• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

What is so special about Genesis?

tparo

Engaged
QAV-BEE
DS and Genesis also have autofollow, the clothing will follow any morph the figure has as best it can Dawn doesn't have this ability. For example clothing created for G3F or M will autofollow and fit a child or the toon generations figures whereas Diva cannot wear Dawns clothes without fiddling and fixes problems.
To be honest you are possible better off asking this question at Daz's forum as there you will get more in depth and technical answers from people who understand and use the Genesis figures.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
So does Dawn...if you dial in Willow for example it will automatically morph and follow. It will autofollow with most morphs except for extreme morphs like Diva. Extreme morphs for any figure tend to require more work. This will occur unless custom morphs are made. That occurs with the genesis figures to a certain extent as well. What makes the difference with genesis 2 & 3 imho is the quality of the templates. If you compare the templates between genesis and genesis 2 thetemplates for 2 are higher poly each generation. With the improved templates came less distortion. If you think back to the original genesis that was one of the complaints about auto follow.
Good clothing creators create custom morphs which replace what would be created by autofollow.

Bonnie2001

Extraordinary
Well Playstation 4 main characters can have much higher poly count. Frinstance:

The Order 1886 has 100,000 polys per character.
Infamous 2nd Son has 120,000 polys per character.
Final Fantasy 15 has 100,000 polys per character, plus 20,000 for the hair.

For Unity games the average is 6-10k per character.

Well Playstation 4 main characters can have much higher poly count. Frinstance:

The Order 1886 has 100,000 polys per character.
Infamous 2nd Son has 120,000 polys per character.
Final Fantasy 15 has 100,000 polys per character, plus 20,000 for the hair.

For Unity games the average is 6-10k per character.

I've done some renders of Genesis 3 Female at render subdivision level 5 which is several million polys. I have to see what the closest equivalent is for Dawn, ss I don't think DAZ Studio will allow that for her higher poly count.

Bonnie2001

Extraordinary
I've done that too, rendered them from Poser thru Octane. Poser didn't like the high count too much, but it rendered fine in Octane. Faster too.

kobaltkween

Brilliant
Contributing Artist
Realism and fitting. If you go to dA, you see _tons_ of very realistic renders using Genesis and Iray. Oh, and the stylized aspect of the Genesis figures is about the same as the stylized aspect of certain types of game characters. As is true of most DAZ products. So DAZ products have "quality" and "realism" in line with already very well established and publicized standards.

I find the (IMHO) vast difference in style between both the gallery and the store here and content community galleries and stores elsewhere very interesting. For instance, you look at CRWR's work. It's totally different than that Halo/Final Fantasy/Last of Us aesthetic that almost all of DAZ's content has. Her morphs and textures aren't any less realistic, but it has a very different style.

tparo

Engaged
QAV-BEE
So does Dawn...if you dial in Willow for example it will automatically morph and follow. It will autofollow with most morphs except for extreme morphs like Diva. Extreme morphs for any figure tend to require more work. This will occur unless custom morphs are made. That occurs with the genesis figures to a certain extent as well. ...
Good clothing creators create custom morphs which replace what would be created by autofollow.

Sorry but that is not what I have found, items have to have morphs built in or they don't follow, custom morphs are better but they are not necessary especially if using something like the growing up morphs etc whereas I find with Diva nothing fits at all which is such a shame but the reason I don't use her more.

tparo

Engaged
QAV-BEE
Realism and fitting. If you go to dA, you see _tons_ of very realistic renders using Genesis and Iray. Oh, and the stylized aspect of the Genesis figures is about the same as the stylized aspect of certain types of game characters. As is true of most DAZ products. So DAZ products have "quality" and "realism" in line with already very well established and publicized standards.

I find the (IMHO) vast difference in style between both the gallery and the store here and content community galleries and stores elsewhere very interesting. For instance, you look at CRWR's work. It's totally different than that Halo/Final Fantasy/Last of Us aesthetic that almost all of DAZ's content has. Her morphs and textures aren't any less realistic, but it has a very different style.

Sorry I disagree Daz content spans a vast array of styles as do the morphs for the Genesis Figures. And the different styles of are that I have seen produced using content also varies dramatically.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
DS and Genesis also have autofollow, the clothing will follow any morph the figure has as best it can Dawn doesn't have this ability.

Sorry but that is not what I have found, items have to have morphs built in or they don't follow, custom morphs are better but they are not necessary especially if using something like the growing up morphs etc whereas I find with Diva nothing fits at all which is such a shame but the reason I don't use her more.
Firstly, I'm sorry you have Diva and she is of no use to you, but I believe that what you are talking about is a number of factors not autofollow.

the clothing will follow any morph the figure has as best it can Dawn doesn't have this ability

Dawn does do this. That is how in the render below that the dress still fits Dawn with Willow applied despite no custom morph. Is it perfect...no it isn't but autofollow did work as best it can with no smoothing applied.

simplicity dress.jpg

For example clothing created for G3F or M will autofollow and fit a child or the toon generations figures whereas Diva cannot wear Dawns clothes without fiddling and fixes problems.
Most daz clothing automatically, at default, has smoothing modifiers applied. Much of the clothing that is created for Dawn doesn't have this. Here is a render of Diva in the same dress...the only work was to apply a smoothing modifier and adjust it.
simplicity dress diva.jpg

How well a mesh works in autofollow has many variables. The most important in my opinion is how the mesh was constructed and also how it was weightmapped. If you own Blondies rigging tutorial you can verify what I'm saying as she has a section in it where she discusses this.

Will every mesh work with autofollow? No but most will.

Does Dawn have autofollow...yes she does.

To be honest you are possible better off asking this question at Daz's forum as there you will get more in depth and technical answers from people who understand and use the Genesis figures.
I certainly would not consider myself an expert but I do use Genesis and Genesis 3 and do have the right to an opinion even if it doesn't match yours. I found this comment offensive.

CG Cubed

Technical Director
Staff member
HW3D Exclusive Artist
In an effort to keep this civil, and on topic, a little info... I was part of the team that created the initial Genesis platform.
We will do our best to answer technical questions regarding Dawn, Dusk, Luna, and any other figures that use Daz Studio. You are more than welcome to ask here, or at Daz for help. I do not think the intent was to offend, but rather to guide. Genesis is after all, a Daz product. I will caution though, that users are not always the best source for tech questions. Usability and functions, yes. Creators and developers will be a better resource for those things under the hood.

While Genesis is a platform, many of the features are Studio specific. This is how HiveWire figures can make use of the same technology. Auto fit and auto follow are functions of Studio that were created for the Genesis platform. Auto following of morphs will happen with any triax or general weight mapped figure, and clothing fit to that figure, in Daz Studio. The better the clothing fit, and mesh design, the better the auto follow of morphs.

Auto-fit was created for the user and uses the same algorithm in the transfer utility. It utilizes projection templates and clones. Clones are easy for Genesis, since DAZ owns the other figures. Dawn does have clones for Baby Luna and Dusk. You may try using the Luna clone to get a better fit for Diva. You can also create your own personal clone of other figures for the HW3D figures, which will give better fits.

The Transfer utility is far better to use when fitting clothing. You can control the amount of projection which will give you better morph results. You could also create a personal clone of Diva for Dawn or any other HW3D figure you want to share clothing with.

All of this said, Dawn does and can make use of the same technology in Genesis 1 & 2. Genesis 3 and 8 use dual quaternian weight mapping which is an industry standard for most pro 3d software. IE, maya, 3ds max, modo...But they still make use of auto follow and fit.

Lastly, regarding clones, remember for personal use only, unless you get the original figure creators written permission to distribute them.

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
Thanks, Paul! Great input :). And I'm sure you're right that there was no intent to offend. We are very fortunate here to have skilled DS users like Pendraia & Tparo, who can share their knowledge and experiences with the community here.

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Genesis sounds so futuristic, so advanced. In reality it's not *that* special. I've been promoting HiveWire on Facebook and needed to know what to say. It's obvious to everyone that the Cat is far superior to DAZ's big cat. Someone even posted an image with the two DAZ big cats and the HiveWire cat with the comment, "Progress". But convincing people to give Dawn a try is something I'm unfamiliar with. Now I know.

CG Cubed

Technical Director
Staff member
HW3D Exclusive Artist
We like to think of Dawn, Dusk , and the rest of the HiveWire line up, as more tools/ toys for you to use to expand your creativity. We see them as more choices, not replacements.

Genesis 1 was the technology push that helped to spawn great tools for creators. While the DSON converter was not what many Poser users hoped for, Dawn is proof that Genesis 1 & 2 can be converted to a native Poser weight mapped format.

ArtisanS

Contributing Artist
What I like about the Genesis mesh is the vast variety of forms you can create with them and the huge set of morphs that accompany them (if you sink enough greenbacks into the morph department). The different of the shelf characters are cool (I own about 30 G3 characters both male and female). The huge collection of hairstyles, the vast amount of clothing (except for warm winterclothes of the TheNorthFace sporty variety) wich are not seam te be present (except a open posed variety that didn't cut it for me) and about 4 sites that cater for al of Vicky's and Micheal's needs.

The 2 year regeneration cycle I love and hate, it creates commercial oppertunities for PA's but it also creates a lot of problems. T pose or A pose, tri-axis weight mapping, or no tri-axis weight mapping, and when do you have enough JCM's customized to support most morphs (and what is most, OMG).

Greets, Artisan S

eclark1894

Visionary
You know one of the things I've never liked about DAZ figures is the character morphs. Maybe it's just me, but I usually can't tell one from another unless the skin tone or racial features of the face change. They all tend to look alike to me. I can't say that about Dawn. Maybe it's because there aren't as many character morphs for her yet.

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
All just going to show how it's good to have different figures - some appeal to some people, others to other people!

You know one of the things I've never liked about DAZ figures is the character morphs. Maybe it's just me, but I usually can't tell one from another unless the skin tone or racial features of the face change. They all tend to look alike to me. I can't say that about Dawn. Maybe it's because there aren't as many character morphs for her yet.

I see this as a common complaint from some folks over on the DAZ3D forums, but personally don't have a problem telling them apart, but understand that some folks could. Just like some folks over there complain that they don't look old or whatever the chosen problem with a character is.

All just going to show how it's good to have different figures - some appeal to some people, others to other people!

Yes, I agree.

Bonnie2001

Extraordinary
You know one of the things I've never liked about DAZ figures is the character morphs. Maybe it's just me, but I usually can't tell one from another unless the skin tone or racial features of the face change..

It stands to reason that textures alone will make a huge difference, even with the same character morph.