• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

The Anchorage, Part 3

Mythocentric

Extraordinary
We got a call from a certain small person of our acquaintance this afternoon. It appears that the intrepid campers are really roughing it over in Flookbrough at the moment. A teacher took them into the clubroom after dinner and the television had broken down! :oops:

Meanwhile, there has been no further sign of mystic moggy in the old homestead. Well, apart from the paw prints across the ceiling that is!

THINKS! :happydance::happydance::happydance::happydance::happydance: END OF THINKS!

Last edited:

Terre

Renowned
"Mystic Moggy?

Dana "
I think he's talking about the Schrodingers cat bit he posted before. Things that made it look like there is a cat when there isn't one.

DanaTA

Distinguished
When I was a kid, I went to summer camp a few years, two weeks at a time. No TV. But there was a movie night, if I remember correctly. We did crafts, had a "canteen" time, and other activities like archery, horseshoes, clowning around in the cabin (no tents, cabins with bunk beds). A pool, different things. It was two weeks away from the city and neighborhood.

Dana

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Other than camp being one week, no pool, and I don't recall a movie night, our summer camp sounds a lot like yours Dana.

Other than the required group activities (I'm such a loner), I enjoyed camp.

Mythocentric

Extraordinary
No TV? Horrors!!!!
I remembr there being no TV at all when going to camp. Your little person would have trouble with that? I hope not.

No problems with Lucy Terre. She'd rather be doing arts and crafts than watching TV. In fact, she's taken a sketchbook with her to draw us the things she sees but for some of the kids, camping for the first time, a clubhouse (with a TV) can be a comfort. They are off to the woods today apparently. Probably learning how to get lost, knowing that lot! :)

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I went to camp as a kid. The first summer was a "Day" camp, so they picked us up in the morning, and dropped us off at night. I don't really remember much about that one, but the camp site wasn't too far away.

The "Sleep Away" camp I went to the following 6 years was upstate, so nowhere near what most would call a "city". It was on the shore of a large lake, so we had swimming and boating available. We also had arts and crafts projects and such, and even though we had 2 counselors for each cabin, we "elected" one or two of the campers to be "leaders", so it was a nice experience. In fact, I was our cabin leader my last summer up there.

Of course, the first couple of years I cried when it was time to leave my parents for the summer (even though I knew they'd be up for a weekend to visit), and cried when it was time to go home, because I had so much fun all summer. I was pretty sure I was going to continue going there every summer, and eventually become a junior counselor myself once I reached 18, and then a counsel when I reached 21, but we moved the following June, and my mom wanted me to stay home to meet, and get to know, new friends in the new neighborhood, so I never went back there.

My brother met my sister-in-law there, as they were working as waiter and waitress in the adult camp, so I always saw them when we were in the mess hall for meals.

The only bad thing about those summers is, that's when I caught all my childhood diseases . . . Chicken Pox, German Measles and Mumps. A great way to spoil a nice time. In fact, with the German Measles, my parents had to come to get me and take me home, because it was too contagious to just spend some time in the infirmary as I did the other times I was sick in camp.

Miss B

CV-BEE
@Miss B Other than getting sick that sounds like you had great summers. :)
They were, especially for someone at that age. In fact, the last two summers I was there, two of my friends from home were there, and in my cabin as well. My mother knew their theirs, as they were classmates of mine, so she happened to mention it to them, and they decided why not? It was even more fun then, because not all of my cabin mates were strangers those two years. ;)

Of course, a couple of the returning campers who were in my cabin the previous years, wound up in my cabin the last 2 years as well, but these two were good friends of mine the rest of the year too. :)

DanaTA

Distinguished
Well, only a few years, and only 2 weeks out of the Summer. It was charity. My family and my friend's family were both on welfare. But we enjoyed it.

Dana

Miss B

CV-BEE
Yes, as a young child it's always good to "get out of the city" for a while. For those who live in the suburbs, or on a farm/ranch, not so much because they can have all the outdoor options right at home.

DanaTA

Distinguished
Well, from 3rd grade to my junior year in high school, we lived in the same apartment and it was only a little less than two blocks from the biggest park in the city. South Park, renamed John F. Kennedy Park after his assassination. Recently (I don't know how recent) it seems to have been renamed South Park again. I don't know why. Now I'm not sure, maybe that was just an eroneous website. Kennedy Park And it's not a big city, not like Boston or New York, or even Providence RI. From the middle of junior year to graduation, we lived in a project. But that was one block from another park. Until the middle of 3rd grade, we lived in a different project. At the time one of the toughest in the city. I survived them both, sometimes I wonder by how much, though. They definitely left their mark on me. But they didn't define me.

Dana

Terre

Renowned
I think those experiences have helped you deal with adversity. I'm sure there are scars too but because you didn't let it define you you came out of it a good man.

Terre

Renowned
Good evening. How is everyone doing? I really hope we don't lose power to lightning this evening but we've had one big blip so far.