• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Todays Weather where you live?

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
We didn't have any thunder and/or lightning here in the City, but we had it bad yesterday and Tuesday. In fact, the thunder lasted for only about 20 minutes last night, but it poured for a good hour afterwards. It was sunny here until around 7:00pm today, when it usually gets dark. The days are really getting shorter.

Hornet3d

Wise
The forecast was for an overcast but dry day for my part of the UK which of course meant it rained heavily for a hour or so around mid day.

DanaTA

Distinguished
I'm surprised, Miss B! We didn't get that storm. I guess it went either straight north or out to sea eastward. Hot, today, though, and high humidity! Last time I checked it was up to 90F and feels like was 99F. It was hotter every time I checked, but that was the last time I checked, I think. Still 73F at almost 11:00 pm!

Dana

Miss B

CV-BEE
It supposedly got up to 97F here today, feeling like 101F. I haven't been spending much time outdoors the past few days, and tomorrow's forecast isn't looking good either. :(

Terre

Renowned
Speaking of the effect of rain.... I'm really glad I don't work in receiving. Our dock is one of those dugout ones where the semi backs down a slope and the trailer inside lines up with the floor level of the store. This results in a puddle that can be there for quite a few days. This morning frog had taken up residence there. He was in no danger of being flattened because he was in the deep part right by the dock. His croaking would have driven me nuts to have to listen to all day.

McGyver

Energetic
A tad bit humid, 85°F/29°C… alternating between sunny and cloudy, depending on where you face… South of the South Shore an ocean breeze moves inland as the fishing boats start to come home.

6FF75682-DD34-42CD-9962-B145F1CF62CB.jpeg

They come through the Shinnecock inlet on their way back to unload their catch and set up for another day.
Each year there are fewer of these vessels.
On the way home I heard Billy Joel’s “The Downeaster Alexa”, the story of a fishing boat from nearby Gardiner’s Bay, and it’s lyrics fit with this picture, so I figured I’d share this image.
Also… if you are a “Jaws” fan, you‘ll be happy to know the South Beaches of Long Island are full of sharks lately… apparently the warmer waters are bringing more open water fish closer to shore and of late shark populations have rebounded a little and the sharks are pursuing these schools of fish nearer the beaches.
Actually, where I took the picture, sharks, dolphins and whales are fairly common (the deep water is closer to shore there) and a few miles east, you even have seals, but lately the media has been reporting on it a lot because the sharks are being spotted at beaches further west (closer to Coney Island).
The warmer water is kinda disturbing…
While I was at a nearby beach collecting the bones and exoskeletons of various sea creatures who’d been the meals of various other sea creatures, I found washed ashore, the fry (baby fish) of an Atlantic Porkfish, a type of Grunt normally found in the Caribbean and occasionally a little north of Florida…

BD0C88E2-FC77-4E6A-819A-FDC7AA061999.jpeg

Unless the fish was carried really far north by some weird current or it was dumped by a human, it has no business being in the waters of Long Island… especially as such a small juvenile… because it should be too cold and hundreds of miles out of its normal tropical habitat.

But yeah… no worries… there’s no such thing as global warming, nothing to see here… this fish was just on vacation and he drowned while surfing.

MEC4D

Zbrushing through the topology
Contributing Artist
While I was at a nearby beach collecting the bones and exoskeletons of various sea creatures who’d been the meals of various other sea creatures, I found washed ashore, the fry (baby fish) of an Atlantic Porkfish, a type of Grunt normally found in the Caribbean and occasionally a little north of Florida…

View attachment 70708
Unless the fish was carried really far north by some weird current or it was dumped by a human, it has no business being in the waters of Long Island… especially as such a small juvenile… because it should be too cold and hundreds of miles out of its normal tropical habitat.

But yeah… no worries… there’s no such thing as global warming, nothing to see here… this fish was just on vacation and he drowned while surfing.
I was confused too for a moment , what Atlantic Porkfish doing in this region , but maybe it is fragment of an Angelfish , someone released it to wrong water , Porkfish have additional strip after the eye.

McGyver

Energetic
The juvenile porkfish look different, more stunted than an adult and the body on an angelfish, even a juvenile is shaped more like a diamond or humpbacked shape.. and the fins are totally different (it might not be apparent in the photo)…especially the ventral/pelvic fins are very unique in angelfish… they tend to look like miniature copies of adults.

1AA82B58-F4ED-492B-ABCC-E95EF0C10361.jpeg

DBDD5C51-D244-48E2-8032-45C88B38153B.jpeg

The coloration is difficult, some porkfish juveniles have a black dot on the tail too, or three horizontal black stripes… some don’t … some also lack the black stripe by the tail.

Or it’s not a porkfish at all, but it’s not a native fish though… most likely something related to grunts, but nothing I’ve seen in these waters.

People have been catching fish normally found far down south here for the past couple of years… lately if you talk to people who fish they usually have a story of a few warm water fish they’ve caught… it’s getting more common now, which isn’t so weird (but still not good)… but finding a juvenile of a tropical species is a lot more concerning.

Or maybe someone flushed a dead young marine aquarium fish down the toilet.

Who knows.

I still think he died on vacation while surfing.

McGyver

Energetic
Getting ready for the stupid hurricane that’s approaching…
I got this earlier…
CCD74C24-D324-4B04-8AE1-9D85EC8F08B6.jpg

Earlier I wasn’t that concerned, but now all the track models are showing a path through eastern Long Island…
I‘m really hoping this isn’t going to be bad… last year and the year before we had two storms that were not supposed to be that bad, which did lots of damage and now this is starting to look a little serious.

Also… I hope DanaTA is gonna be okay, he seems to be in the track too in Massachusetts.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Yes, I saw earlier they were tracking it to New England, and you're right in that path. Here in the City, we'll probably just get a lot of rain.

Stezza

Dances with Bees
19c ( 68f ) and a bit warmer, golden wattle trees are blooming everywhere clear with the wafting smell of bushfire smoke from the hazard reduction happening nearby.

10 days and counting till Spring time :flower02: :shineon:

DanaTA

Distinguished
Weather Channel just said it may be tracking farther west and may hit NYC directly. Be safe, you two!

Dana

Hornet3d

Wise
I hope everyone either in the path of the hurricane or close to it remains safe. It is not something we have in the UK, well not of this scale, so it is hard to imagine how frightening it must be but my thoughts are with you.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Well, I checked last night, and again just now, and according to Weather.com, we'll have plenty of rain starting this afternoon, and then pretty much all day tomorrow, but they're saying winds at 20 to 30 mph, and that's windy, but not anything like the 70mph (or higher) the hurricane will produce.

They've got 5 Alerts listed, 3 Tropical Storm warnings, 1 Tropical Weather Statement, and a Flood Watch from 8:00pm tonight until 8:00am Monday, so the weather is definitely going to be wet and messy, but I'm more worried about McGyver and folks living out on Long Island. They're in the middle of the direct path of the hurricane. :(

McGyver

Energetic
Thanks for the well wishes folks.
For me at least, it’s not frightening, but annoying... mostly because there will probably be all sorts of interruptions that will last for at least two weeks… not to mention all the clean up that will be involved.
One of the chief annoyances is this stupid reliance on above ground electrical systems instead of burying the electric lines, despite modern equipment and techniques making this task considerably cheaper and easier than it was in the past.
So every big storm we endure outages and the power companies end up spending ridiculous sums of money repairing the antiquated systems instead of facing the fact this is the new normal and modernizing and proactively rising to meet the challenges that face us instead of just treating this like its going to go away eventually.
The messed up thing is that technically a Category 1 hurricane isn’t that bad… states like Florida shrug that off because they are used to much stronger winds and flooding… but up here despite all time we’ve had to prepare, there is still this mentality that a hurricane is a once in a half century event…
We’ve already had two bad ones and technically none of them were still hurricanes when they made landfall.
The worst one, Sandy was just a tropical storm when it made landfall, and that hit the NY metropolitan area and Long Island like Godzilla in a bad mood… most of the damage and problems could have been avoided with better planning and systems in place.
Sandy had pretty much lost a lot of energy before making landfall and the winds were considerably lower... most of the wind damage was done by isolated gusts of strong wind, not sustained winds.
Now you are looking at sustained winds on the level of those isolated gusts… That’s gonna suck for way more people because where the gusts affected sections of neighborhoods, sustained winds will blanket huge swathes of land with the same force, but for longer amounts of time.
Out here, after Sandy it took weeks for many gas stations to get power… which means gas was scarce, both for driving and to keep generators running... Thats a huge problem for people with medical devices like BiPAP machines.
Afterwards, everyone went on about making it mandatory for gas stations to have generators... as far as I’m aware, that was never implemented and if this happens again, people will be as screwed as they were last time.
Seriously, a flat learning curve… more like a learning plane.

MissB, DanaTA, and anyone else out there in the storm’s path, stay safe and be well.

eclark1894

Visionary
I hope everyone either in the path of the hurricane or close to it remains safe. It is not something we have in the UK, well not of this scale, so it is hard to imagine how frightening it must be but my thoughts are with you.
Well, from my experience living in a coastal state like North Carolina, unless you're closer than 50 miles to the shore, generally, it's okay to shelter in place. You're likely to get high winds, heavy rain, and depending on how the topography around you is, some flooding, especially if you're near a river or stream. That's generally. There are plenty of exceptions though. In NC, we can get it from both ends. Hurricanes that come ashore from the ocean, or tropical storms that travel up from the Gulf of Mexico and hit our mountains. And btw, if you're closer than 50 miles to the ocean, GET THE HELL OUT OF THERE!

New York is a different kind of animal though. It's a coastal state, but it doesn't get half the hurricanes that NC or Florida does. Most of them die out before they get that far or they head out to sea.

Last edited: