• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Songbird Remix's Product Preview Thread

Stezza

Dances with Bees
I'd love to be able to understand kookaburra talk..

we have a family of a dozen or more here and the other morning they were all laughing for about an hour..
You can tell who the city folk are in my area as they complain about it.. they soon get told to pack up and git back to the city lol

MEC4D

Zbrushing through the topology
Contributing Artist
I always wondered why they using Kookaburra's " laughing" call in every movie in a jungle , when it is not a bird from a jungle

Ken Gilliland

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
I always wondered why they using Kookaburra's " laughing" call in every movie in a jungle , when it is not a bird from a jungle
It started being used in the early 1930's with the advent of "talkies", and since then has been forever labeled the iconic "jungle bird" song. Since then it made vocal appearances in films such as The Wizard of Oz (1939), The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (1948), Swiss Family Robinson (1960), Cape Fear (1962), Raiders of the Lost Ark, The Lost World: Jurassic Park and many others.

That Jungle Sound - The Sound and the Foley
Of Tarzan and Kookaburras - The Sound and the Foley

Interestingly, you'll find that the Cooper's Hawk call (click the top one) is a little bit like it

Last edited:

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Wow, I never realized that sound was from a bird. I always thought it was a human creating the sound effect.

MEC4D

Contributing Artist
It started being used in the early 1930's with the advent of "talkies", and since then has been forever labeled the iconic "jungle bird" song. Since then it made vocal appearances in films such as The Wizard of Oz (1939), The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (1948), Swiss Family Robinson (1960), Cape Fear (1962), Raiders of the Lost Ark, The Lost World: Jurassic Park and many others.

That Jungle Sound - The Sound and the Foley
Of Tarzan and Kookaburras - The Sound and the Foley

Interestingly, you'll find that the Cooper's Hawk call (click the top one) is a little bit like it
as a child I always believed it was the monkey doing the iconic jungle sound in the movies you mentioned lol.

I use the same website for checking the birds calls , since not knowing well all the North American birds and their calls.

Ken Gilliland

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
...I use the same website for checking the birds calls , since not knowing well all the North American birds and their calls.
Yes, Cornell Lab's "All About Birds" is probably the best and easiest to use website for North American birds and their ID. They acquired the HBW website a few years ago from Lynx Edicions (they make great books!- I own their HBW Volumes 1/2 and use them constantly to help me select what birds should go into new sets).

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I love the Cornell Lab's All About Birds website, as well as the Cornell Lab's Merlin phone app.

As well as bird/animal sounds that don't belong to a location, the film industry will also use sounds that don't belong to a featured animal/bird. In films with Bald Eagles soaring in the sky, that long piercing call we often hear is a Red Tailed Hawk. Bald Eagles don't sound quite as majestic.

Ken Gilliland

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Here a first render of the male superb Lyrebird with a wip texture... I'll probably add some morphs for the filametaries (the wispy tail feathers). I want the ability to widen them. The tail stands at 184 different body parts.

1623716310722.png

Ken Gilliland

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
It gets it name from the two outside "lyre-shaped" feathers (Lyrates). The males of both species have the fluffy inner feathers (filamentaries). The females have shorter, simpler tails with solid feathers instead the filamentaries. Both the Alberts and the females of both species have the Lyrate patterning on the outer tail feathers but lack the lyre shaping. While its tail is the notable physical feature on this species... it is its mimicry abilities that everyone gets excited about...

MEC4D

Contributing Artist
Nice work Ken

I saw it once in a documentary his mimicking abilities are great,
he even mimic the Kookaburras call in the zoo and Star Wars sound effects ? lol

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Lyre's calls are amazing.

My dad and uncle were walking in the bush where there was no vehicles let alone a train and they swore it sounded like the were going to get rain over by one. It was like they could hear it from a distance, then approach right by then go off into the distance again. They knew it was a Lyre but it sounded so real.

Ken Gilliland

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
My update to Songbird ReMix Australia v1 is now available. I'm often jaded by the volume of work and repetitive checking in creating my sets, but even I did a "wow" as I was replaced the old versions images with the new ones in the store.

I've put it, plus the updated Australia v2 and Bowerbird set on 30% off sale for a couple weeks to reintroduce them. Australia v3 will be updated at the start of next year since I need to update all seabirds first. Australia v4 (the Lyrebird set) is almost finished with its beta, and after QA testing at Renderosity, will appear as well (I'm guessing 4th of Julyish).

My Nature's Wonders Cicada set is moving along and will probably start betas around the time Lyrebirds is released. That will allow me to start work on what I'm really excited to start, the updates to Amazon and Yucatan, as well as Second Edition and Cool and Unusual Birds v2. Somewhere in July/August, I'll probably squeeze in a new Bee-eaters and/or Kingfisher set too.

Last edited:

Ken Gilliland

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
A couple things....

First of all my new "Australia v4: Lyrebirds of the World" is out. In a small change, I decided to experiment with the Superfly rendering (in that set) , moving from the traditional material node to the Physical material node base. This should speed-up and improve SF renders-- please share with me whether its working well for you and I'll consider doing future sets that way. My Cicadas of the World set should be emerging in a week or two as well.

Renderosity still has their store-wide 50% sale on for some reason-- maybe its been extended again or somebody forgot to turn it off. When it does finally end, you'll still find that my store will have some items on sale until July 24th at 30% off. I scheduled an Australian bird sale to help introduce lyrebirds. The Lyrebird set plus the updates of Australia v1-2, Art Treasures from the Bowerbird Collection, as well the the Australian hawks mini-set, Kiwis and the Kiwi burrow will be featured.

Meanwhile, I'm working on the update to Second Edition, finishing the Kookaburras yesterday. My hope is to get the updates Second Edition and Cool and Unusual Birds v2 out by the end of the month and Yucatan-Amazon by the end of August. I might have a new Kingfisher or Bee-eater set by then. I did sort of want to have a second Bees of the World volume for the Bee-eaters release, so Kingfishers is more likely to be first. Bee-eaters, besides eating the obvious (bees), do eat Cicadas. Murder Hornets, Carpenter Bees and the Tarantula Wasps will be in that second set.