• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

The Anchorage, Part 3

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
The first one is called The Crystal Singer iirc. I started with her Pern series with the book on Menolly...still love to read it from time to time.

Terre

Renowned
Good morning. :) We have a lot of books including the SF collection my dad made in the 50s and 60s. Lots of old pulp mags too.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Wow! $40 for that? My hands will have to work through it!
I think I only paid between $30 to $35 dollars when I bought it, but still not inexpensive.

My problem is I suffer from acute chronic CTS, and aside from wearing wrist wraps all the time, I needed this to help me handle books, and now my tablet.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Morning Everyone!

@Terre , wow that sounds like a wonderful collection. I often wish I had kept the books I had as a child.

@Miss B , I'm not sure what CTS is but I feel for you. I need to use elastic bandages on my wrist now and again but it's mainly my fingers that cause me problems.

Miss B

CV-BEE
CTS stands for Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, and it can be very painful. It develops from repetitious movements with your hands, and even just your fingers. I've had it since high school because my mother taught me how to knit and crochet at a young age. Of course, back then they didn't have a name for it. It got worse when I started playing the piano, and also with my typing classes.

Over the years, spending hours at a time on a computer keyboard didn't help either. I always took precautions as I would stop whatever I was doing if it got bad. Two of the secretaries at my office both had surgery because they didn't take precautions, and it got to a point they had no choice. One did both hands at the same time, and the other did one hand at a time.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Aaahh...I should have know that. Too early in the morning here Miss B.

I have been knitting, crocheting and sewing since a young age so but didn't do the typing you would have done just a few classes in high school.

My daughter loved playing guitar but had to give it up for similar reasons.-

DanaTA

Distinguished
I use the Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000. It has an attachment that lifts it properly, at the side closest to you. Thus, the slope downward away from your body follows the natural position your forearms fall into. The split of the keyboard between the g and h keys puts your wrists in the proper position, too. So, no forcing your hands into a completely flat horizontal position, and no bending your wrist so your hands follow the unnatural bend that regular keyboards force them into. These are the main causes of CTS, for computer users anyway...except maybe the use of the mouse. And I have that covered by my Logitech Performance MX mouse. I'm at my computer for hours and hours and have no such problems. Now, there are other issues, but that's another story.

Dana

Miss B

CV-BEE
I use the Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000. It has an attachment that lifts it properly, at the side closest to you. Thus, the slope downward away from your body follows the natural position your forearms fall into.
YES!! The last 8 to 10 years at my firm, we had gotten new desk equipment, and the "slider", for lack of a better word, where the keyboard sat was adjustable, and I had it adjusted in that same downward position, and yes it helped a lot.

Unfortunately, it's not doable with a laptop, so I no longer have that option.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Interesting info Dana. I currently use an old style desk for my desktop. I probably would be better off with and ergonomic desk.

DanaTA

Distinguished
My desk is pretty normal...well, my sister wouldn't say so. It's large. But it has the regular keyboard shelf below the regular desktop, and one to either side of it for a mouse pad and other things. Mine is a corner desk, six feet to either side. One leg is like a room divider...the room is only eight feet wide...the thing just fit!

Dana

DanaTA

Distinguished
I bought mine when we bought this house. It has a "hutch" on each side, and a corner shelf in the center above the center desktop. It's oak, some solid, some veneer on plywood, and it's quite heavy, but nice looking, and has a lot of storage space...which I've just about completely filled. :rolleyes: it's quite messy right now, too. :unsure:

Dana