• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Songbird Remix's Product Preview Thread

Lyne

Distinguished
HW Honey Bear
That's interesting...(head bobbing)... and question.... do all Kiwi's go around looking down? (I'm still trying to figure out how/what kind of art piece to make with a kiwi bird that would create interest in the public's eye...)

PS and am thinking it would be good to put a link below any kiwi art I do, to a page telling about it's plight...

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
That's interesting...(head bobbing)... and question.... do all Kiwi's go around looking down? (I'm still trying to figure out how/what kind of art piece to make with a kiwi bird that would create interest in the public's eye...)

PS and am thinking it would be good to put a link below any kiwi art I do, to a page telling about it's plight...

I'm sure they do look forward (in order to see what's in front of them) and at each other, and probably even up occasionally. The poses I chosen to use are for the most part "foraging" poses which is their most common behavior (or at least the one most photographed). Much like the Nightjars, they're nocturnal and secretive, so photo opportunities are limited and there isn't a huge amount of data on behavior. They can outrun a human, so I'm guessing they do that eyes forward ;)

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
though they have adequate eye sight Kiwi's mainly use smell and a sensitive beak An unusual beak and whiskers

Yes, the nostrils are at the end of the beak (rather than in the usual spot close to the eyes). Also kiwis are flexible beaks that will bend a little unlike any other bird (and yes, there are morphs in the model to do that).

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I think it's welcome back, though I don't think he posted much on the forums. He did, however, enter Ken's Audubon render challenge, so he's been here on the old forum. Just not sure how much, if at all, he actually participated in the forum.

Lorraine

The Wicked Witch of the North
OMG that emu video was hilarious! Someone should book those birds for Dancing with the Stars!

And welcome back, Szark, nice te see ya!

Szark

Awesome
Thanks folks. Lyne yeah I was on the old forums but never really contributed much. To be honest I am that busy I don't even post much on the DAZ3D forums anymore. Nice to see HW finally got some CV's around here...nice choice.

I have a fondness for Kiwi's. Every time I went to Auckland Zoo I made a bee line for the Kiwi house.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Welcome back Szark. I can't wait to see more of your incredible work. Bet you will do something really cool with the Kiwis too.

The Community Volunteers have been around since June 2014. Rick, Vask, and I were the first CVs, but the "HW3D Community Volunteer" may not have stood out as much as the bright CV-BEE flag does. With the new forums, additional CVs were recruited, so we're probably a lot more obvious now :wink:

Szark

Awesome
Thanks Satira the feeling is mutual. Yeah I can't wait to get my hand on the Kiwis. Yeah I have some different planned for this year's contest. Been giving it a lot of thought recently.

As for CV's sorry I hadn't noticed, yes it does stand out more now. I only have one concern in having Miss B as a CV in that if I misbehave I will end up in the naughty corner again.

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
cool videos, laughed pretty hard at those emus... I am wondering what species that kiwi is in the video-- I haven't seen one with that much white on the cheeks and throat-- the Okarito has some but not that much... maybe it's part albino or leucistic?

edit: Looking at the actual YouTube page, I got some clues... it was spotted on the Purerua Peninsula which means it's either a Great and Little Spotted Kiwi (although it appears to lack the spots). It's probably an odd variant of the Little Spotted since that species has some lightness to the neck.

Last edited:

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
I made this map of New Zealand for the manual with all the spots specific kiwis are found...

Picture1.jpg

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
As for CV's sorry I hadn't noticed, yes it does stand out more now. I only have one concern in having Miss B as a CV in that if I misbehave I will end up in the naughty corner again.
I wondered how long it would take you to mention that. ~sigh~