• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

This Ain't Rocket Science...WIP thread

David

Adventurous
Contributing Artist
Hopefully, all will go well. I've got some great testers who don't let me get away with anything. :)

Now, I can begin to work more seriously on my next project. Been fooling around with it for a while. I'm almost afraid to say anything about it. It's pretty ambitious (for me), and I might jinx it.

David

Adventurous
Contributing Artist
Well, here's a peek at part of what I'm working on. A few years ago, I did a couple of image series called Odd Girls 1 and 2. They were pinups mostly of women who were in some way unusual in some way. I did those images with V4. I decided to see if I could turn Dawn into an Odd Girl. Using 3dCoat and Poser's Morph Tool, I've managed to come up with 5 character morphs that satisfy my Odd Girl tastes. I'm working on skin textures in 3dCoat now. Below is my first try at a skin texture in 3dCoat. I know there are issues, this is only the first go 'round. The eyes and nails are not done yet, and I painted an outfit for modesty's sake. I just wanted to share because I'm very pleased with the way things are going. Comments are very welcome.

image 1.png image 2.png image 3.png

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Hmmm, don't remember your V4 Odd Girls, but I'm also liking what I see with this Dawn version. I look forward to seeing more. ;)

David

Adventurous
Contributing Artist
Thank you. I've been thinking of putting them in the gallery here. Maybe I will. I was pretty proud of them. I also did some fairy projects I was quite proud of. :)

So, I have to ask, does anyone find the character skin too glossy? I'm thinking it is, but I need some second opinions.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
The glossiness could be toned down.

You should put your odd girls and fairy projects in your gallery here. They were amazing.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I'll second what Satira said, and I'd like to see your V4 Odd Girls in the gallery here too. ;)

David

Adventurous
Contributing Artist
The glossiness could be toned down.

You should put your odd girls and fairy projects in your gallery here. They were amazing.

I think you're right about the glossiness. The PBR material I used in 3dCoat has a layer for oiliness, and I think it's a bit overpowering.

And thanks for the kind words about the Odd Girls and Fairy projects. I guess I'd like to see them up somewhere. I was really proud of those projects. I'll see if I can't take the time and get them up. I've never done a gallery here, so I'll have to figure the thing out. :)

Hornet3d

Wise
Looking good Hornet. :)

Thanks for the comment, I wanted to make sure everything worked before I started playing, not that I was expecting any problems. As there are so many parts included in the outfit it is crying out to be used for some kit bashing which will mean a few texture tweaks as well.

David

Adventurous
Contributing Artist
Here's a look at what my first Odd Girl for Dawn looks like. These are Superfly renders, btw. I toned down the specular on the base texture set. If I can keep it up, I'm thinking that I might do this for all the characters I'm planning (one base texture and two Odd Girl textures). Let me know what you think.

Odd Girl 1 base.jpg Odd Girl 1 a.jpg Odd Girl 1 b.jpg

David

Adventurous
Contributing Artist
Well, I'm pretty psyched right now. I've been fooling around with Poser 11's new layer ability in the material room. I found a simple, to the point tutorial on how to get things to work using the layers in Poser and all is good. :) This will allow me to make a bodysuit or other close fitting piece of clothing painted as a layer. I haven't tested it yet, but I should be able to use the clothing layer on any Dawn figure not just the one I created it for (I hope). I've been contemplating some complicated clothing sets for these Odd Girls and if my tests continue to be successful, the clothing will be a lot less complicated. Here's my first test with layers.

bodysuit test.jpg
There are some material zone issues that I need to figure out, but these are in 3dCoat not Poser. I know most of you probably already know how to use the material room layers, but it's a new toy for me. I'm very excited. I'll be able to create multiple layer outfits as material layers as well as modeling clothing to go over them all. :)

tparo

Engaged
QAV-BEE
Here's a look at what my first Odd Girl for Dawn looks like. These are Superfly renders, btw. I toned down the specular on the base texture set. If I can keep it up, I'm thinking that I might do this for all the characters I'm planning (one base texture and two Odd Girl textures). Let me know what you think.

View attachment 32788 View attachment 32789 View attachment 32790

Very interesting character, love the different skins.
Will this work in DS as well as Poser?

David

Adventurous
Contributing Artist
@tparo, I think the textures will work in Studio, but I couldn't say for sure since I don't use Studio. When it comes to testing, I'll find a Studio user and check.

David

Adventurous
Contributing Artist
Here's what I've been working on lately. The character is just my Odd Girl morph and skins. This outfit will probably end up being Fashion Forward 2. I've also got a second skin bodysuit that goes with it as well a separate top. Hopefully, I'll get to hair this time. Here are two images just to see how it looks with one of the Odd textures. The outfit came directly from Silo, so only Poser generated colors. No textures or mat zones yet. I don't know if I'm happy with the shoulders of the jacket.

image 1.jpg image 2.jpg

Comments, critique very welcome.