• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Superhero for Dawn

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
It should turn rigid for joint rotations, but I think it will still be mangled by morphs. Have to try and see. At least flooding weights is easy to do. :)

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I just gave it a try, and it does make sense - weight maps are only for joint rotations - they can't save the mesh from being pulled by morphs. It only preserves shape during posing. Maybe parented props could be the only solution.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
So...can I take it that it didn't work and the buckle still mangles or was it partially successful?

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Wowsers Ken. Love both those last two images.

What a fabulous product this is.

I like the idea of parented props and being able to move them around.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
@Pendraia Maybe Paul knows something I don't about this, but if you think of it, weight maps are adjusted per joint rotation (bend, side-side, Twist), while the buckle distortions are happening with Dawn unposed, after morphs are applied. Chances are this is not the way do to it. :)

@Satira Capriccio Thank you! Parented props may not follow morphs, but at least the props will not mangle and can also be repositioned. If distortions cannot be avoided, maybe this is the way to go. ^^

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Something that I will need to think and try to see how it works. Pity but parent props are still good.

I must admit that using DS with autofollow has spoilt me. When it works it is just fabulous.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Oh Ken, I'm loving that newest render of the Blue texture. Niiiiiice. ;)

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
@Pendraia Indeed, Auto-Follow is one more part of what makes conforming work so much better in DS than it does in Poser. Not only that, but the starting point we get from DS has been much better than the ones we get in Poser. On one hand, this also makes morphs work better with conforming outfits in DS, but on the other, DS lacks the Morphing Tool when things go wrong. And quite so often, things do go wrong. Like you said - it's great... when it works. :)

@Miss B Thank you! That is actually the same blue used in the other render with transparency map - it's just that now I have corrected color gamma in the normal maps channel, so it displays as it should. I often forget that normal, bump and specular nodes need to have the gamma correction set to "1.0" instead of the default "Scene settings", or else colors may go wonky in renders. That is all fixed in the suit materials now. ^^

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Here's a test with some more extreme morphs: BodyBuilder2 and Willow. Used the flat soles morph in both of them. The chest emblems survive, but the belt buckles get some distortion, but not enough to be noticeable from this distance. Some areas are more prone to morph distortions than others.

ExtremeMorphs.jpg

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
@Pendraia Maybe Paul knows something I don't about this, but if you think of it, weight maps are adjusted per joint rotation (bend, side-side, Twist), while the buckle distortions are happening with Dawn unposed, after morphs are applied. Chances are this is not the way do to it. :)

Not Paul, but I would repair the morph distortion in Poser by editing the morph in place. To do this, simply invoke the morph giving you trouble (dial it to 1) then open the morph tool. From the dropdown menu select the body part, then the morph list and choose the morph which is creating the distortion and smooth the distortion out. You get a list of all morphs installed into the item and modify any and all of them necessary (be sure to show hidden parameters!)
EditMorphInPlace.jpg

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Yes, I have tried that, but smoothing out hard surfaces like the belt and buckle shapes actually "melts" them down into a goo. It's great for shirts and large organic surfaces, but not so much for detailed hard surfaces with hard edges. I have to be able to maintain the hard edges. I think the only way might be vertex pushing in 3DSMAX in this case.

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
Yes, I have tried that, but smoothing out hard surfaces like the belt and buckle shapes actually "melts" them down into a goo. It's great for shirts and large organic surfaces, but not so much for detailed hard surfaces with hard edges. I have to be able to maintain the hard edges. I think the only way might be vertex pushing in 3DSMAX in this case.

Hmmm, I just did it on the buckles for the kilt I am doing for Dusk. I just turn down the brush size and magnitude and go slowly.

There were a couple times I turned the pleats on the kilt into goo, though. ROFL!

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
The problem is that the smoothing brush was created to round up all hard edges it runs across, by evening up the surface normals. My buckle and buckle emblems have hard edges, so I can't run the smoothing brush on them because the hard edges will be smoothed out. In general, Poser was not meant to work with hard edges, since organic characters don't have them.

There is a similar problem with ZBrush for he same reason - the smoothing brush doesn't preserve hard edges. We can use the pinch brush to try to recover hard edges that got smoothed out, but we have no control on how packed the edges will get. It also tends to make hard edges lumpy.

It would be much easier if I made the buckle and emblems rounded up instead of hard surfaces. Something to consider on my next projects. ^^

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Red Chilli Foxie! ^___^

Added an option for an arm segment to show/hide. I am thinking on doing the same with the leggings, by making them a separate map that can be added/removed. This way, arm covers and leggings can be added/removed in any combination using the same maps. This should make it more versatile and reduce file size.

Red Hot Chilli Foxie_1200.jpg

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Loving all the options Ken!

She's a little big in the chest for my liking but I'd kill to have her abs!
(actually, if I lost a lot of weight and buffed up it would kinda look like me. Maybe that's why I think she's too chesty :p)