• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

What I worked on today

Bonnie2001

Extraordinary
I made the laces last night, but Poser crashed during the render and it was like 3am and I gave up as I needed to sleep. I will post renders of the finished boot tonight.

Bonnie2001

Extraordinary
Thanks everyone. I'm almost done, just need to tighten the laces a bit. Would you believe yesterday I spent three hours on the laces alone! I woke up an hour ago and it's now 5am and I'm doing some renders and eating chocolate crocodiles (chocodiles!) I found in the fridge.

Anyway I used a different leather alpha for the texture and I changed the lace eyelets and pull tab, also added ribbing to the sole. The texture for the laces and the stitches is just a pores alpha, which I think I like but I might change.
Things to do, I still need to add a logo to the pull tab, but I can't call them Doc Martens even though they are based on white ladies Docs. I will very likely make the laces a bit thicker and loosen up the pull tab so it doesn't look so stiff.
If I was to be really fussy I should texture the inside of the boot and the edges of the leather parts differently, but here is my progress for now.

boot8.jpg

boot9.jpg

boot10.jpg

boot11.jpg

boot12.jpg

A closer shot of the laces and stitches below. BTW, all of this was made in ZBrush starting with a cube primitive for the shoe body and sole, Insert Mesh brushes for the laces and one for the lace holes both of which I made myself.
A tip for fellow ZBrushers: I've found that if I add the stitches as separate geometry instead of sculpting them, it means I can keep them separate on the UV map which makes it much much easier to add and make changes to materials and textures.

boot13.jpg

Back to bed for the last hours before school :sleep::sleep:

Lyne

Distinguished
HW Honey Bear
I'm late to this thread... you're making a character for Dawn? She is really interesting!

and those boots, WOW! Fantastic modeling! If they are for poser, I'm there! :)

Hornet3d

Wise
Stunning work, I can't believe that you spent three hours on the laces alone, or shall I say I can't believe you spent ONLY three hours on the laces. Love them and the way they are tied up, really great work,

3WC

Engaged
Contributing Artist
Love the boots. Nice laces, but there is something funny on the right side, are the laces supposed to both enter and exit the eyelets on the top?

Bonnie2001

Extraordinary
.....are the laces supposed to both enter and exit the eyelets on the top?

Thanks for pointing that out. One stretch of the top part of the lace should be behind the two top holes, same at the bottom and on all the left side holes. I'll fix that later when I'm making the laces thicker.
White wasn't a clever idea for showing off the boot. I'll render the final pics with a red or pink or even brown or black leather texture so the boot stands out better from the background.

Last edited:

Bonnie2001

Extraordinary
.....I can't believe that you spent three hours on the laces alone, or shall I say I can't believe you spent ONLY three hours on the laces.....

Thanks but if I'd spent a bit longer on them I wouldn't have tied them up wrong (see 3wComics and my previous posts above). But not to worry, I will fix it later. Right now I have to get back to school.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Very nice...I have been too busy reinstalling DS to play much with ZBrush but I'm looking forward to seeing how much I can do with the new computer.

Bonnie2001

Extraordinary
I'd love a new computer too. My current one is able to cope with anything I throw at it, but I'd still love a new one just because new is usually better. ;)

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Oh I'm envious Pen. I so want a new computer. Hopefully this year.

I'd love a new computer too. My current one is able to cope with anything I throw at it, but I'd still love a new one just because new is usually better. ;)
My old one was starting to give up the ghost. My new one is a top of the line i7 processor, GTX1080 with 8gb ram, 32 gb RAM with the option to double that down the track...the main disadvantage is I now have Win10 which I'm not keen on. I'm looking into Nas storage as one of my hard drives is on a go slow, most likely due to errors...my computer guy is trying to save as much off it as possible.