• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

"Spin to Win" Render Challenge! - CLOSED!

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
No, the contest still ends at midnight HW time this Friday, September 6th.

Miss B

CV-BEE
I have Poser Pro 2010, and it has worked under Windows 7 Pro and Windows 10 Pro. I don't know a lot about Poser, so I don't know if certain features are working or not.
As far as Copy Morphs From, and several other items, it's not a matter of "if they work", it's a matter of "are they available". IOW, in the Standard versions of Poser, certain options, such as Copy Morphs From, in the Figure menu aren't available. The same goes for the Fitting Room, which doesn't exist in the Standard versions of Poser either.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Final Render (the dinosaur one): REMOVED
I was going to wait until there was an official ruling on the exact use of SculptedDusk morph dials and whether that would disqualify my original Final Render, but in the mean time I removed the ScuptedDusk morphs entirely... and have decided that I like the results of the background-less test render better anyway, so I'll be posting that instead once I've run a full render.
Noted HaiGan, and I look forward to seeing your revised entry.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Would it be possible to get an answer before the contest ends please.
I'm waiting for Lisa to respond to my query about Sora's morphs, so hopefully I'll get an answer for you before the day's end. She doesn't spend much time on the forum on the weekends.

Miss B

CV-BEE
@tparo - OK, I just took a look, and if you use the Sora INJ option, rather than the SoraCharacter option, you can then use the separate SoraHead and SoraBody morphs, but NOT the full Sora morph (see screenshot below). The dials outlined in white should be good for you to use, but NOT the dial outlined in red.

The SoraCharacter option immediately applies all of her Head and Body morphs, as well as her character skin, so that would NOT be acceptable.

Hopefully Lisa will agree with me.
FingersCrossed.png

SoraMorphs.png

Edited to Add: OK, I just read Satira's two following comments, and I have feeling she's correct that Sora's separate Head and Body morphs won't qualify because she DOES come with textures, which Sculpted Dusk does not. He's just morphs.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I'm not sure that would be allowed Miss B. Remember, Sora was excluded because she's a character, with a texture.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Sculpted Dusk does NOT include textures which is it was determined to be acceptable, as long as the character dial isn't used.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Ahhhhh, thanks for the clarification Satira. I hadn't realized that difference because just using the Sora INJ doesn't load the textures like the SoraCharacter does.

KageRyu

Lost Mad Soul
Contributing Artist
@Miss B , @DanaTA , Some versions of Poser have compatibility issues with some Windows. This can include features missing from menus, menus missing, and items just not working. Poser 7/Pro for example work properly only 75% of the time in Windows 7+. Poser 10/2014/GD has a whole host of problems in Windows Vista and XP and Poser 11 will not even run on XP.
I found the menu option for moving morphs, but no matter how many times I tried it would not move the Body Type morphs to the dress I wanted. Other morphs appeared to move but the dials did nothing. I do not know if this was one of these compatibility issues or the dress in question.

Miss B

CV-BEE
I don't think I've tried copying one of Ken's Body Types to a dress, so I'm going to try it and see.

As far as issues with Poser and different Windows versions, my first version of Poser was P5, and I had it installed on my old Win98SE desktop. Aside from really hating the UI, I had issues with it, and it could very well have been that really old Windows version. Then I left Poser and switched to DS on my old WinXP Pro laptop. I did purchase P7 but never got to install it, because that laptop finally died, and for whatever reason, I never installed it on this Win7 Pro laptop, but purchased P9, and now have PP11 as well, and I've not had any problems with either of these versions with this OS. Would P9 have worked on WinXP, have not a clue, but I suppose it's possible I would've come across issues if I still had that laptop.

Miss B

CV-BEE
@KageRyu - OK, I ran a quick render to show you, and I don't know which Body Type and/or which dress you're trying this with, but I had no problem at all. One thing you might not be aware of, but copying one of Ken's Body Type morphs doesn't automatically adjust the dress to that Body Type. You have to go into the dress' parameters and set the Morph > Body Type to 1.0.

Here's Dawn wearing Ken's Cheonsam Dress with Body Type-8 copied from Dawn to the Dress.

BodyType8Test.jpg

Here's a screenshot of what I was talking about when I said you have to set the Body Type to 1.0 for the Dress. Poser only copies the morph, it doesn't set it automatically as it does when injecting it to Dawn.

MorphActivation.jpg

tparo

Engaged
QAV-BEE
I was asking about the individual extra morphs that come with Sora. But don't worry about it its much too late. I really don't understand why the challenges here have to be so confusing, to me a dial spun character is just that- a character spun from the dials availble to me, not something dialled from a selection of dials and that selection is open to debate and confusion.

3WC

Engaged
Contributing Artist
In determining what a "character" is, think about its definition. In a book, play or movie, a character is a person with a name or designation; eg, Dusk, Dawn, Ruckus, Sora, waiter, bus driver. Or it is an animal or creature; eg, Gorilla, Horse, Vampire. It could even be an anthropomorphized object, but in that case it still stands in for a person.

A character is not simply a quality; eg, Sculpted, Muscular, Tall.

@MissB, my tongue-in-cheek comment about restarting the contest was due to the fact that, if we seek to further restrict the rules beyond what was written in the first post, it is unfair to those who posted an entry according to the written rules as defined. There was enough debate and changing of the rules at the beginning; it is now much too late for any further changes or refinement. (Just my personal opinion, expressed, I hope, without any ill-will).

KageRyu

Lost Mad Soul
Contributing Artist
@Miss B Poser 9/2012 work great on XP - and I still use it and Poser Pro(7) for the bulk of my work (mainly because of not only issues with P2014GD, but plug ins not supported in 2014 and that hateful annoying License Manager needing to re-up at the worst times).
With the transfer of the Body Type morphs I meant that the dials did not show up on the target dress after several attempts to copy from. I'll figure something out.

Mustakettu85

Motivated
I don't think that will work, mostly because it won't be viewable by anyone who only uses Poser, especially one of the judges.

That said, I can well understand not wanting to write out all the dial spin settings. so I think screenshots will work best. I can combine them into one, or two, screenshots when I gather them up for preparing everything for the judges to view, so don't worry about there being several. Some folks did screenshots of their DS settings, and I combined them to make it easier to work with for uploading to the private judging forum. That's not a problem.

Okay, thanks for clarification!

LisaB

HW3D Vice President & Queen Bee
Staff member
Co-Founder
Would it be possible to get an answer before the contest ends please.
Yes, they can be used. So can her textures. It's the Sora Character as a whole that cannot.

This is a render challenge about what you can create by spinning dials that are not already character presets.

I don't understand all of the confusion. Make your own unique character using morph dials. Your own = made by YOUR combination of dial spins. Unique = not a premade character or character deriviative. Morph dials = shaping morphs for various body parts

If you would like to do this challenge again, we certainly can outline everything more clearly in the guidelines and do it again.

Miss B

CV-BEE
With the transfer of the Body Type morphs I meant that the dials did not show up on the target dress after several attempts to copy from. I'll figure something out.
Oh, yes that would definitely be frustrating. I've never seen that happen before.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Yes, they can be used. So can her textures. It's the Sora Character as a whole that cannot.

This is a render challenge about what you can create by spinning dials that are not already character presets.

I don't understand all of the confusion. Make your own unique character using morph dials. Your own = made by YOUR combination of dial spins. Unique = not a premade character or character deriviative. Morph dials = shaping morphs for various body parts

If you would like to do this challenge again, we certainly can outline everything more clearly in the guidelines and do it again.
Thank you Lisa! I'm glad you stepped in and settled this question.