• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

"Spin to Win" Render Challenge! - CLOSED!

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
HiveWire 3D "Spin To Win" Render Challenge!

------------------------------------------------------------------------
OK folks, our judges, Rae134, JOdel and Hornet3D have spoken!!!

And the winners are (drum roll please):

First Place: #17 The Entwife by HaiGan
We were all blown away by how much different this character was to the base figure (so much so, that if you didn't know it was Dawn you would think it was a totally new figure!)

Second Place: #4 Beautiful Nature by Mininessie
A beautiful render that almost tied for 1st, we had to judge on the final render and not the comparison shots and while the POV would have worked well for any other challenge, we felt it detracted from the uniqueness of the character (as it made it look like foreshortening rather than the character stature).

Third Place: #9 Incoming! by Michele
Does this still look like Dusk? Yes, but we feel that is mainly in part because of the texture (which the clay comparison shots confirm). It is a great render and we admired how well it looks like a toon especially since Dusk doesn't have any dedicated toon morphs.

Honourable Mention: #15 Red Witch by KageRyu
The Red Witch was a stunning render and the character built was a good character, however there was a great deal of stiff competition here and the differences between them all could be quite minor. This gets its mention on the strength of the render. The render is a symphony of colour and dramatic lighting. A great character though, just pipped for third place.

Congratulations to the winners!! :D
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Have you ever tried creating your own character?
Ever wondered how some folks seem to do it easily?
Or have you wanted to just spin some dials to see what you can achieve?

Now you have the chance to try it out for yourself! Breathe some personality and life into your figures. Create the faces you've always wanted to by spinning morph dials to create a unique character, or characters, and use it/them in a render for a chance to win!

To assist in getting started, we have created a Spin To Win Render Challenge Sale that offers individual morphs, morph sets, texture options and other goodies that you can mix and match to create your own unique characters.

You may use this thread for chatting about the challenge, and for posting your WIP renders. You can post your images here, before you finalize your render to show us how you are doing, or to ask for guidance if you get stumped on how to accomplish something.

When you have decided your image is final post here with the words FINAL RENDER, and the Title of your render, at the beginning of the post. We will collect all final renders, assign them a number with your Title, and transfer them to a private media album for blind judging.

Rules & Guidelines:
  • At least one HiveWire Human Base Character and any combination of morphs.
    • Morphs are defined as Starter Morphs, Head and Body Shapes, Creature Heads, Head Morph Resource Kits, Mini-Morphs, Body-Types, teeth morphs, etc. and can be further defined as morphs that are not sold with texture maps as Characters.​
  • No purchased characters
    • No use of character morphs that are already made for you such as Elisa, Janet, Jenny, Skyla, Deirdre HOWEVER you may use the Elisa, Janet, Jenny, etc. character textures on your unique dial spun character.​
  • No Sculpting
    • We will have a separate Render Challenge for sculpting your own morphs at a later time.​
  • Submissions must include the resources you used to create your unique character
  • List of Morphs / Morph Products used​
  • You may tell us what texture maps were used however, it is not required.​
  • Submitted Images must meet forum guidelines.
    • 1600 x 1600 pixel maximum image dimensions​
    • 1MB max file size for images​
    • 10MB max file size for video​
  • A maximum of 3 entries can be entered.
  • You must abide by the HiveWire 3D Terms Of Service.
    • Comedy is welcome.​
    • Please keep it family friendly.​
  • Do not sign your images. No artist information will be shown in the private media album, so please refrain from adding any copyright information to your renders.
Categories and Prizes:
This render challenge will close at midnight, Friday, September 6, 2019 (MST).

Reminders:
  • Please post your final renders here in this thread. Be sure to start your post with FINAL RENDER, as well as the Title of your render.
  • Please do not post your entries in any of the General Forum threads, or in the HW Galleries, until after the Render Challenge has ended and the winners have been announced. We would also prefer you not post your entries on forums, and in galleries, on other sites until the Render Challenge has ended.
  • Because the Render Challenge is Blind Judged, the judges do not view the Render Challenge thread until after the winners are announced.

Judges: JOdel, Hornet3d and Rae134

*We'd like to send a thank you to @Michele of Red Eye Cat for suggesting this wonderful Render Challenge theme.

NOTE: After much confusion and resulting discussion over the weekend, this post was edited on Monday, August 12th to clarify the terms and intention of the Render Challenge.

Rowan54

Dragon Queen
Contributing Artist
So it'd be ok to use the Hivewire Housecat, and morphs for it and create a new kitty character? How about a partially repainted skin for a character? (Like adding details that weren't in the purchased skin.)

Miss B

CV-BEE
Oh you can create your own version of the HW House Cat. If you want to add a new skin for it, that would be up to you, but it's the morphing a new character we're really interested in.

I look forward to seeing what you come up with. :)

NapalmArsenal

Distinguished
Contributing Artist
Not sure if I'm allowed to enter, but here's an example.
Queen of Ravens
Queen of Ravens.jpg

Products Used: Dawn SE, Sora for Dawn SE, Dawn Face 1, Dawn Face 2, Skyla for Dawn, Calais Ruff Genesis, Cinderella Dress for Genesis 2, FK Oriana (makeup) Duchess Hair Genesis 2, Evening Gown Gloves Genesis 8

Last edited:

Rowan54

Dragon Queen
Contributing Artist
Where is Grimalkin for Housecat from? I'm not spotting it in this store or several others that I tried. Just curious.

NapalmArsenal

Distinguished
Contributing Artist
Where is Grimalkin for Housecat from? I'm not spotting it in this store or several others that I tried. Just curious.
It's something I'm working on currently for the house cat. Should be out soonish as it's in Beta testing now. It's sort of a cross between Garfield and Chloe from Secret Life of Pets with a splash of Grumpy Cat chocked full of all sorts of ear and eye morphs.

Catula, however, is in the store, and you could probably use that for a bases starter for your character and then go from there if you wanted to. I really wanted to do some TY Beanie Baby type coat patterns for him, but I didn't have the time when he was released.

I suppose I should take a look at the dog at some point, but ......... so wanting to wait for the bulldog!

Rowan54

Dragon Queen
Contributing Artist
It's something I'm working on currently for the house cat. Should be out soonish as it's in Beta testing now.
Ah! I had wondered if it might be something not out yet, as I'd never heard of it. Okay. That settles that.
Actually, I have Catula and Housecat and some ideas. And no, I wasn't going for a 'toon cat. Just that I was going to try to make a cat look like one of my real cats. One of the real characters. Still collecting photos and coming up with ideas.

NapalmArsenal

Distinguished
Contributing Artist
Ah! I had wondered if it might be something not out yet, as I'd never heard of it. Okay. That settles that.
Actually, I have Catula and Housecat and some ideas. And no, I wasn't going for a 'toon cat. Just that I was going to try to make a cat look like one of my real cats. One of the real characters. Still collecting photos and coming up with ideas.
Well, I know, hands down you do excellent photography!! So I can't wait to see what you come up with!! =) Luck to you with this endeavor!

Miss B

CV-BEE
OK folks, just to make some things a little clearer as to what we're looking for. We would like you to take a couple of morph packs for one of the HW figures, for instance Dawn, and instead of using a morph (or morphs) from one pack, we'd like to see you use a morph (or morphs) from a second pack, and then start spinning the dials to create something new, something you wouldn't necessarily be able to create using just one morph pack.

As far as the HW animals are concerned, I'm trying to get a final word on that. I assumed they would be included, but it's possible I miss understood what all the CVs were looking for, so I'll get back to you on that.

@NapalmArsenal - You most certainly can enter the challenge. Just try to create a new character you haven't already created. ;)

Rowan54

Dragon Queen
Contributing Artist
OK folks, just to make some things a little clearer as to what we're looking for. We would like you to take a couple of morph packs for one of the HW figures, for instance Dawn, and instead of using a morph (or morphs) from one pack, we'd like to see you use a morph (or morphs) from a second pack, and then start spinning the dials to create something new, something you wouldn't necessarily be able to create using just one morph pack.

As far as the HW animals are concerned, I'm trying to get a final word on that. I assumed they would be included, but it's possible I miss understood what all the CVs were looking for, so I'll get back to you on that.

Like I'd have to use both the morphs Housecat came with PLUS Catula to come up with something new. (I know, they're trying to sell more morph packs, but since I bought the cat and all the extras I have for it only three days ago, I really think that ought to qualify.) I gotta make cat morphs anyhow, for something else I'm working on so I'm going to continue with what I'm doing. If I can't use it here, well, oh, bother.

Rowan54

Dragon Queen
Contributing Artist
Well, I know, hands down you do excellent photography!! So I can't wait to see what you come up with!! =) Luck to you with this endeavor!
Thank you! However, it's much easier to photograph landscapes than it is cats. (Not unless both the cats and I have had sedatives.) Mostly, I'll be using photos to work from and not as the texture itself.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Like I'd have to use both the morphs Housecat came with PLUS Catula to come up with something new. (I know, they're trying to sell more morph packs, but since I bought the cat and all the extras I have for it only three days ago, I really think that ought to qualify.) I gotta make cat morphs anyhow, for something else I'm working on so I'm going to continue with what I'm doing. If I can't use it here, well, oh, bother.
Hi Rowan, sorry I haven't gotten back to you sooner, but I just wanted to let you know the key word here is "unique", so you can use the resources you recently purchased to make make your character unique so the judges can tell it was something newly created from dial spins. You don't have to purchase any of the items in the Spin To Win Render Challenge Sale Lisa set up. She always has a related sale running while we have one of our render challenges so folks can purchase items they don't have, but would like to have, in order to participate. There's no set rule that says you must use one of the products in the sale. The sale is just available for folks who want to purchase some new items for use in creating their render entries.

HaiGan

Energetic
Contributing Artist
Is it within the spirit of the requirements to use products currently in development and intended for future sale, or should it use ONLY a combination of currently-available products, or could it use currently-available products plus Poser magnets...?

LisaB

HW3D Vice President & Queen Bee
Staff member
Co-Founder
This Render Challenge was communicated to me as a DIAL SPIN challenge and a way to assist people to make more of what they already have in their library. Most folks already have the base figures, the base add-on morph packs and a few characters to work with. The challenge is, load up a figure, dial morphs up or down in various combinations until you have something unique.

The Community Volunteers also asked if we could have some items on sale in case folks wanted to add to the amount of dials available to spin. So we've done that.

Based on the items on sale, the challenge focuses more on human figures than it does animals. Can you use animals? Yes, however, the dials used to create the character need to be already available for all to use, whether purchased or free. (Edit - we have decided to make this challenge for humans only. We will have a separate challenge for animals.)

The objective of the challenge to use what is already available to everyone either via the store or for free in varying degrees of "dial-spin" combination to create something new and unique. Custom morphs created in your modeling programs would not qualify.

Based on feedback here, it may be a good idea to modify this particular challenge be for human figures and then we can have another challenge for animals afterwards.

Last edited:

Miss B

CV-BEE
Based on feedback here, it may be a good idea to modify this particular challenge be for human figures and then we can have another challenge for animals afterwards.
Not a bad idea. One of the CVs had mentioned having separate render challenges, one for humans, and one for animals. I just didn't think running two challenges at the same time would be a good idea.

Having a separate render challenge for the HW animals at some point after the HW humans render challenge has ended, and the winners chosen, is a good way to satisfy those who would prefer to work with the HW animals instead. Thanks for mentioning this as an alternative.

LisaB

HW3D Vice President & Queen Bee
Staff member
Co-Founder
Not sure if I'm allowed to enter, but here's an example.
Queen of Ravens
View attachment 49560
Products Used: Dawn SE, Sora for Dawn SE, Dawn Face 1, Dawn Face 2, Skyla for Dawn, Calais Ruff Genesis, Cinderella Dress for Genesis 2, FK Oriana (makeup) Duchess Hair Genesis 2, Evening Gown Gloves Genesis 8

Yes, of course you are allowed to enter. This is a great example of what dial spinning can do! I would not have known that is the Skyla for Dawn product. While this would not be ineligible, it would be great to create something new specifically for this challenge. That's why it's a "challenge"! ;)