• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Songbird Remix's Product Preview Thread

Lyne

Distinguished
HW Honey Bear
oooooo a peacock by YOU would be SOMETHING! I'm SURE this would be a real money maker Ken, as people love to add the male with the tail fanned to art work!!!!!!!

Also once you get all the types done, maybe you could sell mini packs or the base model and add on's of other types/colors to help the pricing... Just a thought... and a "vote" for that bird especially! :)

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
I've needed white peacocks for some time. Will just have to go on wanting for a while.

Ken Gilliland

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
oooooo a peacock by YOU would be SOMETHING! I'm SURE this would be a real money maker Ken, as people love to add the male with the tail fanned to art work!!!!!!!

Also once you get all the types done, maybe you could sell mini packs or the base model and add on's of other types/colors to help the pricing... Just a thought... and a "vote" for that bird especially! :)

Thanks. Strangely, I never selected my prospective bird projects for their profit margins. They get selected primarily because I want to create them or because I think the species is important to showcase for awareness or education. Way down on my decision list is that there has been a number of requests for them or it will make me some money.

Last edited:

Ken Gilliland

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Here's a test render of my brown kiwi as I continue to refine the texture and shape... The plants in the background are New Zealand species from XFrog's Oceania plant sets.

Kiwirendertest.jpg

Lorraine

The Wicked Witch of the North
Nice, Ken! Looking very relaxed and at home.

I've made a bit of a collection of NZ trees and plants (funny that). Dinoraul at Rendo has Puka, Agathis (kauri), Cabbage Tree and Dicksonia (punga). Stonemason's Enchanted Forest has also got punga, NZ ferns and small plants and trees plus a large tree very like the Northern Rata, I also use it for beach scenes as it looks very like the pohutukawa that lines our coast, they are of the same family. I have also found some other trees that mimic some of ours, I will find them in my runtime and post.

Ken Gilliland

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Here's another render, this time showing the transparency mapped fur-like feathers... I don't think I could do much better unless I used a hair system like LAMH. I'm still a little unhappy with the bill bristles (whiskers), I think varying them more is probably the right direction through the trans-maps and maybe geometry. Once I get this texture set and UVs tweaked to correct any stretching, I'll use this texture as a base for creating the 5 species.

This also shows a couple of the poses, based on photos of kiwis.

Kiwirendertest2.jpg

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Yes! I can almost see me running my fingers through that fur. Well maybe not, as I suspect the Kiwi wouldn't be too happy. ;)

Lorraine

The Wicked Witch of the North
Loving these, Ken, getting bouncy in my seat!

No, Miss B, the kiwi would not be a happy kiwi. My husband found a kiwi that had been killed by a vehicle and brought it home. The feathers are so soft and fluffy, like down on a duckling. We informed DOC (dept of conservation) and they came and picked the kiwi up.

Ken Gilliland

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
I know it's been a couple days since my last post, I've ended up reworking my UVs because of some stretching and symmetry issues and adding a few more morphs. Now, that the path is clear, I'll be able to start defining the species and building the set which I'll start to share next week. While this image looks pretty close to others I posted, you'll notice some refinements like the bill bristles and more thickness in the neck.

kiwirendertest4.jpg

Last edited:

Ken Gilliland

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
All the Kiwi species I'll doing will be very similar to the untrained eye, but to a birder, there are significant differences. Here's a quick primer:
  • Greater Spotted Kiwi... largest kiwi, straight bill, darker head, gray neck and under sides, large spotted body. The feet and bill is pink colored with gray-pink upper mandibles.
  • Little Spotted Kiwi... smallest kiwi, straight bill, browner than the "Greater" with smaller spots. The feet and bill is ivory to pink colored.
  • Northern Brown Kiwi... Mid-sized kiwi, long and slightly curved bill, darker head, gray-brown neck and under sides with dark streaking, coarse fur-like brown feathers with tinged of yellow to gray-white. Feet are pale with brown scutes (plating).
  • Southern Brown Kiwi... Mid-sized kiwi, long and slightly curved bill, darker head, gray-brown neck and under sides, soft fur-like brown feathers with tinged of rufous. Slate to cream-color bill with blue-gray feet.
    • Subspecies- The Southern Fiordland kiwi is a grayer brown and the Haast southern brown kiwi has a much more pronounced curve to it's bill and it's distinctive rufous plumage. There is very little differences in the other subspecies other than the locations in which they are found.
  • Okarito Kiwi... Mid-sized kiwi, a short curved bill, gray-brown in color with pink to pale brown feet and bill.

Here's the first species... the Greater Spotted Kiwi

Greater Spotted Kiwis.jpg

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Cute little fella (love the texture on the legs Ken, and of course awesome fluffiness) :)