• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Using the advanced materials tab in Poser

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
There are 2 steps to a normal map setup....loading the texture as usual, using Gradient Bump and setting the value

But then also setting the Gradient Mode to Normal Map Tangent Space
NormalMap.jpg

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Thanks Traci...I'm reading this in bed but will give it a try first thing. Is there any way to select for example just the lips, face and ears?

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
Thanks Traci...I'm reading this in bed but will give it a try first thing. Is there any way to select for example just the lips, face and ears?

No, sorry, afraid not, but......

Following the first image, you can use Right Click on Poser Surface>Select All, Copy and then Paste all the settings to other, individual parts after selecting those parts from the dropdown.

Lissa_xyz

I break polygons.
@Glitterati3D Everytime I've used the method to copy to all it would only copy the nodes, not actually connect them, so I'd have to go into every matzone anyways to get them connected. Was this not how that was supposed to be working, or does this method only work when applying the PoserSurface as a whole to all bits?

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Hey Vask, I use the copy/paste method when they're going to be the same for each mat zone, but when I get to the mat zones where I'm pasting, I make sure to select PoserSurface and then paste. That will "delete" the blank PoserSurface and "replace" it with the set up nodes in it's place.

If there are nodes already set up in the other mat zones you want to replace, then click the PoserSurface and all the attached nodes before deleting, and then replace with the copied setup.

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
@Glitterati3D Everytime I've used the method to copy to all it would only copy the nodes, not actually connect them, so I'd have to go into every matzone anyways to get them connected. Was this not how that was supposed to be working, or does this method only work when applying the PoserSurface as a whole to all bits?

No, it works fine for me......the nodes are connected.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Interesting conversation and obviously something I need to play with...just waking up here but I'll give it a go when I'm more awake.

Lissa_xyz

I break polygons.
Whoops, sorry, that one skipped my mind for some reason. Normals get set to a gamma of 1 as they don't contribute to the actual colour of the textures (at least that's how I've come to understand the reasoning behind it).

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
One more question is there any way to select more than one area at a time so you can do the one map at the same time?

Are you using P11 or an earlier version. Since you are working on materials for Diva (at least I assume you are) you can use EZskin3 in Poser 11 to do a lot on groups like Skin, Nails, Eyes, etc. If you are in an earlier version of Poser you'd want to use EZSkin2.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Thanks Vaskania...

@Gadget Girl, I'm using 2014 Pro. I can't use EZskin3 but I do intend to have a look at EZskin 2 just haven't got around it yet. Yes...I'm working on Diva.

I discovered a neat trick though...once I have applied one of Diva's maps, then on the next one if I click on the name of the map instead of browse it gives me a list of images. If I apply Diva's image that I've already applied and then hit browse it takes me straight to my texture folder

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Yes..it is I've used that trick in ds for years I was really pleased to see I could use it in poser.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Whoops, sorry, that one skipped my mind for some reason. Normals get set to a gamma of 1 as they don't contribute to the actual colour of the textures (at least that's how I've come to understand the reasoning behind it).
Which of the options on gamma should be checked custom gamma or render settings?