• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Todays Weather where you live?

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Yes, the Subways always get the worst of flash flooding. Luckly I don't take the Subway more than about 2 or 3 times a year. Most of where I need to be is within walking distance, or a short Bus ride. I'm just afraid walking in the streets is going to be a chore if we got that much rain that couldn't be drained off . . . yet.

eclark1894

Visionary
Yes, the Subways always get the worst of flash flooding. Luckly I don't take the Subway more than about 2 or 3 times a year. Most of where I need to be is within walking distance, or a short Bus ride. I'm just afraid walking in the streets is going to be a chore if we got that much rain that couldn't be drained off . . . yet.
It's hard for me to imagine NYC getting flooded. Of course, it's been some twenty years since I've been there (about a year or two before the twin towers fell), but aside from the fact that NYC is basically on an island, the one thing I remember is all those damn hills. Hills everywhere. Or maybe that was just Brooklyn.

Miss B

CV-BEE
No there are hills in other boroughs/counties as well, as New York City is actually comprised of 5 boroughs/counties. Those of us who live here, refer to New York County, also known as Manhattan, as the "City", which IS an island. So is Richmond County for that matter, also known as Staten Island.

eclark1894

Visionary
No there are hills in other boroughs/counties as well, as New York City is actually comprised of 5 boroughs/counties. Those of us who live here, refer to New York County, also known as Manhattan, as the "City", which IS an island. So is Richmond County for that matter, also known as Staten Island.
Well, like I said, maybe that was just Brooklyn.

Miss B

CV-BEE
I'm just afraid walking in the streets is going to be a chore if we got that much rain that couldn't be drained off . . . yet.
Well, as it turned out, there were only about 2 corners where there were large puddles. In fact, one corner that's been bad from a heavy rain a couple of weeks ago, is now dry as a bone. It poured major rain over night, but yesterday streets were pretty clear, and that was a huge surprise to me. A happy surprise, but definitely unexpected. :D I guess all the high winds blew the rain puddles away. :rolleyes:

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Most of Vine Street Expressway is still shut down after "historic Philly flooding." It's now the Vine Street Canal instead of the Vine Street Expressway. I thought it was a wee bit shortsighted when a news anchor stated this was flooding on a scale never seen before and "never to be seen again." Seriously? Perhaps never before. But given these types of storms and flooding are increasingly common, we most definitely will see "historic" flooding again. We had FOUR tornados from one storm just last month, and SEVEN with Ida. That's almost doubled the number of tornados since 1950.

Scary times we live in. Perhaps, Mother Nature has decided it's past time to remove the most destructive pest on earth.

1630686950794.png

1630686980932.png

1630686868444.png

1630687068814.png

1630687124861.png

Miss B

CV-BEE
That's horrific Satira. I haven't see anything like that here, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist, just not in my neighborhood.

I'm glad I'm retired and don't have to drive, or take an Express Bus, into the City anymore, because trying to get onto a bridge would be a total mess. I'm quite sure the Midtown and Lincoln Tunnels are closed.

eclark1894

Visionary
Most of Vine Street Expressway is still shut down after "historic Philly flooding." It's now the Vine Street Canal instead of the Vine Street Expressway. I thought it was a wee bit shortsighted when a news anchor stated this was flooding on a scale never seen before and "never to be seen again." Seriously? Perhaps never before. But given these types of storms and flooding are increasingly common, we most definitely will see "historic" flooding again. We had FOUR tornados from one storm just last month, and SEVEN with Ida. That's almost doubled the number of tornados since 1950.

Scary times we live in. Perhaps, Mother Nature has decided it's past time to remove the most destructive pest on earth.

View attachment 70905

View attachment 70906

View attachment 70904

View attachment 70907

View attachment 70908
Actually, that was a bit crazy to make a statement like that, but to be fair, and NOT trying to start a political debate, Mother Nature may not be entirely at fault here. Sure, it's natural to blame the flooding on Storms and rain, but it may be as simple as poor planning from the people who build the highways and such. When they lay new asphalt and cement down, water that once got soaked into the land, they created more run offs that flowed into small streams and creeks that were never intended to drain off that much water, or they created bottlenecks for water that once WOULD have flowed away, except for trash and debris that fell into waterways, or smaller than needed pipes to direct the flow of water. I've been watching this YouTube channel called Post Ten. He goes out when it rains and clears flooded streets. In almost everycase he's shown so far, it leaves, trash and debris that has caused the water to back up and flood roads, caused ponds and lakes to rise, etc. Water that is blocked because some genius downtown could be bothered to find a more effective or cheaper method to stop the trash and debris from clogging drains.

eclark1894

Visionary
Of course Mother Nature is not at fault. The most destructive pest the earth has ever known is completely to blame.
There are a lot of destructive pests on earth. Amazingly enough, all created by Mother Nature. :sneaky: Still, the point I was making was that no one single cause may be responsible for the flood. Case in point, the fire out in California. Most people associate forests fires with someone being careless with a match. Could also be a drought. Or even the opposite, a lightning strike. Over grown brush or dead leaves. etc. A flood, has been known to be started by something as innocuous as a beaver dam. Or as I mentioned leaves or dead tree limbs blocking a drainage ditch or a river, creek, or stream. I've seen those last two, by the way.

unreal

Noteworthy
There are a lot of destructive pests on earth. Amazingly enough, all created by Mother Nature. :sneaky: Still, the point I was making was that no one single cause may be responsible for the flood. Case in point, the fire out in California. Most people associate forests fires with someone being careless with a match. Could also be a drought. Or even the opposite, a lightning strike. Over grown brush or dead leaves. etc. A flood, has been known to be started by something as innocuous as a beaver dam. Or as I mentioned leaves or dead tree limbs blocking a drainage ditch or a river, creek, or stream. I've seen those last two, by the way.
Disasters are *never* single things. (I say this as an engineer where failure mode analysis was part of the job)

Disasters are where a whole bunch of things go wrong in a negatively reinforcing way.

The other fun thing is "we don't want a single point of failure". Actually we do. We want everything to fail such that it comes down to a single place. Because then we know where to put the safety net :)

What we don't want is a situation where our safety net fails. This is why we use a safety factor in calculations. aka: ignorance factor. The more we know, the lower it can be. And the more expensive it becomes. Military vs commercial planes is a good example. Generally, you want it low to push performance higher, while still maintaining the same risk. That costs.

A text book example of this is the Titanic. The real problem was, the safety net was insufficient. If any of the contributing factors to the disaster happened even slightly differently, the disaster would not have happened. If the average speed of the ship had been a very tiny fraction of a percent higher or lower, it would not have happened. If they had left port even a few seconds earlier or later. If the water currents had been even slightly different over a span of months, the iceberg wouldn't have been in that exact spot. If the bulkheads had been welded slightly differently. Etc., etc.

Resiliency is something else.

But, back on thread: Warm. Bordering hot (in the sun). Alternating with cool, bordering on cold. Sometimes alternating between extremes in under an hour. 10º drop in 15 minutes, one day this week. Winds from zero to hurricane. Rain from drenching (rarely) to cloudless. Spring in Sydney :D

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
We were having a couple of days of 90-degree weather, and then caught the edge of a tropical storm moving north from Baja 2-3 days ago. Got a couple of rather enthusiastic showers from it for a couple of hours. Had a couple of hours of thunder and lightning, and then it was past. Sunny the following day, and now we've had another overcast roll in.

unreal

Noteworthy
We were having a couple of days of 90-degree weather, and then caught the edge of a tropical storm moving north from Baja 2-3 days ago. Got a couple of rather enthusiastic showers from it for a couple of hours. Had a couple of hours of thunder and lightning, and then it was past. Sunny the following day, and now we've had another overcast roll in.
Southern cali? Sounds crazy warm. Is that hot for this time of the year? I lived in SF for a decade but there's no seasons there, as such (16ºC most of the year). Heat came from vents or fireplace :)

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
Los Angeles's hottest months are typically July through September. But it sometimes slops over into October as well.

The weather predictions are for temperatures in the 70s with a couple of days breaking 80 over the next week. That's not out of line for this time of year. But it ought to be getting fewer days at 90 for a good long stretch this late in the year.

Can never say for certain. We've occasionally had Santa Ana conditions that had it in the 90s at Christmas.

Hornet3d

Wise
Long range forecasts for the UK are suggesting this could be a cold winter for us this year. With multiple power supply companies going bust each week and the cost of gas, electric and petrol all sky rocketing it looks as though this winter could be bleak.

Terre

Renowned
We've had so many mild winters in a row now that I don't know what some people will do here if we finally get a hard one. Even when winter storm Goliath hit this area hard it was the only serious weather of that entire winter. We'll see what happens.

unreal

Noteworthy
We've had so many mild winters in a row now that I don't know what some people will do here if we finally get a hard one. Even when winter storm Goliath hit this area hard it was the only serious weather of that entire winter. We'll see what happens.
I'm sure that the media-infotainment complex will "the sky is falling" until they need some other drama to generate clicks.

At least with earthquakes, there's no hype before hand :)