• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

When I am not in my Poser world.

Hornet3d

Wise
My posting of renders has become sporadic of late as other projects have reduced my play time. This time around it was the back garden and, while it is a pokey little garden, I felt it did have the potential to provide a place to chill out now both my wife and I have retired.

So the project is nearly at the end with all the hard work done and just the much easier task of doing a little extra planting. The summer house was provided almost flat packed and built and modified by me. The old rickety fence was replaced, not by me as my last efforts were not exactly straight or level. The raised flower beds are new but otherwise the changes were made to try and make best use of the parts of the garden that have matured.

Compilation HW.jpg

At least I now have a place to chill and try and get my mind onto the creation of some new, and hopefully better, 3D art.

Hornet3d

Wise
WOW, nicely done Hornet. In fact, I like that bottom left photo so much, I wouldn't mind having a 3D set like that. :D

Thank you for the comment, it was hard work and there was so much planning and changing as it progressed. Even the washing presented a problem because the rotary line we used dominated the garden where ever it was put and it seemed a shame to spend so much on the garden only to look out on washing a couple of times each week. In the end we abandoned the rotary line and added a twin retractable unit that runs from the house ot either side of the shed door. At least that way the washing is off to the side and hardly viable from inside the summer house.

Hornet3d

Wise
When I first saw it, I thought he meant that it was a 3D representation of his garden. As I read on, I wondered WHY it wasn't a 3D representation of his garden.

Well that would have been cheaper and a lot less work but I am afraid my skills, while not good working with real wood, is very much non existent in the Poser realm.

LisaB

HW3D Vice President & Queen Bee
Staff member
Co-Founder
Wonderful! What a beautiful garden! Thanks for sharing your work and your photos.

carmen indorato

Extraordinary
it looks nice. my sister re did her large yard. new patio and wood fencing and landscaping with all new furniture with bushes and trees. now, because of the bugs and ravenous mosquitos never goes out there. heck even her grand kids prefer staying in the house. for me spending what she did was a waste of cash maybe if it was a labor of love where she did all the work herself I could subscribe to the notion. but to pay others to do it and never use it after......???? No! But hey, it looks pretty!

Hornet3d

Wise
it looks nice. my sister re did her large yard. new patio and wood fencing and landscaping with all new furniture with bushes and trees. now, because of the bugs and ravenous mosquitos never goes out there. heck even her grand kids prefer staying in the house. for me spending what she did was a waste of cash maybe if it was a labor of love where she did all the work herself I could subscribe to the notion. but to pay others to do it and never use it after......???? No! But hey, it looks pretty!

The reason for the summer house is both my wife and I love just chilling out in the garden but my wife has a phobia of wasps and the like, one minute you are sat quite and then she is like a greyhound out of a trap. We had something marketed as an igloo for the last few years, a sort of half dome covered in thick plastic sheeting. It solved the problem with the wasps but boy did it get hot in the summer months. The summer house replaces the igloo and seems a better prospect (it has both heating and air con) but then it is early days. Since it was finished a few weeks ago we have used it on a daily basis and as we sit there we gaze out on the garden and the garden is built with that in mind. Accordingly the best view of the garden is from inside, in fact most of our ideas come while in the summer house. In the last few days I have cleaned out the pond and got the waterfall running it is close enough to summer house that we can both see and hear it inside, even with the doors shut.

I understand your point of view and I agree it seems a waste to spend a lot on the garden if you cannot use it for one reason or another. Happily, with the exception of the fence, I did all the labouring myself and the fence was falling down so had to be changed anyway. The other reason for the change is that, while retiring is great, maintaining the garden gets harder as you get older so the garden is planned with that in mind. Most of the plants are evergreens and slow growing, heathers provide colour for long periods during the year but almost look after themselves. I also laid out a couple of layers of membrane under the flower beds to reduce weeds. The only fast growing plants are the ground cover type and they also tend to choke the weeds. Again it is very early days but our hope is we will get a lot of enjoyment from it but it will be easy to maintain, even in our old/older age.

eclark1894

Visionary
When I was a kid, children outside was a normal thing to see. Now... you're lucky if you see kids outside. Between smartphones and AC, I don't doubt the grandkids never go out there.

Hornet3d

Wise
When I was a kid, children outside was a normal thing to see. Now... you're lucky if you see kids outside. Between smartphones and AC, I don't doubt the grandkids never go out there.

Walking the dog around this area we have noticed half a dozen playgrounds in and around the local estates. We recently joined a walking group in another part of our town and during the walks we have discover another half dozen, but the point is they are almost always empty. On the rare occasion we see someone in them the kids are usually sat on the equipment staring into their phones but maybe that is how they have been brought up. A regular sight on the walks is young men and women pushing a buggy, sometimes with another youngster hanging on to the side, and their parents have their heads buried looking at the phone sometimes with head phones on as well. In my day there was the saying 'children should be seen and not heard', seems these days they are not even seen.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
On the rare occasion we see someone in them the kids are usually sat on the equipment staring into their phones but maybe that is how they have been brought up. A regular sight on the walks is young men and women pushing a buggy, sometimes with another youngster hanging on to the side, and their parents have their heads buried looking at the phone sometimes with head phones on as well. In my day there was the saying 'children should be seen and not heard', seems these days they are not even seen.
I can't tell you how many times I've had to practically walk into someone whose head is buried into her/his cellphone in order to get them to realize they're a hazard on the sidewalks.

That said, I see it at the gym all the time, and unless I'm working out with my trainer, who will politely ask them if they're finished, as his client needs to work out on the specific machine they're sitting on, I need to wait until they're ready to get off, and go hog another machine. ~sheesh~

pommerlis

Noteworthy
Contributing Artist
What a gorgeous garden! I love the sight lines you created, if does give the garden volume in a way. Like you don't know what is around that corner or beyond that bush. That summer house looks very comfortable, you can use that all seasons.
Well done Hornet! When is the BBQ?! LOL

Hornet3d

Wise
What a gorgeous garden! I love the sight lines you created, if does give the garden volume in a way. Like you don't know what is around that corner or beyond that bush. That summer house looks very comfortable, you can use that all seasons.
Well done Hornet! When is the BBQ?! LOL

Not sure on the BBQ, knowing my skills I am just as likely to burn the food and burn down the summer house as well.

Hornet3d

Wise
Well almost a month on from when I started this thread there has been a little progress. The ground cover plants are now starting to grow as are the heathers. The pond has had a make over and the waterfall is now working and some plants added in this part of the garden but it is still a WIP. Water in the pond is now beginning to clear after all the changes, although is is not as dark as it looks in these photos.

Progess HW.jpg

Last edited: