesn't Male clothign sell better?

eclark1894

Visionary
We may not need 27 different jeans for Dusk, though we need some. But, we also need cords, dockers, jogger/sweat/active pants ... as well as all those different types of dressy pants.

We also need zoot suits :wink:

There there are the bazillion different types of shorts. As well as casual shirts, dress shirts, t-shirts, polo shirts, tank tops ... and so on.

Men may not have the vast variety of clothing that women have. But they really aren't limited to a few pairs of jeans and shirts.

I've always hated that I could pull together just about any type of outfit for my females, but put a man in the scene ... and um ... yeah. The poor guy just has nothing to wear that looks right with what she's wearing.

Edit: Changed time to type. Silly fingers.
Well, it 's definitely easier to match her to what he's wearing than him to her.

poolhall.png

eclark1894

Visionary
There is one other thing to consider about why there's less male clothing on the market. Simple fact is, the female figures are released first. Sometimes as much as one to two years before their male counterparts. And it's not just clothing. More character sets are released for females, more morphs, make up, Props specifically made for females, poses, and animations and hair, Many of the hair figures and props that the male figures are wearing were actually made for females first.

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
I think he also has one thing Dusk needs desperately and that's a decent pair of tennis shoes. The cheongsam jacket and pants I'm making for Dusk come with a pair of loafers.

I guess then, there's something wrong with the free pair of tennis shoes in my store? Workout Set for Dusk - Poser - A Glitterati3D Creation at HiveWire 3D

And, GQ Male comes with a pair of loafers.

I'm sorry, but this is why there's any debate about men's 3D selling less - because this perpetual myth gets repeated and repeated and repeated despite the facts.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I'm sorry, but this is why there's any debate about men's 3D selling less - because this perpetual myth gets repeated and repeated and repeated despite the facts.

There doesn't seem to a myth on the rather low sales on the Dusk outfits I have created so far, even when I advertised how versatile they can be. Of course, the 'low sales' are in comparison with the female outfits sales. But I must admit it wasn't always like this. Back in 2004 at Rendo, I used to sell male and female outfits in equal amounts. The preference for female outfits seems to be more recent.

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
Well, let's look at the market a little. Because, quite frankly, the customers are going to have to make up their minds.

Everyone says, oh, I have a huge investment in M4 and I'm not buying all new again......I'll just convert what I have. So, do we take them at their word or create new stuff only to have it sit in a store with no sales?

Let's take Willy's Polo Shirt as a classic example. I bought the M4 Polo Shirt at RDNA on sale for $2.50 (M4 Polo was a Real Deal) years ago. So, which is it...convert the M4 Polo to Dusk for no investment or spend $9.95 for Willy's?

DuskM4Polo.jpg

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
That's a valid argument - but then people can also convert outfits for female figures as well? I am not saying they don't, but that doesn't seem to be affecting my sales. At least not in the same amount as it does for male outfits.

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
That's a valid argument - but then people can also convert outfits for female figures as well? I am not saying they don't, but that doesn't seem to be affecting my sales. At least not in the same amount as it does for male outfits.

Because women's clothes are far harder to convert, with all those boobs and stuff. Dawn's Cup Size E isn't available in a converted outfit.

James R.

Busy Bee
Alright... so there is obviously a huge disparity in what's available for female figures versus male figures, as I posted earlier in this thread.

Are content creators are giving the people what they want? Are content creators following the money and creating what sells?

Because there is an enormous difference in what's available for women figures versus what's available for men.

Has a "self-fulfilling prophecy" been created by the notion the "all that sells is women's clothing"? Is this kind of what you meant, Traci?

Screen Shot 2017-10-25 at 3.39.32 PM.png Screen Shot 2017-10-27 at 10.26.43 AM.png

DAZ's site (left) lets you sort by figure from the main store page, though the list possibly includes items that aren't clothing (props, etc.).
For Rendo's site (right) I entered "clothing" into the search field and clicked the dropdown under "Figure". And I should say that the Rendo results reflect Poser only.