• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

The Anchorage, Part 3

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I'm not expecting rain here, but it's been fairly windy. I think a good portion of Long Island will get the rain, and they're saying the eastern most portion of Canada will get the worst of it as Dorian heads north.

DanaTA

Distinguished
I think Dorian missed us here. We didn't even get rain...well, a little bit but not for hours, more like minutes. Dried up so fast I didn't notice it was here. But the got bashed up in eastern and northern Maine.

Dana

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
We really need rain but they say there's none for another couple of weeks. We have really strong winds at the moment which are playing havoc with the bushfires :(

Mythocentric

Extraordinary
Heavy rain for tonight and Monday because of the remnants of one of those storms our American cousins keep sending over from the colonies, which is a pain in the bum because I have to go into Lancaster tomorrow to visit the Outdoor shops! Whyfor? Because our Lucy is going camping with a group from school. She's already nicked my Vango tunnel tent, (because it's black and it looks really cool!) but they have given her a list of stuff she'll need. I'm not sure where they are going but judging from some of the stuff on the list (and it's length) the Antarctic could be in for a rough time next week! :whistling:

Mythocentric

Extraordinary
Ouch! Not fun Terre! I hope your water companies are better than ours at their job. The law in the UK says that you are responsible for any leaks within the boundaries of your property to the boundary line, after which it is their responsibility. That, however, didn't stop the water companies deciding that we were responsible for the cost of any repairs outside the boundary line as well, the logic being that because their pipes were supplying water to our pipes, that, therefore, meant that we shared responsibility for the cost of maintenance, because they had worked out that our pipes were losing around 1 million gallons of water per day to leaks. Fortunately for us, when the utility companies were privatised the government set up an Ombudsman (Watchdogs!) system to oversee them who wanted to know if the water companies had taken into account the 60 million gallons of water per day they were wasting because of a backlog of system repairs, some dating back 15 years, and which was responsible for millions of pounds (£) in property and land damage plus pollution to our lakes and rivers. So, long story short, our beloved water suppliers suddenly finding themselves with litigation for billions of pounds for their countless failures (not to mention losing customers faster than a dead dog loses fleas) backed down.

Shopping is completed and home has been reached once more and, I've even got some money left in my wallet! Miss Lucy is now the proud owner of a new sleeping bag (pink!), inflatable sleep pad (also pink!), walking boots (Brown, thank God, but it was a close call!) and eating utensils. We even managed a visit to our favourite burger bar where she proved that you really can pack a lot into a small package! The only downside was the rain which has kept it up all morning. Actually, not so much the rain as the means of keeping it out, as in that all-singing, all-dancing, cutting edge clothing designed to keep it out whilst keeping you dry by wicking away the sweat. You know the sort of stuff. It has various names which usually end in ...tex! Now here's the bad news. It doesn't always work. For instance. Did you know that the wicking properties only work if the outside is dry? Add water to the outside and the wicking stops. Why? Because the intention is that moisture inside (sweat) is transferred to the outside and evaporates. Until that is it reaches the layer of water outside after which the only way it has to go is inwards. Result? After a while you find yourself wearing a personal sauna if you have any intention of actually moving whilst wearing the stuff! OK! It keeps you warm, even when you are soaked in sweat but what's the point when you get the same result wearing something costing a third of the price? Sheesh!

The little Miss is really looking forward to her trip especially now that she knows that we can actually see the campsite from the house using binoculars. It's at Flookburgh right across the bay from us, so we told her she can take the binoculars so that can see us waving to her!

PS: Did I mention the waterproof Yeti hat with earflaps (pink)?

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
You didn't mention what color her backpack/carrying case is, but I'm going to take a "wiiiiild" guess and say . . . pink? ;)

Terre

Renowned
The water company here hasn't tried to make residents pay for damage on their side of the meter. In a way we do because it is taxes that pay for it but individuals who can't afford repairs on the city side of the line don't have to come up with the money all by themselves. On our side of the property line it is all our responsibility. Fortunately we don't have any leaks.

I hope she has a lot of fun, Mytho. Sounds like it should be.

Mythocentric

Extraordinary
You didn't mention what color her backpack/carrying case is, but I'm going to take a "wiiiiild" guess and say . . . pink? ;)

Close Miss B! It's red! OK! So I suppose you could describe it as dark pink but seeing as it's mine and she's 'borrowed' it, I ain't admittin' nuffink! It's actually a 25-litre MountainLife Venture with a carbon frame and airback which I use as my day bag so it turned out to be just about perfect for her. It holds everything she needs while still being able to remain upright. Mind you, we had problems when we tried to attach the tent. Its a serious piece of kit popular with alpinist's so she developed a strange tendency to fall over for no reason. Happily the furthermost she'll have to carry it is from the minibus to the pitch thank goodness. Otherwise, we'd have had to fit her with scaffolding! :whistling:

Mythocentric

Extraordinary
It sounds like you have a good pack for her to use, Mytho.

Yeah! I must admit I like decent kit. I also have an Osprey Talon 33 litre and a Karrimor SF Sabre 45 litre bag (beloved by the military including the SAS for good reason). The larger two can carry everything I need to for up to 3 days internally, including my tent. I find it most peculiar when I see so many people slinging their tents off the bottom of their pack which is the worst possible place for it given that it's putting it outside the frame designed to carry the weight and banging against your butt as you walk! On top is just as bad or worse because it throws you off balance. The MountainLife has a lot going for it despite it's (much) lower price and has accompanied me on a lot of photography trips where it's meant an overnight camp. One small feature I like is the built-in rain cover which slips out of a pocket bottom front and covers the whole bag. Vital when you reach a site only to find everything inside is damp because your rain cover has blown off somewhere along the way, which has happened with the Osprey. The support system is top-notch and adjustable too which was vital for a tiddler like our Lucy.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Since a Tiddler is a small fish, it's less than a hop, skip, and a jump to small fry, which is a young fish and also refers to a young child.

Mythocentric

Extraordinary
Interesting times! While I was writing the previous post I received a parcel by courier from Germany :))). An exceedingly well-packed and secure parcel. In fact, it took me about 10 minutes to dig my way into the blasted thing! Once there, however, I was delighted to find my new Swiss Army Knife from Victorinox. A Forester M with custom grip and everything a keen outdoorsman needs (he writes, reaching out to turn the central heating up another notch! :whistling:). While it doesn't have one of those things for removing stones from horses hooves (though they do make a model capable of doing that) it does have everything you need to perform tasks like woodcrafty things such as sawing up branches for fires, making emergency tent pegs, opening beer cans (a vital function!) and, come to think of it, opening stubborn parcels! Schroedinger's Knife?

Last edited:

Mythocentric

Extraordinary
Weeellll! Go on, but it was fun demolishing the box to something resembling brown snowflakes to see if the knife was actually in there! Which it was - probably. I was a bit disappointed to find no trace of a cat though although I did detect a faint scent of catnip. Strangely enough, we did find claw marks near the bottom of the door frame this morning which I must admit is a bit worrying because we don't have a cat! o_O