• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Superhero for Dawn

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Thanks! I need to figure out how to fix flipped UV normals. Not flipped UVs, but UV normals. >__<

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Haven't come upon that issue myself, so don't have any words of wisdom to help. :(

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
While googling around, I have found more people asking the same question dating back to 2006, and no answer. This only affects normal maps, so many out there may have never noticed it actually happens. In 3DSMAX, I can see the UV normals are flipped, but there is no command to flip them back. >__<

Miss B

CV-BEE
OK, not sure if this would work with a normal map, but can't you just export the normal map for the affected boot, and flip it horizontally in Photoshop, PSP, Gimp, or whatever your 2D graphics app of choice happens to be, and then import it back into 3DS Max?

Or, if it's one normal map for both boots, can't you do the same, and just flip the affected boot portion of the map?

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
That's the thing - only one of the boots has the UV normals inverted, and MAX has no command to unflip them. I have checked online, and found other people struggling with the same thing. You won't notice anything until you try to apply a normal map to the model - one side will be flipped inside out. This is related to the model UVs, not the normal map. If I flip the normal map, it will fix one side and turn the other foot inside out. It seems easy enough to just flip the inverted UV normals, but MAX really doesn't know how to do it. I can only flip the UVs themselves, but not the direction of their normal vectors. I already know the same will happen to the gloves because they were modeled symmetrically.

I have asked Chris for help on this. If MAX cannot do it, maybe Modo can, but I don't know how to use it. ^///^

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Ok, so I did my research, and learned that the normal map getting inside out on the right boot is NOT a problem on my side, but instead a bug in Poser OpenGL preview and Firefly. I couldn't find a way to flip the UV normals because it just can't be done, so apparently it's not 3DSMAX's fault as I first thought.

In the image below we can see that Firefly and the OpenGL preview fails to render the boots with normal maps properly, but Cycles (SuperFly) can do it properly on its own. Thanks to normal map performance optimization, SuperFly (right side) has rendered the boots in less than a second. To my surprise, Octane 2.6 has also failed to render the normal maps correctly, leaving the right foot inside out like FireFly did. Now I wonder if DS can handle this properly?

I have submitted a bug report on this to both SMS and OToy. It's out of my hands now...

NormalMapTest.jpg

Miss B

CV-BEE
AHA!! I wasn't understanding you correctly, but now that I see your examples, I know exactly what you were referring to.

That said, I just checked, and Blender has 3 options under Mesh > Normals:

Recalculate Outside
Recalculate Inside
Flip Normals

Whether that would work on your boots I don't know, but that's the only place I can find an option to work with Normals. Then again, if you did these with symmetry, then I guess it wouldn't work because even if I selected just the one boot, the other would get flipped because of the symmetry.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Hmm, flipping geometry normals? I we flip those, the boots will become invisible... What needs to be flipped are the UV normals on the right boot, so that the bumps won't look inverted when the map is applied. I have found a tutorial that claims to do this, but afterwards, the UVs look OK in MAX, mas are definitely destroyed in Poser. Maybe there is no way to fix this, since half the UVs are overlapping and inverted. Either the renderer can display it properly or it can't. So far, Firefly can't, but SuperFly does.

Now I am wondering if this is the reason why some CAs create each foot as a separate conforming item, each with their own flipped texture maps?

UPDATE: I have tested this in DS4, and got a similar result:

* 3Delight: incorrect rendering of normal map (flipped on right boot), just like FireFly.
* iRay: proper render of normal maps, just like Cycles/SuperFly.

Might come down that all this is a rendering engine problem. Some renderers don't know how to properly handle normal maps, while others do.

Last edited:

Miss B

CV-BEE
Sounds like. That's too bad, because not all DS users have 4.9/Iray, and not all users have Poser 11 with SuperFly.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Yes, I wonder what other CAs do about this? Or maybe nobody uses normal maps? Wasn't iRay introduced in DS 4.8?

Miss B

CV-BEE
Hmmmm, it might have been, but I haven't upgraded my DS 4 since DS 4.0 Pro came out, so have no way of knowing for sure.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
The rigging tools have improved a truckload since DS 4.6, some powerful stuff. But I think file formats have changed many times since then. ^^

3WC

Engaged
Contributing Artist
I only just started using normal maps instead of bump maps. I haven't run across this particular problem. In fact I didn't know there was such a thing as a uv normal as well as a mesh normal. Just shows my lack of knowledge, sorry.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
It's actually pretty easy to get geometry faces inverted, but in many programs, you will only notice the side effects when you render. In Poser, inverted face normals become invisible or just black, depends on your video card. With inverted UVs, the bump or normal maps become inside out as seen in the render above. Depending on the kind of map, we may not even notice it's inverted. In the boots, it becomes apparent that the sewing seams are inside out on the right foot.

Since the UVs on the right boot are inverted and overlapping with the left boot, I don't think it can be "fixed". I first thought there was something wrong with 3DSMAX for not having a UV normal flip command, but now it may be that it must can't be done. I have manually inverted the UV normal by hacking the OBJ, and they appear OK in MAX, but that seems to break their connection with the geometry coordinates. When rendered in Poser, the UV normals that have been flipped get destroyed.

That's what makes me believe this can only be resolved by fixing the rendering engine, to render normal maps properly.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I have been in touch with SMS, and looks like Firefly (Poser) and 3Delight (DS) both cannot always properly display normal maps (as seen above) because they only support "tangent space". Modern rendering engines like Cycles/SuperFly and IRay now support modern "Mikk-T space", which resolves the flipped/overlapped UV normals issue. So I suppose I cannot rely on normal maps in my products because both Poser and DS have aging rendering engines that don't fully support them.

This only affects normal maps applied to models that have a symmetric counterpart, like shoes, boots and gloves. I will have to find another way, maybe bump maps, assuming those won't display inside out as well.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
This is a Firefly render with brand new normal maps for the boots, gloves, cowl and cape. Probably can't see all the small details from this distance, but I think the difference is visible. Body shape was done only with body scaling, where this is my 1st outfit to fully support it. ^^

Blue Dragon_1200.jpg