• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Songbird Remix's Product Preview Thread

mininessie

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
The DAZ Songbird isn't one of my products. Anything with "Songbird ReMix" is...

As far as updates on the cr2 bases, I haven't decided on the best route for an update (I don't really want to have Hivewire spending time updating every one of my sets. I'm more inclined to post the updates on my website downloads and maybe links here.
i have Daz songbirds and have your songbird remix original from Daz too...i downloaded your freebies from your page
and have the raven from here,so i have room to work! :D

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
After watching that video I am speechless! That is a powerful message Ken!

yes it is...

----

My Asian bird sets have taken a backseat over the last week as I finish up the remodeling my website... I should get back to work on them by the end of the week.

I did finish up a couple sections on the website which I thought this thread's followers would find interesting....

Photos of the Flora & Fauna of my house... The Flora and Fauna of Quail Hollow
The Songbird ReMix Hall of Fame section (which now includes all the contest winning images)... Songbird ReMix Hall of Fame

Lyne

Distinguished
HW Honey Bear
I watched it... did have a bit of a hang up when youtube put a flash player screen up with "s.ytmg.com" wanted to use space... read up on google, it's something most users do NOT need to allow... managed to open both the youtube and my own settings panel, so this "website" was showing in my global privacy settings, mark NEVER allow and then the trailer showed/played without my Flash Player settings request for storage getting STUCK on top of the film image... whew! Noting it here in case anyone else runs into this, as the trailer is important!

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
In creating my Songbird ReMix Asia set, I found that the older model cr2's weren't really holding up too well to my current level of quality. This wasn't too surprising considering the age of the model bases. Rather that release a sub-par set of products, I decided it was time to update many of my Songbird ReMix bases. The trick is to keep compatibility with the hundreds of birds I've created already while improving the overall appearance.

I think I've found a happy middle ground, keeping compatibility but offering some long deserved changes. The biggest issue to me with 13yr old Songbird ReMix model has been the hip to thigh connections. While not perfect, I think I've found a solution by creating a morph that better blends that connection.

Other changes include all morphs now found in the BODY section (as my newer birds have) and smart controls that automatically apply morphs depending on the species of bird (for example; no longer do have have to select the special "Gamebird-WingFold" when have a dove-- it figures it out automatically when you dial the normal "WingFold" morph). All the older morphs are still selectable in the separate body part sections, but now appear in a collapsed "Legacy Controls" folder. This will allow the older bird sets to still work. I'll include several maintenance poses that clear the legacy settings in favor of the new settings and vice-versa. Maybe, at some time in the future, I'll do the grueling task of actually converting the 800+ birds to the newer format-- but no promises there lol.

At this point it's hard to tell whether the first of my Asian series will appear in time of April's Audubon event, but I do expect most of the new bases to be ready by then. Updates, as always, will be free. Hivewire3D does offer an account transfer of my products (from my old vendor to Hivewire3D). See the forum post for more details. As you can see below, the newer CR2 icons will carry the "2016" label as opposed to the older "3".

2016sbrmchanges1.jpg

Boni

Inspired

Ken: I love your birds, your mission and the wonderful work you do. (I've often wondered if your Pheonix was the one used in "Harry Potter and the Camber of Secrets")

My question is this.

Do you have an Osprey in any of your sets? I live in western Washington State and on a High Pole (built for the nest) near the city park is an Osprey nest. We watch the Ospries come every year and fish in the nearby river. We love their call and to watch their little ones learn to fly each year. I would love to add that to my runtime to add something of who I am to my work. Thank you for your time.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
That's a beautiful looking bird Boni, and welcome to the HiveWire Forums. :)

Boni

Inspired
My little story may seem silly. I'm new to HiveWire, and I love what I see so far. Several years ago we had a house with a whole in the eaves that attracted starlings. Unfortunately it lead to our fire place. The good news is we had converted the fireplace to a gas insert. Well, the birds who nested, had babies who perodically would fall down behind the insert. (we since blocked the hole). I failed to save several babies ... but one. He became my friend. I called him "Chirpie" and fed him soaked cat food ... he thrived and I released him to the back yard where he continued to chirp at me every morning for as long as we lived there. I just wanted to share.

P.S. Tnank you so much for the wonderful welcome.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Beautiful story Boni...it's hard work to save baby birds...they often don't survive. I've rescued a few from cats over the years.

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Welcome to Hivewire, Boni and as Flint Hawk said, yes I have an Osprey (available in either the mini-set or the full Hawks of the New World package). You can as find what birds I do have available through my online bird encyclopedia (and the title page features my Ospreys).

We're nursing a nestling too right now... whenever the neighborhood finds a stranded nestling or injured bird, the bird ends up at our doorstep.

For babies, I suggest using Kaytee's Exact nestling formula and then Exact Parrot chow soaked in hot water for older nestlings. We support Kaytee because they also make great, healthy food for birds and do donate a portion of their revenue to protect wild birds such as the Hyacinth Macaws in Brazil.