• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

RELEASED Sora's Tenacity Twin Tails!

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
OK... that didn't work out very well. I tried setting up a fit for Tina since she's not as petite as Diva. Tried getting the bones to align to the new height... the hair did very odd things, like seemed to split into two separate hairs. Bones were all over the viewport, quite messy looking so just closed DS so I wouldn't loose my previous work. I think fits that requite height may have to just be parented to the figure. If Paul sees this post maybe he can give us some knowledge in how to go about this. I can do short and medium length hair refits just fine but you get into long hair, esp if there are extra bones it can get tricky. This hair prop has what looks to be hundreds of bones in the tails, no lie.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Yep...that was what I found when I tried realigning the bones. I'm not sure how Paul set the rig up but it doesn't like being realigned which is why I parented and scaled instead. When I tried to export and import the object as a morph it wasn't working despite having lowered the resolution as you are supposed to...so I settled for parenting and saving as a smart prop. Haven't tried reloading it yet though and yes there are many, many bones.

Lorraine

The Wicked Witch of the North
I'll be another getting these, Ram, as I'm not an anime user either, will be great to be able to use realistic mats :)

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
Yep...that was what I found when I tried realigning the bones. I'm not sure how Paul set the rig up but it doesn't like being realigned which is why I parented and scaled instead. When I tried to export and import the object as a morph it wasn't working despite having lowered the resolution as you are supposed to...so I settled for parenting and saving as a smart prop. Haven't tried reloading it yet though and yes there are many, many bones.
Yes, many many many bones! lol Never seen so many. I'm up and moving around so may try a refit of the cap in ZBrush after moving the hair down to Tina and Diva's heights. I also have Bruna to see about, she's also shorter than Dawn or Sora. Interesting issue to see about with this particular hair prop!

CG Cubed

Technical Director
Staff member
HW3D Exclusive Artist
OK, let us see if I can break this down in some bite size chunks...

Working in DS: If the base figure morphs are set to auto follow, they will generate new morphs into conforming figures, when you dial them. This is the norm for conforming clothing and hair.

So this projection is based on the default settings which can be seen in the Transfer Utility. Basically the projection is set at a minimum so the further away points are from the base figure, the less they will be affected.

Now, add a conforming rig. No real issues since this will follow the base figure rig. But if you also add independent rigging, that is not the same as the base figure, you add bones that want to maintain their position because nothing is moving them.

This is the case for the HW Horse mane and Tenacity Twin Tails. So how do we get things to follow correctly? We can do this with the Horse so we know it is possible.

I can cover the basics here. This will assume some knowledge of DS tools.

You must create a morph for the hair that moves both position and shape, when it is not conformed.

Export the Base Figure morph you want it to follow and export the base hair. Take them into your modeling software and make the hair morph.

Load this back into DS as a morph onto the hair that is NOT fit to the Base figure.

Use the adjust rigging to shape for all the independent bones. Do not include the bones that are the same as the Base Figure (these will auto follow.)

ERC the bones to the morph. Zero the figure and fit it to the base figure, dial your morph and all should work. Make sure to save your hair morph.

Hope this sheds a little light.

CG Cubed

Technical Director
Staff member
HW3D Exclusive Artist
You could also try creating your morph with the Transfer Utility, using higher projection settings but it probably won't work for the Twin Tails, since they are really long. Just remember to un-conform/un-fit the hair before you Adjust Rigging to Shape.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Thanks Paul...that might be why I was having an issue as I was loading the morph while it was fitted to Dawn. I'll give it a try later today.