• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Songbird Remix's Product Preview Thread

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
@Ken Gilliland soooo when do we get our hands on your wonderful new "2016 Robin base"?? (she says greedily) :)

I'm guessing I won't have the first volume of Asia ready by my Audubon's birthday deadline, so the key feature of the sale will be the base updates (which of course support the bulk of my catalog). The bases I'm planning to update are: Songbird, G (amebird), H (ummingbird), P (arrot), S (yndatcyl), Z(ygodactyl), all the WF's, Toucan, Turkey, Vulture, Condor and Pelican. We'll see how many I get done in time. As you can see from the list-- that's a lot of work.

Since these base conversions are going to require testing, I'm guessing they will be available during the sale via my website as opposed to in the individual sets at Hivwire. To be honest, I'd rather recode the individual birds in each set to automatically take advantage of the new features f I'll formally updating the set for Hivewire, anyways. ... and that, given that I'm looking at 700-800 conversions will take place over the next year.

I'm hoping, while I won't have anything brand new for the sale, that customers will take advantage to fill out their avian collection with existing products they don't have and try-out the new enhanced bases., and help me to help Audubon save real birds with their purchases during my charity event.

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Here's the WF4-7, 10 and Flamingo enhancement I just finished-- it should make for a much nice looking shorebird
2016sbrmchanges2.jpg

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Much nicer join Ken...did you have to redo the legs or were you able to just create a better join? Looks great...

Szark

Awesome
Sweet news Ken...I must pull my finger out and get my list of birds together for updates etc. Just getting the time to do it at the moment is hard enough. Really appreciate the continued effort in making your bases better.

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Much nicer join Ken...did you have to redo the legs or were you able to just create a better join? Looks great...

Changing the geometry throws a money wrench into compatibility with older products so the changes is simply a morph-- pushing polygons a little to make a better blend. The hip/thigh issue in the older models has bugged me for a long time, hopefully this approach will help.

I've posted a cool image in my Nature's Wonders thread inspiring me to make damselflies sometime in the future

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Okay... I thought you'd actually changed the geometry from looking at the images. It's great that you were able to do that!

That's a great image and I would love a Damselfly...

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
LOL. I'm just teasing, Ken. Between what you do so well and the excellent beta testing of Flint, it makes our job almost easy!

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
I've been cleaning up, improving and adding morphs and smarter code to the Songbird Remix model bases (to premiere at my Audubon's Birthday event). I've added smart code that automatically figures out that if, for example you have a swallow model loaded, it should automatically load the proper morph to give you a Swallow-like wingfold or with a Honeycreeper beak, the special deformer morphs are automatically added to open and close the beak properly. I've added a true swallow/swift wingfold and a smarter tailfold with a split option to the arsenal of morphs. Here's another teaser of the subtle changes you can expect in my model sets...

BetterSwallowPromo.jpg

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Apart for the hugely time-consuming task of updating the SBRM models, I find myself caring for two needy birds all day long...

of course, there's Elsa, my 20 yr-old Citron-Cuckatoo, who thinks she's still 2 1/2yrs old child (and will so for the rest of her life (approx 30-50 yrs more)

...for the last week, I've also been caring for a Band-tailed Pigeon nestling who got displaced. Band-tails are large pigeons (bigger than rock doves aka feral/street pigeons). Band-tails are yellow-listed (close to threatened) and are only found along the west coast of the Americas (primarily NA). They require forested areas to survive and are the nearest relative to the extinct Passenger Pigeon.

We're hoping to release him/her in another week with the rest of the Band-tailed flock that visits on yard daily once he/she starts feeding solid food.

littleDude.JPG

The adult Band-tailed pigeon is a real beauty and in my Gamebirds set...
Pigeon, Band-tailed6.jpg

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
How is the Band-tailed Pigeon nestling doing Ken?

We released "Junior" over the weekend after about 2 weeks in our care. We wanted to make sure he had made the adjustment from eating Exact Parrot Chow to seeds before his release. He flew to a nearby tree and hung about there for a couple hours. Another young Band-tailed landed about 5 feet from him and they both left together with our resident BT Pigeon flock (about 40-60 birds in all).

---

TODAY: April 12th...
Bald Eagle Live Chat with Expert Dr. Peter Sharpe

The magnificent birds of the Sauces Bald Eagle Nest on Santa Cruz Island, CA are raising two eaglets, protecting them from the elements and tenderly feeding them beak-to-beak.

It's a perfect time to learn all about these largest of raptors from our Sauces live-cam partner, Institute for Wildlife Studies and its program manager and research ecologist Dr. Peter Sharpe.

Join us on the Sauces Bald Eagle Cam today, April 12th at 12pm PT to ask Peter about his work in bald eagle restoration on Santa Cruz Island, wildlife conservation, and the life-cycles of bald eagles and other raptors! Simply type your questions in the comments section below the player. We can't wait to hear from you!

Never stop learning,

The Explore Team