• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Superhero for Dawn

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Thank you guys so much for the feedback! I think I am done with the maps, so now I can concentrate on the rigging, morph support, and color sets. ^^

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Alright - I have finally finished rigging and adding the morphs to the bodysuit. The most challenging and potentially discouraging part is fixing the "Legs Split" JCM pose (below), and now I have FINALLY understood how it's done properly. That makes this the best topology and rigging job I have done to this date, where the mesh is all quads with only 12K polys. It took all of Dawn morphs very smoothly, and only required minor fixing, including BodyBuilder2. ^___^

It's not that I haven't done a good job with previous outfits, but instead that I only now understood HOW it is supposed to be done - more specifically the JCM fixing part. All previous outfits were created in DS4, which has different tools and workflows, but this one was done entirely in Poser Pro 2014. One of my biggest challenges when correcting morphs in DS was that it lacks a tool to directly fix geometry at vertex level, but in Poser we have the Morphing Tool, which made everything easy. I could fix all morphs and JCMs without ever leaving Poser, which made things so much simpler. I can't imagine rigging anything without the Morphing Tool from now on. Don't get me wrong - DS has great rigging tools for some parts, but below is the most challenging part (as seen in other threads), and Poser nails it with the awesome Morphing Tool, and the easiest method to rig master/slave morph controls and dependent parameters. I have the "Office Lady" outfit for Dawn that got stuck at this point last year, and I've been stuck at the Legs Split JCM fixing part since then. Now I know how to fix it! ^^

LegsSplit.jpg

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I have added 2 new morphs for the cape: Width and Length. That helps customizing the cape shape for poses and different characters. Now it can be long and wide if you like. ^^

PP2014 render with Firefly:

Super1_.jpg

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Thanks, Pen! Still have to add geometry to make the body handle accessible directly from the cape. ^^

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I long flowing cape is always a plus Ken. This is really looking good. ;)

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
@Miss B Oh yes, I have to remember to add morphs to the dynamic cape too, which will serve as better starting points for simulations. People will just have to remember that once the cape is set to dynamic, all morphs are locked up. ^^

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Added a body handle to the cape, so now the ghost bone that controls it can easily be accessed directly from the viewport, instead of the hierarchy list. Below is a test using the new body handle in combination with the new Width and Length morphs.

It's worth mentioning that the new and super-easy way to create body handles in Poser Pro 11 makes the feature incompatible with all previous Poser versions, so here I have used the traditional way with custom geometry, which makes it compatible with all previous versions.

BodyHandle.jpg

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I actually have no idea. Those only work in Poser 11, so I am not using it at all. ;p I have created some body handles in P11 and tried them in P10 - they simply disappear. If it's not compatible, I am not using it. :)

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Today I have added a bunch of extra posing morphs to the cape, and fixed the morphs on the gloves, belt, boots, cowl and the 2 masks. Now everything is working fine, except for the belt buckles - some morphs pull them apart. Maybe it's a better idea to make them parented props instead of conforming figures. They may not automatically follow morphs, but will retain their shapes instead of getting mangled. I might do the same for the chest emblems, not only to preserve the shapes, but also to allow people to move them around, and perhaps place them in different spots, like the forehead, or wherever they like. I would like some feedback about it. What do you guys thing?

As previously mentioned, this will be my 1st outfit to fully support body scaling. Here is an example of character body and proportions entirely made with body scaling, reserving morphs only for the head. The outfit automatically follows without any morphs. ^^

This is a Firefly render in PP2014.

SuperElf_1200.jpg

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
I actually have no idea. Those only work in Poser 11, so I am not using it at all. ;p I have created some body handles in P11 and tried them in P10 - they simply disappear. If it's not compatible, I am not using it. :)
Fully understand this...

She looks wonderful Ken...I was wondering have you tried flood filling the buckles? I know that Paul used that trick to manage one of the products from the Hive to stop it mangling with morphs. My brain is totally dead at the moment so I can't remember which product but I think the post may have been on the old forums.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Thanks, Pen! Yes, I remember Paul did that in one of the products - I think it was the saddle. Flooding the weighs might work for joint rotations, but it's the body morphs that are mangling the buckles, because they push and pull at vertex level. I need the buckles to follow the morphs but keep their shapes. Something like rigidity. I wonder if Poser has something like that?