• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Songbird Remix's Product Preview Thread

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Here's my light fixtures and 1928 Frigidaire
SSH Fixtures-Refrigerator.jpg

SSH-Fixtures Light Fixture.jpg

Harimau

Eager
An interesting snippet:

Meet Natovenator polydontus, a newfound species of goose-like dromaeosaur - the dinosaur group that contains Velociraptor - that has adaptations that hint at an ability to dive underwater. Modern seabirds thrive at and beyond the water’s edge as do Mesozoic marine proto-birds like Ichthyornis and Hesperornis. This is the first case among non-avian dinosaurs showing a streamlined ribcage like those seen in many modern semi-aquatic animals adapted to swimming. Halszkaraptor, a closely related dromaeosaur discovered in 2017, was described as a potential swimmer but its fossilized rib cage was not preserved well enough to discern the crucial traits. For more information see Could dinosaurs swim? A new fossil revives an age-old debate., Natovenator - Wikipedia.

A reconstruction of Natovenator polydontus,
goose-2.jpg

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Another updated project to be released in December is my 2012 Ostrich Sulky... of course this already had a 3DL version for DAZ Studio but now there's Superfly/Iray-- plus more materials, more human driver support (G8, Dawn/Dusk, La Femme/L'Homme, V4/M4) and a section to the manual that explains how to use IK on the Reins in DAZ Studio. The main image promo also shows that I'm getting work on "Pixel Downs Racetrack" update done too ;)

SBRM_OstrichSulky_Main.jpg
SBRM_OstrichSulky_Promo1.jpg
SBRM_OstrichSulky_Promo2.jpg

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
Including the name of a real historical ostrich farm, too. I know Crawston's is long gone. Is Ken & Rhoda's actually a hypothetical business of yours?

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Including the name of a real historical ostrich farm, too. I know Crawston's is long gone. Is Ken & Rhoda's actually a hypothetical business of yours?
Yes, just having some fun... there are no ostriches any where near us-- I know of ones in Escondido, Buellton and Gilroy. Our featured species on our property is California Quail. The sulky was requested by a customer shortly after I created the ostrich. I seemed like a fun diversion so did it.

The Ostrich model (as well as most of Cool & Unusual Birds v3) came about thanks to a "Hall of Birds" spec project I did for the Field Museum. The museum ended up not selecting the project, but as part of the agreement, I did reserve rights to use/sell it as part of my SBRM library.

Last edited:

eclark1894

Visionary
The oven reminds me of one of those old Easy-Bake ovens my nieces used to play with with we were kids. Come to think of it, I haven't seen a toilet like that since I was a kid either. :)

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
with a fully adjustable TP holder which you just spin around to suit either the overs or unders.... genius :geek: :geek:
We actually have one of those in our guest house.

The oven reminds me of one of those old Easy-Bake ovens my nieces used to play with with we were kids. Come to think of it, I haven't seen a toilet like that since I was a kid either. :)

The oven is based on a 1910 one. It was a very common design for that period. The Victorian WC is also around the same period. The refrigerator is based on a 1928 Frigidaire.

Today I'm going to work the textures for my newly created models. I think I'll finish off the set with a clawfoot tub and an exterior carriage light. I was going to call it "Seashore House Furnishings" but now I'm inclined to call it "Vintage Furnishings" so it hints you can use it beyond that one product. After I get that squared away I'll continue to get Seashore House updated (it's about 65% done). My hope is to have the furnishings, Seashore House and Ostrich Sulky ready for Christmas.

So what do I have left in updates? January will be Pixel Downs, the Starting Gate (Nerd3D's set-- but told him I'd update it for him) and maybe a new Pixel Downs add-on (a covered grandstand filled super low-res people). February- Mission Bells, the Elegant Swan and Optics and in March-- the Hawaiian Stuff (Hula for Dawn/for G8, Royal Hawaiian for Dusk/G8, Hawaiian Voyager and Weapons of Lua). April will have the last item in my Catalog to update... Duck Pond (which will have lots of new plants added).

I still haven't chosen my new Nature's Wonders and Songbird ReMix sets to do... but I have massive wishlists for both. One thing I do want to do (on my personal wishlist) is figure out how to take my NW's plants and create sets for UltraScenery.

Something else is that February 2023 will be the 20th Anniversary of the birth of the Songbird ReMix series. I haven't decided if I want to do something special that month or wait until April for my Audubon Event.

eclark1894

Visionary
We actually have one of those in our guest house.

The oven is based on a 1910 one. It was a very common design for that period. The Victorian WC is also around the same period. The refrigerator is based on a 1928 Frigidaire.

Today I'm going to work the textures for my newly created models. I think I'll finish off the set with a clawfoot tub and an exterior carriage light. I was going to call it "Seashore House Furnishings" but now I'm inclined to call it "Vintage Furnishings" so it hints you can use it beyond that one product. After I get that squared away I'll continue to get Seashore House updated (it's about 65% done). My hope is to have the furnishings, Seashore House and Ostrich Sulky ready for Christmas.

So what do I have left in updates? January will be Pixel Downs, the Starting Gate (Nerd3D's set-- but told him I'd update it for him) and maybe a new Pixel Downs add-on (a covered grandstand filled super low-res people). February- Mission Bells, the Elegant Swan and Optics and in March-- the Hawaiian Stuff (Hula for Dawn/for G8, Royal Hawaiian for Dusk/G8, Hawaiian Voyager and Weapons of Lua). April will have the last item in my Catalog to update... Duck Pond (which will have lots of new plants added).

I still haven't chosen my new Nature's Wonders and Songbird ReMix sets to do... but I have massive wishlists for both. One thing I do want to do (on my personal wishlist) is figure out how to take my NW's plants and create sets for UltraScenery.

Something else is that February 2023 will be the 20th Anniversary of the birth of the Songbird ReMix series. I haven't decided if I want to do something special that month or wait until April for my Audubon Event.
1910 and 1928 seem like another time. It's hard to believe that for me, at least, that that was only 40 and 30 years before I was born, so when I was growing up, occasionally I would go and stay with my sister and her husband out in the country, and run into stoves and toilets like that. I've even used an outhouse on occasion. Maybe you should make one for your Seashore House.:)

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
1910 and 1928 are way before my time too... technically, I'm a baby boomer since I was born in mid 1959. Seashore House, itself is based on real building plans from the turn of the century. The house has a couple bathroom, although not much bigger than outhouses. I had a second model I started after Seashore House never finished (that I recently stumbled upon) called Lakefront House-- another house from real building plans. Maybe some day I'll finish that.

Screenshot 2022-12-06 080708.jpg

eclark1894

Visionary
1910 and 1928 are way before my time too... technically, I'm a baby boomer since I was born in mid 1959. Seashore House, itself is based on real building plans from the turn of the century. The house has a couple bathroom, although not much bigger than outhouses. I had a second model I started after Seashore House never finished (that I recently stumbled upon) called Lakefront House-- another house from real building plans. Maybe some day I'll finish that.

View attachment 76553
Heh. I looked at your avatar and I just always assumed you were older than me. Turns out, I'm a year older than you. I'm panicking trying to sign up for Medicare now.

Your LakeFront House reminds me of a house that used to be here in Raleigh, NC. I think it was called the Dobbs or Dobbsdale House or something like that.

eclark1894

Visionary
Did a quick search. It was called the Dodd-Hinsdale House. It was built in 1879 and looked a lot like the style of house you have there.
1670350865816.png

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
I've got a slew of books on architecture of that period, including a handful of them collections of that kind of house plans. They were very popular in magazines and any number of places like Sears and some other mail-order businesses sold such plans, as well as Kit houses. There are a number of areas around town where your can find a lot of the ones built fro those plans. Mostly pre-WWI but they continued on into the '30s.

Post WWII it's been mostly subdivisions built on spec. But over the first half of the 20th century it was common to buy a lot and then build your own house on it.

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Another item, 2/3 done... I still need to create the shower nozzle and then a separate model of the curtain (which is attached to the ceiling and drapes over the tub edges)... then of course, finish the UVs. The plumbing on the crawlfoot was tricky to get accurate.

Screenshot 2022-12-07 182824.jpg